It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant sinkhole in Assumption Parish, Louisiana prompts state of emergency declaration

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Tend bucks says they will find a massive illegal dump.

illegal maybe....radioactive definitly

Radioactive waste, secretly stored in the breached cavern, is 15 times the acceptable state limit, according to Stanley Waligora, a New Mexico-based radiation protection consultant and leading authority on health risks of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM).

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I stated this in another thread last night. With the butane, natural gas, and radioactivity, earthquakes, it is a very volitle situation. If there was an explosion, I believe the New Madrid would go like a zipper. And the whole US would be affected. I have become awakened to the fact that common sense has been long dead, like the dead sea scrolls dead. Everyone talks about FEMA camps, body bags,mre's for 7 million people, and ammo. Think about this a second. I'd like to know your thoughts.
When I started down the rabbit hole, I found some old documents, like back when the Constitution was signed that 9-11 and other things were already set in place. I have no Idea where to find them now, as I'd love my ol' man to see them. Of course they were probably fake, but with the way things are......the truth is stranger than fiction.

My family is going to Tennessee, and the New Madrid is right there. The last time something like this happened, my mother was 50 miles away from where "the Plane" went down in Shanksville, didn't hear a word from her until a week later. On a side note, I hope everyone has quit smoking in Lousiana!!!
edit on 9-10-2012 by thepolish1 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Well my thought is what and see what happens last few days been interesting news comming out of the whole sinkhole disaster. I have no opinion one way or another but there is some even if some slight chance of some sort of explosion and like i stated above awhile back even if there is not there is defenitily some health issues that are going to be taking place due to whatever exactly is being released into the air due to the sinkhole and the drilling that is taking place to relieve the pressure of gass.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Notice the Governor doesn't even want to be there.Gov. Bobby Jindal's out-of-state travel draws criticism on different fronts

It is sad when you have Iowans writing to local Louisiana paper begging them to have their Gov. go home.

At the same time, Dave Gregory, a retired hotel clerk from Marion, Iowa, sent a letter to the Advocate of Baton Rouge with a similar complaint against Jindal:

Gregory closes with: "Please call back your governor and find something for him to do.
Mr Jindal maybe using his political activities to avoid this sinkhole issue. I don't recall seeing anything that states Mr. Jindal has been to the area. I wonder if he is scared to go visit the bayou?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is really concerning :-(

11:50a ET: 500 square feet falls into giant sinkhole — Towards pipeline on SW side — Clean up halted

Source and full story
edit on 9-10-2012 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Its getting bigger by the day now....

reply to post by AuntB

I bet he his given the situation right now and whats developing....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

You notice in the picture all the vegetaion that had started dying around the sink hole in the time from of August 3rd to Sept 27th.

also a map showing the bubbles spots and were some of the eq monitors are. You can zoom in to get a closer look.

Map
edit on 9-10-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ran across this yesterday.

There seems to be a problem with the EQ monitors.

Not sure how to find if they are up and running again?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

forgot were i came across it but yes it is back up an running,

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The monitors can be found Here.

They seriously lack instruments in this area IMHO.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96

The monitors can be found Here.

They seriously lack instruments in this area IMHO.

Thanks for the link!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ran across this fly over video done October 2nd.

Another video is on youtube (that I cant watch due to limited download time) gives a detailed report. Will post link if anyone is interested? I dont usually post a vid without watching first but will if anyone asks.
Comments are good. 35 minutes long.

edit on 9-10-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Thanks for that link!! I didn't even know we had earthquake monitors anywhere down here!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Officials: “Deep natural formation” may be source of gas around giant sinkhole — Fears it could reach surface at explosive levels

Further sampling and analysis of potential sources is continuing to attempt a clear determination whether the source of the natural gas bubbling is a deep natural formation or whether it can be narrowed to a processed source, such as a specific storage operation,” [Patrick Courreges, of the Department of Natural Resources] said in an email response to questions. […]

Source

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Here is the Meetings they had with Public that took place this Evening.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Also like to note in Part 4 that they state they do not know how to stop the Crude Oil from comming out of the salt dome. There is a leak from underneath the dome comming from 3 different closed oil wells. As at first they thought it was diesel fuel which is not the case.
They are talking to experts all around the country to find a way get it stopped.
edit on 10-10-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Still pointing the finger at each other and dont want to own up to the mistake.

Inside Report for Oct. 10, 2012 Sinkhole leads to finger-pointing

Texas Brine Co. of Houston asserted late on the night of Sept. 24 that regional earthquakes damaged its salt cavern in the Bayou Corne area of Assumption Parish. Less than 12 hours after that 10:31 p.m. news release, the company was on the receiving end of a vigorous response from Louisiana Department of Natural Resources and parish officials to rebut the claim that the cavern failure was caused by natural causes and also to call on Texas Brine to back up its claim.

