It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't expect too much right after the Curiosity landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
When Curiosity lands on Mars (what we all hope), don't expect high quality amazing images the minute it landed.

I read that the best we can get right after a successful landing is some tiny/grayscale thumbnail pictures from the "hazcams".

>>>
"A set of low-resolution gray scale Hazcam images will be acquired within minutes of landing on the surface," said Justin Maki of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Once all of the critical systems have been checked out by the engineering team and the mast is deployed, the rover will image the landing site with higher-resolution cameras."
>>>

>>
The very first images are likely to arrive more than two hours after landing, due to the timing of NASA's signal-relaying Odyssey orbiter. They will be captured with the left and right Hazcams at the back and front of the rover, and they will not yet be full-resolution (the two images arriving on Earth first are "thumbnail" copies, which are 64 by 64 pixels in size
>>

>>
Once engineers have determined that it is safe to deploy the rover's Remote Sensing Mast and its high-tech cameras, a process that may take several days, Curiosity will begin to survey its exotic surroundings.
>>

At this point, all we want is the rover arriving well....but for potential spectacular new high-res image we might have to wait a few days.

Read: www.nasa.gov...

edit on 5-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

I'll just be very happy if, as we expect to get confirmation it landed safely, there isn't a lone voice from far in the rear of mission control asking "Was that meters or feet??".

I'm sure this package will be a real thrill to watch. Here is hoping it all goes perfectly in a short time.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
im not expecting anything lol

thats why im not watching. if i want scripted drama, ill watch tv

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Richard C is now on coast to coast and will be monitoring the landing live.
streamingradioguide.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's down and apparently working. What an exciting time in so many ways!

Here's hoping it's manned soon.

Thumbnails received... it's working!

new topics

top topics

join