It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tucson Shooting Survivors Appear in New Ad Demanding Plan to End Gun Violence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is our right and the government is hell bent on removing it. What gets me is how the citizens are blamed for any gun problems. If there is ANY new legislation on gun control it is an attack on the citizens.

What about the GD companies who are making these assault weapons? Why wouldn't you go after them first?

If someone is killed with an assault weapon then go after the manufacture. How does a military grade weapon end up on the streets of Detroit? HALT the production of ANY assault weapons. Hand guns and shotguns are for personal protection, sport shooting and hunting. Hand guns are already controlled with an existing set of laws. No need to make new ones just follow and enforce the current law. It seems to me the police and justice system are failing and allowing these nuts to walk. These weapons are made out of country or within a relatively small group of companies. Start holding them accountable for allowing these weapons to get to the public.

To all people in favor of removing our 2nd Amendment Right. You can write all the laws you want but if the "criminals" don't follow them the only people with guns will be them and the police/Gov. Law abiding good people will be easy prey for criminals and controlling tyrannical governments. Educate and Arm our citizens. Stop production of assault weapons and hold the police departments and federal agencies accountable for their failures. They have been given enormous power within the Patriot Act to monitor all communications, they have highly developed "fusion centers" that streamline information and when a tragedy involving a psychopath using a gun it's all of a sudden the fault of the citizens and yet ANOTHER one of our rights should be stripped way.

Seems all the recent events and political topics are meshing these days. Seems shady to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Just reported this disgusting video for "Harmful Dangerous Acts" - "Suicide or self injury". These people are attempting to start a second civil war. They are openly calling for the destruction of the second amendment.

This is insanity! This is madness! Do they WANT for our country to be destroyed in a massive all out battle between the armed and those that seek to disarm them?

This needs to be taken down IMMEDIATELY! If you agree please use the report abuse option at the bottom of the video.
edit on 6-8-2012 by DirectDemocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It would be impossible for those types of restrictions to work in the US. We already are saturated with guns. Honest people give them up, only criminals will have them.

Yeah I know - the US is a culture all of its own in the western world as far as guns go.

But that is something the US has to address - you want to have guns? Fine - stop whining about peoplwe getting shot. you don't want so many people getting shot? fine - stop making guns such a religion.

Funny most of the"whining" around here seems to come from outraged Europeans Brits and Aussies. Berating our fight to hang onto our arms."MYOB"...
" if they don't want a" civil disturbance" then maybe they should quit disturbing us"
Mama liberty"

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. I expected it to be honest, especially after the Wisconsin "massacre" as the media is labeling it. I get a kick out of the way the media spins newstories and the titles and names they come up with is clearly meant to tug at the heartstrings and strike fear, sadness or whatever emotion they are trying to portray. I was wondering how long it would be before we started to hear about "what to do" to fix the problem but I think with our economy and jobs situation being what it is at the moment we may get a reprieve on any new gun laws. Most likely wishful thinking but time will tell.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Arm everyone. Add weapons training to middle school curriculum. Statistics show that areas with loose gun laws have fewer attacks. An armed society is a polite society.

I think your plan is perfect. Why do I get the sense that "demand a plan" already has a plan that doesn't involve any of those things?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WIKDHOTSNOMAN

"Assault weapons" are used in so few crimes as to be almost statistically unmeasureable.

besides an "assault rifle" is a fully automatic firearm: one pull of the trigger and the gun discharges until all ammunition is expended; or the shooter releases the trigger. They can be legally owned but are are highly regulated and taxed.

The import IS ALREADY banned;(there is a limited number of "class III" weapons available for transfer to legally qualified and rich buyers)...

What non "gun people" call "assault rifles" are semi automatic military look a likes; One pull of the trigger= one discharge.These military styled rifles are ballistically inferior(less powerful) than commonly available hunting cartridges.and these hunting cartridges are also available in semi-automatic rifle actions.

So before you go calling to ban something you know nothing about I suggest you think twice. Because it just makes us "slippery slopers" more engaged...