But DNR officials have since said that subsequent seismic data shows Texas Brine’s claim last month had it backward. The “USGS consensus” is that the seismic activity was a consequence of the cavern collapse, not its cause, DNR reported. Texas Brine declined comment initially, but spokesman Sonny Cranch has since said the company is sending to DNR data backing up its view on the origins of the cavern failure and does not plan to retract its statements.

But DNR and parish officials themselves twice issued joint news statements in mid-August taking aim at Texas Brine over the claimed slow pace of retroactive housing assistance payments to evacuees. Each time, the news releases blasting Texas Brine came without advance consultation with the Houston company and had the effect of likely blunting what would have otherwise been less-negative coverage for Texas Brine.

Source

Recap on meeting from last night.

BAYOU CORNE — A shallow well recently drilled into the aquifer underneath the Bayou Corne area has hit natural gas, Shaw Environmental officials said Tuesday. That well is one of three that contractors for Louisiana Department of Natural Resources drilled to find and vent natural gas believed trapped in the Mississippi River Alluvial Aquifer.

Along with sampling showing some of the most remote bubble sites are swamp gas from decomposing organic matter, the well findings support earlier indications that gas is in the aquifer, running under the section of northern Assumption Parish. But the findings also suggest that the gas has not spread to populated areas. Parish officials have said they are concerned the gas could build pressure in the aquifer, escape and lead to an explosive risk, though testing has not found that so far.

Hecox also said that hydrocarbons pulled from inside the cavern and on top of the sinkhole are virtually identical as far as their chemical makeup. When asked if that means it is confirmed the failure of the cavern caused the sinkhole, he said “All the data we’ve looked at so far would lead you to that conclusion, yes.”Hecox said later that, in contrast to early reports, the hydrocarbons in the sinkhole and the cavern are crude oil, not diesel, and may have come from natural oil bearing formations along the side of the salt dome.

Hecox said the most likely option is that the crude oil went up the side of the salt dome into the sinkhole. But he also said that many of the occurrences around Bayou Corne appear to be tied together. “It is very likely the release of oil and the gas we’re seeing, the cavern collapse, and the sinkhole are all related,” he said.

Source

Also from another source.

“While our ongoing review of operational records on the Napoleonville Salt Dome has not shown one single underground source known to contain enough diesel fuel to cover the sinkhole/slurry area, an underground oil-and-gas formation could easily account for the amounts found on the sinkhole/slurry area surface and in the cavern.”

Source

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Officials: Crude oil source may link sinkhole and failed cavern

"Distinguishing between ‘diesel fuel' and ‘diesel-range crude oil' is critical to the effort to ensure public safety by determining the cause of the cavern failure and the sinkhole, and their possible link to each other and to the natural gas that has been found in the aquifer in the Bayou Corne area," Welsh said. "While our ongoing review of operational records on the Napoleonville Salt Dome has not shown one single underground source known to contain enough diesel fuel to cover the sinkhole/slurry area, an underground oil-and-gas formation could easily account for the amounts found on the sinkhole/slurry area surface and in the cavern." Welsh said that better understanding of the source of the crude oil could also help better identify the source of the natural gas in the aquifer because oil and natural gas are often found together in productive formations.

"We discovered natural gas in both wells sites near the sinkhole and are now working as quickly as possible to remove it through these vent wells," Welsh said. "However, the initial analysis of the third well, sited on the west side of Bayou Corne, reveals that it does not have an accumulation of natural gas, though analysis will continue at that well as the work continues throughout the area to resolve the situation for the community."

Source

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Time limit was up to edit post lol

Here is a picture of the sinkhole zooming in tells you with width and depth. Showing it is 4.2 acres big

Picture

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Heads up, fellow MidWesterners. Today's youtube updates bring much alarm. This one says the land is sinking, versus water rising.

Some of you know about the legendary 'US Navy Future Map', which I had always left in my "gray basket" along with 'The Mayan Calender' and 'Dec 21st', etcetera, in other words, take with many "grains of salt",
--especially-- if John Moore was connected to it. I know how those on the boards here, mostly feel about him.
But as for me, I never say never. Thats dumb, too.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
From the 'Assuption Police Jury' vid. Notice it gets tense at
6:20. Do you all think the man's question was answered fully? Or was it tap dancing?

Here is some dissection of the above meeting.

edit on 11-10-2012 by Saucerwench because: ad vid

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join