It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Has Landed!!

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

The cameras serve different functions. The right tool for the job.

MAHLI is designed for closeup images not distance, it will act as microscope. Can your iPad resolve 15 microns?
The navcams are for obtaining images of the surrounding terrain for navigation.

edit on 8/8/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Interesting question from the briefing:

NASA are asked if they will screen any images with possible biological formations.

NASA answered that they would leave interpretation of objects in images up to the individual, and that they are going to be very careful with any profound discoveries. They didn't answer if any of the images are going to be screened.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
Interesting question from the briefing:

NASA are asked if they will screen any images with possible biological formations.

NASA answered that they would leave interpretation of objects in images up to the individual, and that they are going to be very careful with any profound discoveries. They didn't answer if any of the images are going to be screened.

IK caught that too, waiting to be able to download the press briefing later to isolate the question and answer. Classic case of....
Never
A
Straight
Answer

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If you do your researches, you'll discover that the mahli cam can also take superb far-view pictures. Not only sh#tty brown tinted and pixelated ones. As for the navcams, technology-speaking, there's no reasons to have such mediocre full res pictures.

Anyway, the "exploration" has just begun so let see what they'll offer us.

edit on 8-8-2012 by D1ss1dent because: typo

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
By the way, what about video and audio? Are we to believe they have again gone to all this trouble and there is no audio capability? This came up with the last round of landers, why wouldn't they include some sort of audio (let alone, video)?

Why is the picture of the lander parachuting down in black and white and terrible res? Did they just use a "hazcam" for that too?

See, this is their problem, today, we know better. But, they act like it is still 1969 and they can just feed us any explanation or rationalization they wish.

No, you act like it's 1969. Because it already has been explained OVER AND OVER. And the picture with the chute was taken from the Mars Orbiter, from some several hundred mls away. (Correct me if i am wrong about the distance, too lazy to look this up now).
edit on 8-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by D1ss1dent
reply to post by some guy there
As for the navcams, technology-speaking, there's no reasons to have such mediocre full res pictures.

There certainly IS a reason. First, there is a reason they are called "engineering" cams, there is no reason for 8MP full blown color images to make sure the wheels touch down properly and are not obstructed.

Read up on the data transfer rate from Curiiosity with Earth (32kB/s) and to the two orbiters, which is 2MB/s and 256kB/s respectively - with the data transfer to the orbiters ONLY having a daily window of 8 minutes (!!) where they can transfer data to the orbiters (and then from them Earth). It therefore makes A LOT of sense not wasting bandwidth/data, transmission time etc..if the same can be achieved with smaller, b/w pictures.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

As for the navcams, technology-speaking, there's no reasons to have such mediocre full res pictures.

There certainly IS a reason. First, there is a reason they are called "engineering" cams, there is no reason for 8MP full blown color images to make sure the wheels touch down properly and are not obstructed.

Read up on the data transfer rate from Curiiosity with Earth (32kB/s) and to the two orbiters, which is 2MB/s and 256kB/s respectively - with the data transfer to the orbiters ONLY having a daily window of 8 minutes (!!) where they can transfer data to the orbiters (and then from them Earth). It therefore makes A LOT of sense not wasting bandwidth/data, transmission time etc..if the same can be achieved with smaller, b/w pictures.

Just a supporting document...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

EDIT AFTERTHOUGHT:

I can imagine much longer transmit times if sound were included as well as power requirements.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Terminal1 because: Added afterthought.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

Originally posted by flexy123

Just a supporting document...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

EDIT AFTERTHOUGHT:

I can imagine much longer transmit times if sound were included as well as power requirements.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Terminal1 because: Added afterthought.

Thanks for the link to the Data Rates/Returns

According to the link it could take up to 20 hours to transmit 31.25 MB of data back to earth. About 1.5 MB per hour (Assuming the data is transmitted continuously for 20 hours straight) which does not seem to be the case:

The rover can only transmit direct-to-Earth for a few hours a day due to power limitations or conflicts with other planned activities, even though Earth may be in view much longer.

No wonder those hi-res images take 'long' to be beamed back to earth.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted already, but looks like curiosity caught a photo of something in the distance.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by iLLest

No. It caught something very close.
Dust on the protective lens cover.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLLest
I don't know if this was posted already, but looks like curiosity caught a photo of something in the distance.

news.yahoo.com...

yep, been posted as predicted. Won't be the last time I'm sure....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by LordAdef

Looks like...a rock.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Well, we all know the odds are it's a rock, or part of the descenting module.
I'll hold this and wait for further pictures. But it still looks different for me, from the rocks around.

This aside, don't you feel amazed by staring at that chain of mountains in the backgroung? What a scenario...god...and there's just sol 2.

...and the prospect of the most glorious pictures at the top of the target mountain!
Thanks Phage.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

This aside, don't you feel amazed by staring at that chain of mountains in the backgroung?

I find myself surprised by my amazement. A relatively low quality image and it absolutely fascinates me.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Toxicsurf

I personally find this great. In this way we can carry on here and form a tight group to talk about ours things (as ""believers"" rsrs) and they carry on there discussing the hoax and complaining about the "bad b&h low res pictures and the money wasted bla bla bla".

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree with the both of you. This is just amazing and I don't think I have ever studied any pictures with such fascination ever in life.

Another thing that fascinates me is our local news stations have been covering this in every broadcast since the landing itself. Really makes me feel as if more than just the geeks are paying attention which I consider a very good thing indeed.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It's like a little boys Nursery school I have come upon here... (gone in 60 sec. quote)

Very spectacular...
Im extremely happy for this moment
Wooooo. Good job to all the folks at NASA!
WOO HOOO!! That was so exciting to watch! I was on the edge of my seat & cheered with the guys!!
Im glued to Nasa Tv right now hah but thanks alot!
CONGRATULATIONS NASA...AND CONGRATULATIONS U.S.A.!

Guess yall forgot NASA is funded by the DOD. Have you guys never viewed the airbrushed photos of the moon?
These are probably pics from some General's backyard in AZ.
Live feed, now that one really cracks me up...

Grow up and accept reality!!!!

edit on 8-8-2012 by GoKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Curiosity has landed!! Stay tuned for further brain washing. Deny the fact your world is being controlled, and accept the fact you will do nothing about it.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoKill

reply to post by nine11

Thanks for sharing.

Anyway, looking forward to what goodies will be shown tomorrow! Some really nice images so far, can't wait for the exploration stage!

edit on 8-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is my favorite shot so far. Every time I stare at it, it really blows my mind.

Here is a larger version
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 8-8-2012 by Holosapien because: Add larger img link

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoKill
It's like a little boys Nursery school I have come upon here... (gone in 60 sec. quote)

Very spectacular...
Im extremely happy for this moment
Wooooo. Good job to all the folks at NASA!
WOO HOOO!! That was so exciting to watch! I was on the edge of my seat & cheered with the guys!!
Im glued to Nasa Tv right now hah but thanks alot!
CONGRATULATIONS NASA...AND CONGRATULATIONS U.S.A.!

Guess yall forgot NASA is funded by the DOD. Have you guy never viewed the airbrushed photos of the moon?
These are probably pics from some General's backyard in AZ.
Live feed, now that one really cracks me up...

Grow up and accept reality!!!!

So your saying this is all fake.......? What would the point of that be?

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join