It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Has Landed!!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
reply to post by CaptainBeno

looks like there may be caves to explore at Mt Sharp

I have a question on this:
Since it's the first time a rover is facing a mountain target, let's assume for a second it encounters a cave.. Does curiosity have means to investigate it? Say it photograph its interior somehow?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordAdef

Since it's the first time a rover is facing a mountain target, let's assume for a second it encounters a cave.. Does curiosity have means to investigate it? Say it photograph its interior somehow?

Probably depends on the size of the cave. I know if I was in charge I would nix the idea of entrance for now. I don't know how sound is transmitted in the Martian atmosphere but I would be scared to risk something falling on the rover. Also, on entrance, would signal be lost?

Just a couple of scarey scenarios that leap to my mind. I would absolutely never live it down if I was in charge and something bad happened to the rover at such an early stage of the mission.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulece

Soulece, the place of interest in the picture is hidden when you are on Ipad as I am. I just realized now what you meant about the white dots. Sorry man.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

Originally posted by LordAdef

Probably depends on the size of the cave. I know if I was in charge I would nix the idea of entrance for now. I don't know how sound is transmitted in the Martian atmosphere but I would be scared to risk something falling on the rover. Also, on entrance, would signal be lost?

Just a couple of scarey scenarios that leap to my mind. I would absolutely never live it down if I was in charge and something bad happened to the rover at such an early stage of the mission.

I agree. But considering the great enviroment that a cave is for science, life, etc, wouldn't it be tragic being unable to step inside and have a look? I wouldn't risk it either but I would certainly crying a lot for missing it.

That's an interesting scenario isn't it?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
about 5 shills jumped on me on this thread last night for saying anything about this being a fake .
I am , according to them , supposed to trust human nature ?
My fellow man.
Yeah right
edit on 7-8-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
you know what they say "Curiosity killed the cat"
I have a bad feeling about this planet!!

quick get that thing outta there before it's to late!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulece

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican
reply to post by Soulece

Im on my phone so the photo gets snipped off about halfway...

Sorry bud maybe tomorrow when im on the PC.

Finally somebody paying attention. Look at it closely when you can. I know the cutoff is bad but it's on the far right.

Two white dots appear on the far right. Look closely. It was just something that stood out when I first saw it. Im glad there's a photo so people cant say I'm making it up.

For those that do not know I was watching the live feed when the FIRST photos were being shown. It was maybe 3 am. And I saw this after a guy telling people around him what he found. Then the room got estatic. Then is showed on the screen. Then somebody from another thread heard what I was trying to say went back and snagged a photo of it. It was the last photo before the feed went off. All you all only see if what NASA wants to show you. Thats why I tuned in. They cant edit photos as they are being seen for the first time. They will not reveal this photo. I have it, however. So hah NASA!
edit on 7-8-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

To be honest, you are WAAAYYY too excited by two boring white dots on images where we already know there are dust particles and stuff everywhere.

But, to give you credit, i *think* i remember this particular picture, it was shown at that news conference, there was a lady explaining this is a view of the crater's rim or something. Later on, some press guy asked her again about the direction the rover is facing and she confirmed the camera is facing the mountain. (So i remember). And i *think* it was that picture shown on the screen.

YOU ARE CORRECT in so far that this particular image is not (yet?) in the collection of mars images from the rover, why, i don't know.

But you could make this entire thing easier if your screen shot would have displayed the file name of this particular image - but it cuts off on that screen so the filename cannot be read.
edit on 7-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

Oh yea
I am definitely with you. If they were caves, passing them would be like passing by gift wrapped boxes complete with bows and a tag with your name on them as you walk down a sidewalk... the curiosity would drive me to drinking lol.

The structures and formations inside not disturbed by storm and Sun alone would warrant a manned mission

Dag gone it! Now you got me all twisted up in thought lol

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ihnen
you know what they say "Curiosity killed the cat"
I have a bad feeling about this planet!!

quick get that thing outta there before it's to late!!!!

Let's hope there are no cats on Mars for Curiosity to kill

After all, Curiosity is armed with a rock blasting laser so cats wouldn't stand a chance...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
about 5 shills jumped on me on this thread last night for saying anything about this being a fake .
I am , according to them , supposed to trust human nature ?
My fellow man.
Yeah right

What the...

I don't even...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Curiosity will kill the cat.. do we really need to spend billions for toys that are made to look for visible matters? In this age and time, we are supposed to discover the invisible which is more important to us all. Anyways, why are folks not complaining that their tax money is wasted on primitive things by hobby scientists?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by DARREN1976

14 minutes, actually.
Current distance to Mars: 154,678,597miles
Speed of light: 186,000 mps
154,678,597/186,000 = 831 seconds = 13.86 minutes

Thanks phage I knew it wasnt nowhere near 30 minutes anyway, but yes, I can understand bits of data getting lost in transition over such a vast distance, so people screaming conspiricies over black and white pics etc. .....dont even rise to it, many people have tried to explain over 3 pages the reasons for black and white pics, and no instant color hd pics available yet, reaons for that, hazard cams etcetera, but certain individuals either have blinkers on or dont read threads properly before answering so there is no point explaining really.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Curiosity has got bells and whistles hanging all over it , its driven by Santa Claus , runs on floridated coca cola ,
and has its own auto self destruct button , its own cloaking device , its own sun-hat ,
and the best thing is ,
its the new psuedo-reality , all the rage on mars , so curiosity is one fashionable bitch up there
Father Christmas is in extasy about it , all the kids 'll be well happy this year ...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulece

I actually did some research now, i can tell you that the image you show here is actually the corrected version of

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

--> RLA_397506144EDR_D0010008AUT_04096M_.JPG

You can also see the image here:

greekgeek.hubpages.com...

And you will see there are no white dots. So why your screen shot shows white dots and the others don't, i don't know. The second one is the same snapshot taken from the conference.

The image in question, by the way, shows the sun-set and it needs heavy processing to even see anything since the sun blacks everything out due to extreme contrast. This just to prove that your image does indeed exist.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
HAHA speaking of Saint Nick what are you planning to get for X-mas, Cause I sure do need a mars rover that runs on floridated coca cola, its own auto self destruct button and a sun-hat!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here is the first colour image received from curiosity:

Hope this quells some of the 'omg wtf there are no colours, NASA rip off' responses. I'm betting there will still be another on the next page though...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ihnen

How about a pimped version that can land on asteroids ?
Alloys , spoilers , the lot .
Fluffy dice , tinted windows , loud exhaust pipe
Its Santa's birthday present , shhh

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Here is the Mount Sharp image that has had the fisheye effect removed:

Note the curious geometric shaped dips or pits in the foreground before the mountain.

There is also a very curiously shaped rock(s) on the far left of the original image (far left horizon), but it's just been cropped in half in this image. Hopefully, we'll get to see more in subsequent images.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Hope this quells some of the 'omg wtf there are no colours, NASA rip off' responses. I'm betting there will still be another on the next page though...

Note the dust cover is still ON with this picture, they shot it through the dust cover.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Note the dust cover is still ON with this picture, they shot it through the dust cover.

Indeed. I am looking forward to when the dust settles and they can safely take it off without damaging the lens!

Still, the image is relatively good, even with the cover on. This all looks very promising indeed!
edit on 7-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join