It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turn The Other Cheek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I wanted to offer a possibly different interpretation.

But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Now, I was wondering how many of you have seen this before.

Notice the Bindi dot?

en.wikipedia.org...

The faces represent, your male and female, light and dark aspects of the self, while the middle face represents the balance or the God-consciousness of the two. Think of it as your three eyes. You have two main eyes, one for masculine side, and one for feminine side. The pineal gland is between the two, representing the middle path is the road less traveled to illumination.

Now as for quote above, I had different idea. What if it meant that when evil comes to your doorstep, you show them no mercy. If somebody breaks into your house and attempts to attack your family and do who-knows-what, do you just 'ignore' it all or do you destroy that invader? Like hatred will me met with like contempt. Bring me no dis-respect, and I will give you none in return. Or could be boiled down to; Treat others the way you want to be treated, and if they show you otherwise, treat them the way that they treat you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

What if it meant that when evil comes to your doorstep, you show them no mercy. If somebody breaks into your house and attempts to attack your family and do who-knows-what, do you just 'ignore' it all or do you destroy that invader? Like hatred will me met with like contempt. Bring me no dis-respect, and I will give you none in return. Or could be boiled down to; Treat others the way you want to be treated, and if they show you otherwise, treat them the way that they treat you.

I agree on the male/female and the balance. However, I never did go with the "turn the other cheek" thing. I am a trained soldier. If my family is threatened I will kill without mercy until I go down.
I give respect to those who respect me.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Turn the other cheek, give them your cloak also, and carry their crap an extra mile if they ask you to go one, these sayings must be understood in the historical framework they were given, which was how to deal with the "enemy" or Roman occupier. To "turn the other cheeck" meant to force him to punch you straight on, after merely slapping you the first time, giving them your cloak as well when they ask for your tunic leaves you in your underwear, and carrying their stuff an extra MILE when a mile is already too far - all these things were intended to "heap burning coals" of shame and embarassment on your oppressor, while retaining your own dignity and integrity. The audiance, in hearing these propositions, would have almost certainly laughed at what Jesus was suggesting, or some of them anyway, if they "got" what he was suggesting, which they would have. So it's a type of joke at your enemy's expense, on top of an immense degree of courage for the sake of what is right and just.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Judging from the context of everything Jesus said (I should say, from what was recorded of what he supposedly said, at least), I don't believe that was his meaning. So, no: I don't think it could be interpreted that way.

Not to say that it's not an interesting philosophical point of its own--it is....
edit on 8/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Dear VeritasAequitas,

Sorry but you cannot get to the answer you want. We have to look at everything Jesus said and did and you will see that he meant exactly what he said. When they came to take Jesus, one of the apostles (Peter), drew his short sword and cut off the ear of the person who came for Jesus. Jesus told him to put away his sword and healed the mans ear and then he let them take him off to be crucified. A lot of people who call themselves christians have a problem with pacifism, it is a tough pill to swallow; but, it is what he taught and what we are told to do. Forgiveness and pacifism, truly loving your brother as much as you love yourself, giving your life for others, that is the essence of what a Christian should be and opening is narrow. Peace.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
I wanted to offer a possibly different interpretation.

But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

I have heard a very interesting interpretation of this quote from someone that could be considered a theologian. My own interpretatation would be that we should not cower from evil, but his interpretation, although I thought it was silly at the time, does add some perspective. He suggested that this was strict instruction on how to behave when faced with evil, if it smite the right cheek, offer it the left cheek. If it smite the left cheek, you are absolved of peaceful resolve and any further wickedness should be met with a totality of furocity and force, and ones enemy should be made to offer full recompence, how ever it be excepted. It seemed corny at the time, but he assured me that their would be no heavenly toll if the enemy had two opportunities to reconsider. I myself have long been a firm believer in an eye for an eye, but I could find peace and absolution in such a notion.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Turning the other cheek here only meant showing them your wicked face after they have denounced your compassionate one.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

How about not "trying" to do anything (nice or mean) but just be HONEST?

If someone does something bad to you, you can confront them to ask them questions about why they did it, and if the excuses are not good, it is your choice to get mad and stay clear of them, or to forgive them. Honesty is the only thing that matters here, no point in saying "I forgive you" if you will hold on to anger, anyway...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I believe in forgiveness whole-heartedly, however there are times when it will cost you everything. There are others who's malice and contempt stop their hearts from acknowledging such a thing. As such, they will never understand it, and only put you in danger. Treat others the way you want to be treated; until you are mistreated and then treat those the same way they treat you.

The God in us about achieving the balance in the two forces of light and dark, this can not happen by locking the dark in the closet. You must know when such actions are appropriate, I.E responding to a home invasion with like aggression and force.
edit on 6-8-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I never really thought of it as turning and showing a different side of yourself, which is a very interesting point of view. One can only be pushed so far and it is understandable that one would want to protect themselves where need be.

It was written in Mark 4:33-34 (this is just one translation and I understand there are many out there)

And with many such parables He was speaking the word to them as they were able to hear it and He did not speak to them without a parable; but He was explaining everything privately to His own disciples.

The passage clearly states that anything Christ said had another underlying meaning which was only given to actual disciples. I see it as many of the scriptures are open to interpretation of a sense that would "come to you" while reading or discerning the word.

new topics

top topics

join