"Ban all semiautomatics!: There goes Ruger's 10/22; the most popular.22lr rifle in the world.
The marlin model 60,.remington 597...all semi auto .22's. . and the Remington 1100 the most popular hunting shotgun in the country. All extremely popular pure sporting arms.all fire one cartridge with each pull of the trigger.None routinely found at crime scenes.

Personally I'm a bolt-action guy anyway; one ban away from the the dreaded "high power sniper rifle" which will be next.

Which is considered to be any high powered centerfire bolt action with a scope. (common 30.06 or .308 hunting rifle qualifies)
Even Though the military tends toward the "big mac" mc millan ,50 cal.semiauto for long range cover fire.and counter sniper warfare. or the semiauto m1a ( m14 variant).

edit on 7-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Arm everyone. Add weapons training to middle school curriculum. Statistics show that areas with loose gun laws have fewer attacks. An armed society is a polite society.

Statistics show that pretty much every country in the world that has gun laws also has much lower incidents of gun related crime.

my home country of New Zealand apparently has about 1.1 million firearms for a population of 4.5 million - so it can hardly be said to be "unarmed". Australia has about 20 million people and somewhere between 2.5 and 5 million guns (estimates/survey results vary/are argued about)

An armed society is a dangerous society - especially an american armed society.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

There is an odd fixation with the U.S and especially when it comes to news. Perhaps some view the U.S as a benchmark, i dont see it that way myself. Why is this? Is i a through the looking glass mentality?

I have never even seen crimes committed in other countries making the news but violent crimes certainly occur there.

Look at the statistics:

en.wikipedia.org...

Plus there may be some fudging of the records in other countries to lower their rates. For example, a homeless person turns up with a bullet in them and it is not recorded.

edit on 7-8-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

And all the handicapped kids....
well # 'em!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
So implementing more rules on who can get their hands on DEADLY devices is bad?

Only in America.....
Yes. It is bad. Guns do not cause violence any more than cars cause accidents or spoons cause obesity.

I use cars and spoons all the time without killing anything.
The only thing I can do with my gun without risking a life is practice.

Good luck getting to work on your gun though.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

No, they are giving a valid opinion on a highly emotive issue, as is their right.

You however, are trying to drown out opinions that don't support your own - the very height of ignorance!

No-one is asknig you to agree with them, but its expected for you to at least respect them.

Maybe, just maybe, your precious Constitution isn't quite the timeless classic you think it might be.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
So implementing more rules on who can get their hands on DEADLY devices is bad?

Only in America.....

So, do you have knives?... Do you know why knives were created?... You can kill with knives, why don't YOU BAN KNIVES???... Only in your country...

How about alcohol?... More people die from alcohol than from guns, not to mention that it is a flammable that is A DEADLY WEAPON, yet, is it banned in your country?...

You have to be an idiot claiming that guns are evil, or that criminals will not get their hands on illegal firearms like THEY ALWAYS DO...

Want to see the crimes figures in your country, or any other where guns have been banned or heavily restricted?...

edit on 7-8-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

So, do you have knives?... Do you know why knives were created?... You can kill with knives, why don't YOU BAN KNIVES???... Only in your country...

I use knives all day without killing anything.
How do guns apply to that?

How about alcohol?... More people die from alcohol than from guns, not to mention that it is a flammable that is A DEADLY WEAPON, yet, is it banned in your country?...

Alcohol is widely used in hospitals to heal the sick. Any gun that does that?

You have to be an idiot claiming that guns are evil, or that criminals will not get their hands on illegal firearms like THEY ALWAYS DO...

Just tell me what else guns are good for other than harming living things?

Want to see the crimes figures in your country, or any other where guns have been banned or heavily restricted?...

edit on 7-8-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

Sure

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I see only one way to end gun violence. And it is a way to end violence in general. To understand the answer, one needs to understand the problem. There has never in the history of mankind been an instance where a weapon of any type perpetrated any act of aggression without human involvement. Since the common factor isn't the weapon, but the human wielding the weapon, that is where we need to focus our solution.

