It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tucson Shooting Survivors Appear in New Ad Demanding Plan to End Gun Violence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Tucson Shooting Survivors Appear in New Ad Demanding Plan to End Gun Violence

gawker.com

A new ad featuring survivors of the 2011 gun massacre in Tucson are calling out President Obama and Governor Romney for not doing more to prevent gun violence.

Their figures are staggering.

48,000 Americans will be murdered with guns during the next president's term. That's three Aurora shootings every day.

The site DemandAPlan.org, which hosts the ad, also counts the time and gun deaths since James Holmes' rampage.

"Words of condolence are not enough," the site reads, along with a petition
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.demandaplan.org

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
While I completely understand the feelings of the victims of the shooting, I don't think we need more gun restrictions. It's already illegal to kill someone with a gun, yet it still happens. People are killed by guns all the time in so called gun free zones. Now I do of course think that gun violence i a very real problem, and would also like to see a plan. I would just prefer that plan not involve the erosion of other's rights.

So what is Demand A Plans plan?

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
So implementing more rules on who can get their hands on DEADLY devices is bad?

Only in America.....

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Arm everyone. Add weapons training to middle school curriculum. Statistics show that areas with loose gun laws have fewer attacks. An armed society is a polite society.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I would really love to hear how they think they can solve a problem that has plagued human kind since we first set foot on this planet.

Killing has been going on for thousands of years. Not that I agree with or condone it, I would love to live in a world where people did not kill each other over stupid stuff, but I do not see it happening no matter what they do.

Like you already said, we have laws in place stating that murder is illegal, we have tons of restrictions on firearms, yet incidents like the Tuscon shooting still happen on a daily basis.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that people have to learn to deal with and understand that no matter how many laws or regulations you write, there is always going to be someone hellbent on killing another human being.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Only in America.....
Yes. It is bad. Guns do not cause violence any more than cars cause accidents or spoons cause obesity.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

And armed society is safer?

America has 88 guns for every 100 people

We seem to have a mass shooting every week lol

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Only in America.....

Sure worked out for mexico, didn't it?

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

And armed society is safer?

America has 88 guns for every 100 people

We seem to have a mass shooting every week lol
Look at where they happen. They happen in places where the general populace is not allowed to carry. If guns cause these mass shootings, why do none occur at shooting ranges?

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Gun control only hurts law-abiding citizens while giving advantage to the bad guys.

The only ones who favor gun-control in America are TRAITORS, CRIMINALS, and the BRAINWASHED folks.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

So people in Wisconsin, Arizona and Colorado are not allowed to own weapons?

Funniest thing I've read today

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Arm everyone. Add weapons training to middle school curriculum. Statistics show that areas with loose gun laws have fewer attacks. An armed society is a polite society.

Statistics show that pretty much every country in the world that has gun laws also has much lower incidents of gun related crime.

my home country of New Zealand apparently has about 1.1 million firearms for a population of 4.5 million - so it can hardly be said to be "unarmed". Australia has about 20 million people and somewhere between 2.5 and 5 million guns (estimates/survey results vary/are argued about)

An armed society is a dangerous society - especially an american armed society.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Who would you like to see banned from owning guns? Im actually curious, not trying to be a smart ass. Just everyone, just certain types of guns? More and more states allow concealed carry, the assault weapons ban expired and while these recent tragedies are awful the crime rate hasnt skyrocketed.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If stricter gun laws are implemented it could kick start a civil war resulting in more deaths. I hope they know what they are doing.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It would be impossible for those types of restrictions to work in the US. We already are saturated with guns. Honest people give them up, only criminals will have them.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm not for banning people from owning guns, because the 2nd amendment prohibits that. I actually think that everyone should be allowed to own at least 1 hand gun or a shotgun for home/personal defense, the 2nd amendment gives us the right to bear arms.

I would like to see more background checks, and an actual mental evaluation whenever someone applies for a FFA.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Statistics show that pretty much every country in the world that has gun laws also has much lower incidents of gun related crime.

An armed society is a dangerous society - especially an american armed society.

Doctored and/or biased statistics, perhaps. There are plenty of statistics to demonstrate the opposite, even within the U.S.

The absurdity of implementing gun control to stop criminals from using them seems to be lost on the average person. Criminals, by definition do not obey the law. This debate will never end, it seems. But if you feel safer with the only people owning firearms being police, military, and criminals, then by all means, continue your crusade.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

So people in Wisconsin, Arizona and Colorado are not allowed to own weapons?

Funniest thing I've read today
Really? Try reading your own post again.

Two days ago I asked the commonsense question, "Why didn't anyone fight back against James Holmes, the shooter who shot so many people in the Batman movie theater?"

Now the answer has become clear: Because Aurora, Colorado already has strict gun control laws on the books that make it:

Illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even if you're a law-abiding citizen.
Illegal to discharge a firearm in public unless you are a peace officer.

Thus, any person who would have shot James Holmes and stopped the massacre would, themselves, have been arrested as a criminal!
In Aurora, Colorado, it is illegal to stop a massacre

Shock Revelation: City of Aurora, Colorado Would Have Arrested Anyone Who Stopped the Batman Massacre With a Concealed Weapon

Colorado is a concealed-carry state, as was Virginia at the time of the Virginia Tech shootings. But like Virginia Tech, according to World Net Daily, the Century 16 theater's parent, Cinemark Holdings Inc., has a strict "gun-free" policy at all of its 459 theaters, even for those who have concealed carry permits.

The Right To Shoot Back: Another "Gun-Free-Zone" Fail

link   
reply to post by Domo1

This one is easy.
Require everyone to carry a gun.
If everyone is armed this sort of thing won't happen.

An armed society is a polite one.

link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It would be impossible for those types of restrictions to work in the US. We already are saturated with guns. Honest people give them up, only criminals will have them.

Yeah I know - the US is a culture all of its own in the western world as far as guns go.

But that is something the US has to address - you want to have guns? Fine - stop whining about peoplwe getting shot. you don't want so many people getting shot? fine - stop making guns such a religion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join