It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian rebel says captured Iranians are pro-government fighters, not pilgrims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

ANTAKYA, Turkey — Rebel fighters said Sunday that 48 Iranians captured in the Syrian capital were not the pilgrims their government asserts but instead were affiliated with Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard Corps, on a mission in Damascus to help the Syrian government crush the rebellion.

The allegation underlined the regional dimensions of the conflict, as rebels backed by pro-Western powers in the Middle East, including Turkey and Saudi Arabia, battle the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, backed by Russia and Iran, for control of towns and cities across the country.

The Iranians were “on a reconnaissance mission in the field to study the situation in the city” when their bus was seized by rebels Saturday, the Free Syrian Army commander said. Several dozen men, apparently the captured Iranians, sat behind him as he spoke.

“We warn Iran and all those who stand with the regime: The fall of this regime is inevitable,” the rebel commander said. “We pledge that the fate of all who work on your behalf in the land of Syria will either be imprisonment or death.”

Story Here

If this is true, it will give the U.S. and Israel, all the more "reason" to attack Iran and Syria. We will have to wait and see what turns out of this. This is a serious matter if true because Iran has been accused of fighting along side Assad's forces since February 2012, but no Iranian fighters have been caught.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Assuming the information is accurate, all i can say is not good! Your right, just more justification for the west to apply more pressure on Syria and by extension Iran.

To be honest, the credibility of this story is screaming "spin" to me. Why would Iran actually commit active troops to the area. What could they hope to accomplish? and why draw all the attention back to them.

Does not seem practical. I really doubt that the Iranian commanders are that reckless.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Meh...Syria and Iran have a defence pact, not surprising al all
its well known foreign fighters are spearheading the push to overthrow Assad and his regeme
what goes around...
edit on 5-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I sort of had a feeling this would develop into this exact story the minute i'd read it.

The Iranians were too quick to come out with the whacky pilgrim story. Who in there right mind would go on a pilgrimage in the middle of a warzone?. The whole thing just didnt sit easy with me.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Just as odd as the countless foreign fighters captured on Syrian soil, including french,british soldiers

search all you want..there are no 'good guys' in this mess..save the women and children, people of Syria..who just
want to live in peace
Yet despite what is being said about the atrocities alleged of the Syrian goevernment,ANY country has a right to defend itself!
I'll even go as far to say comparatively,the Syrian goverment has acted with relative restraint in response to this foreign driven insurrection..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Meh. Whatever. The west has had PLENTY of excuses in their eyes to attack if they wanted to and they still havent. This means squat.

edit on 5-8-2012 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
Just as odd as the countless foreign fighters captured on Syrian soil, including french,british soldiers

search all you want..there are no 'good guys' in this mess..save the women and children, people of Syria..who just
want to live in peace
Yet despite what is being said about the atrocities alleged of the Syrian goevernment,ANY country has a right to defend itself!
I'll even go as far to say comparatively,the Syrian goverment has acted with relative restraint in response to this foreign driven insurrection..

And Syria is defending against...who? Their OWN people ?

Yes, NOW, there are plenty of foreign fighters on BOTH sides, but the syrian army is still fighting againsts SYRIAN REBELS mainly, so, against their WON people.

And anyway, between march - october 2011, when there was NO ARMY resistance, who did army KILLED? Right, they killed CIVILIAN protesters.

If it is anyone who is restraining atm it is NATO and Israel.But worry not, they will sone bomb the hell out of Iran and Syria, Russia and China will do their best (barking, no biting) and the entire pro-muslim herd will pour ash in their hair and cry a river.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

this story is funny, can anyone say why should Iran send fighters to Syria where it has it's own army and can reach Russian weapons easily ! they did not send to Lebanon now they sent them to Syria for some rebels!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Recollector

Im sorry but there is nothing you can say that will justify a foreign led take-over of Syria
that is exactly what is going on here
there has been outside intervention from the onset!
Nor will i defend the actions of the Syrian government
But if you think its a good idea that Israel or Nato get openly involved..have some more punch

And why the he** should they bomb Iran?

time to put your action figures away..
insulting a religion of 1.6 billion people isnt the smartest thing to do
imo youve been eating up what the western media has been spewing
linky just for fun
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 6-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
interesting read,almost way off topic

"There is another type of warfare—new in its intensity, ancient in its origin—war by
guerrillas, subversives, insurgents, assassins; war by ambush instead of by combat, by
infiltration instead of aggression, seeking victory by eroding and exhausting the enemy
instead of engaging him. It preys on unrest."
President John F. Kennedy, 1962

nsnbc.wordpress.com...
nsnbc.wordpress.com...
edit on 7-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join