What is the only real solution? Get rid of the aggression. How? Eugenics. Create a more passive subset of humans. Once we stop humans from being violent, then the gun issue takes care of itself.

Okay, back to reality. It really doesn't matter what the laws are, if someone wants to commit an act of violence, they will. Does that mean that we don't need laws? Absolutely not. Does that mean that gun ownership should be outlawed? Not just no, but H#ll no. We just need to understand as a society that there will always be individuals who will commit acts of violence against others. Welcome to life. Just be vigilant.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I really can't stand when certain groups who are emotionally driven about an issue try to take their cause to Washington (Mother's Against Drunk Driving) or do something like these shooting survivors are doing.

Yes they have every right to speak out, but these are the last people that we should listen to about gun control laws for the exact reason that MADD should be the last people we look to for answers about drunk driving.

These people are about as biased as it gets and are the worse possible source to get a rational stance that objectively looks at the issue. We really need to stop trying to craft legislation because certain people are emotionally driven to make it happen.

Science, statistics, rationality, common sense, logic...NOT emotion, revenge, what about the children!!, etc.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
Science, statistics, rationality, common sense, logic...

So you understand that using those, you will find that countries with more gun laws have less gun violence.

NOT emotion, revenge, what about the children!!, etc.

Now using that you will cry about your freedom to bear arms against the King of England.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Gun haters are so blinded by their illogical fear in an inanimate object, that they can not see passed the ignorance of their agenda.

The following proves this fact but they ignore it simply because if they ever confronted it rationally, it would utterly decimate their twisted cause;

Gun hater's flawed logic:

"If you don't allow citizens to have guns or ban all guns (or assault guns/magazines), those crazy people won't have access to them."

Proof that this foolish notion is completely without foundation;

Heroin is highly illegal, schedule 1 drug in the USA. There is zero reason to legally possess it under any circumstance, medical or other plus it carries lengthily prison sentences to do so.

In yet, heroin (along with many other fully illegal drugs etc) can very easily be acquired/purchased/traded within a matter of minutes by anyone, even kids. Fact. Weapons are no different!

This is an undeniable fact. Therefore anyone who advocates firearm bans and/or more gun control laws are either ignorant, painfully naive or have a nefarious agenda...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kneverr

Or that possibly, just possibly, trends relating to the procurement of an extremely addictive (and lucrative) drug might not be directly comparible to trends relating to ownership of a form of weaponry.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Tucson shooting survivors demand end to gun violence in new YouTube video campaign.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe
reply to post by kneverr

Or that possibly, just possibly, trends relating to the procurement of an extremely addictive (and lucrative) drug might not be directly comparible to trends relating to ownership of a form of weaponry.

Illegal Drugs & firearms will be forever intertwined, to believe or pretend differently is almost an act of desperation from the gun haters... illegal guns are already a lucrative business; not as big as drugs in-itself, I agree but that would change over night if they ever implemented a firearm ban in America!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
*facepalm*
I fired off a good 400 rounds of ammo today and no-one got killed. No living creature was harmed.
I must be using my guns wrong.

The whole "end gun violence" movement is just silly. The idea of it is great, sure. I'm sure every last person here can agree that they would prefer that NO gun violence occur.

Saying that tighter restrictions on guns will help that cause, however, is just naive and ignorant. It is... There's no other way about it.

Kneverr recently mentioned heroin. It's ILLEGAL. It's not just heavily regulated and difficult to legally get, it's ILLEGAL and intended to be IMPOSSIBLE to get, but people still get it anyway. LOTS of it.

Guns would be the same way if they were illegal to possess, like heroin.

The whole mental health checking idea is pretty wild too. I can just see it now. They start making you, the buyer of a firearm, pay to be mentally examined... but wait. If they can force new gun buyers to pay for a mental examination, then it would seem like they would have to retroactively force every prior gun owner to be mentally examined or give up their guns.

Any way you look at it, new restrictions and regulations on firearms is not going to go over well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join