It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox "News" Complains US Athletes Aren`t Patriotic Enough

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It was already bad enough when our athletes marched out in military style uniforms, showing our culture and I suppose their "patriotism."

Not all the countries are wearing their flag colors, and the athletes I see so far seem to be wearing enough of our colors. (Note, I've watched maybe one or two events in passing).

I always thought athletes didn't have a choice in what they wore when they compete. I thought the performance uniforms were picked out by an Olympic committee.

The athletes are patriotic enough. None of them have defected to another countries team, on the televised scoreboard next to their name is a little American flag, and the announcers declare they are American. They proudly win, not just for themselves, but for our country.

Fox just has to find a fault in something to divide and anger people. If Fox was a monster, I'd swear they do these things too feed off of people's negative emotions.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ
reply to post by pointr97

I recall hearing this argument years ago in an attempt to trample our nations flag. The "Bloods" choosing red to symbolize the blood that spill from his homies gat does not equal the meaning a nation state will assign to its flag. And basing your logic on a gang banger calling his gas station bought dew rag a flag is pathetic to say the least.

Please, do recall how the sacred flag of the United States of America got it's start....Please, don't muddle the argument. I have heard arguments such as you are giving by the narrow minded, and it gets old. An icon is an icon, nothing more and nothing less. A flag is a hand full of cloth and dye, it in itself means nothing. The meaning behind it is what the individual gives it, nothing more and nothing less. That gives All icons the same value, the value that those who use it as a symbol of THEIR values, not yours. So no, I wouldn't expect you to hold any gang sign, or oh another countries flag in esteem, because it isn't your symbol of your values. Please, next time you debate philosophy, read a little.
edit on 5-8-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

reply to post by RealSpoke

A flag is nothing more than a socially acceptable gang sign anyway.

No...your wrong.

You still haven't proven this, besides sticking your tongue out and saying, 'no'

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

What I find the epitome of patriotism, is when is when a group of good ole boys get in their Toyota Pick up truck waving an old glory made in China, drinking Corona and screaming USA, USA at the top of their lungs.

My heart just swells with pride.

I think this is Fox news view of patriotism.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I just have to second that.....nothing more.

edit-wait, no, i can't leave it at that.....When you jump into a Ford and mazda is stamped on the engine. When the good ole boys are screaming for american values by wanting us to vote for Romney, who is a Mormon (which i don't care about but the hard line Christians seem to care about, at least when it doesn't concern their candidate) and spent his career in business as a guy that stripped companies, sold them off and outsourced jobs to india. And this is the Conservative President republicans think will do OUR FLAG justice.....sorry, just can't buy that load of steamy poo.
edit on 5-8-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
My son was watching her the other week and said "nice, i'd get with her"

Damn kids have crushes in gr 3 nowadays lol

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Ha...I'm certainly no student of philosophy, but you obviously are one of those people who have such an open mind, that your brains fell out. To use the area of philosophy to draw a moral equivalence between a gang banger and a statesman is essentially what your doing. Your the kind of person who says the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution of the United States are just "piece of paper". And I'm ok with that, but i reject your 'values" 100%.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Again this stupid Fox bashing for a stupid non issue.

What is wrong with a "commentator" bringing up a topic which is worthy of discussion? This isn't FOX news campaigning, this is one person's view and a discussion of that view.

I don't want to be a shill for Fox but have to totally agree that these stupid ugly grey uniforms etc are lacking.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
For FOX, patriotism is just about imagery. They do not understand real patriotism. If you have to wear it on your shirt or otherwise display it, you are nothing but a poseur. Real patriotism is about action (often selfless) and sacrifice. Groups like FOX are an insult to the concept of patriotism because they've shamelessly bastardized the idea of patriotism. Most of the pundits on FOX are cowards and twist patriotism for their own self interest, regardless of how much it hurts the Nation.

Here is a diverse small list some REAL patriots who did what few others can or will in defense of their own rights or the rights of others.

- Rosa Parks
- Luttrell Marcus
- George Washington
- Nicola Tesla
- Ron Paul
- Tom Hanks
- Tom Brokaw
- Mohammad Ali
- Frederick Douglas
- Ben Franklin
- Jesse Owens
- John Glenn
- Omar Bradley
- Pat Tillman

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

You do realize this is your opinion right? "real" patriotism? gimme a break! Many of those are capitalism or ingenuity, but patriotism?

"real" patriotism, imho, is giving your life for the country so others can enjoy freedom. Too many to list.

edit on 6-8-2012 by 2XOHsurf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Ha...I'm certainly no student of philosophy, but you obviously are one of those people who have such an open mind, that your brains fell out. To use the area of philosophy to draw a moral equivalence between a gang banger and a statesman is essentially what your doing. Your the kind of person who says the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution of the United States are just "piece of paper". And I'm ok with that, but i reject your 'values" 100%.

The problem with having a discussion with those of shallow perspective is that you don't realize what you have just said....Yes, the Declaration of Independence IS just paper, it is not the paper that matters, it could be burned a million times over, it is the MEANING that we put to it. Due to the fact that you frivolously discard the values of others show you really don't put any value to the Declaration of Independence or Constitution, because their inherent value that we give them is that of Freedom......

Just because someone puts a 'value' into something and holds it dear makes it no less valuable to them as say your bible, flag, or cross. It does show that you don't care about freedom, look around, there are brawls at football games because someone insulted the other teams mascot or colors....how is that any different? People put value on objects, you want to discredit the group fine, but order your argument so that it actually makes sense.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Wait. This is.... news? There's a lot happening out there in this big world (and beyond).... yet a 24 hour news outlet devotes a sizeable chunk of time to opining about "subtle anti-Americanism" and not showing enough "exceptionalism"?

I always get that warm, fuzzy feeling on the 4th of July (or any time, really), when I see the masses proudly waving their Chinese-made American flags.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I take it there were not watching the ladies Football (soccer), last night. Was a great atmosphere with lots of USA USA USA. The kits blue white and red. Very patriotic fans and players from what I saw.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Patriots are merely people who are weak against propaganda.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 2XOHsurf

It's more than just a comment from a guest, Fox has made it a headline questioning patriotism of US Olympic athletes.

I for one am so glad Fox "News" is right there to raise concerns about the patriotism of these men and women. Maybe they need to break into a rousing chorus of "America, F*** Yea!" at every opportunity to appease the talking heads at everyone's favorite news entertainment network.
edit on 8-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join