It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola confirmed in Tanzania?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Source: RSOE Event Report
Type: Ebola

Date / Time: Sunday, 05 August, 2012 at 17:33 (05:33 PM) UTC

Details:

A team of medical experts from Dar es Salaam was yesterday dispatched to Kagera region to further examine the two patients believed to be suffering from the Ebola hemorrhagic fever. But as the team of medical experts was sent to Kagera region, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare subsequently confirmed the outbreak of the deadly fever in the western part of the country.

In the meantime, reports from Nyakahanga designated hospital in Karagwe district, Kagera region indicate that there were two patients including a child, suspected to be suffering from the deadly fever that has rocked neighbouring Uganda. According to one of the doctors who diagnosed the patient at Karagwe’s Nyakahanga hospital, preliminary findings show that the victim might have contacted the Ebola virus. However, the doctor who requested anonymity told the Guardian on Sunday that ‘further medical examination’ would be conducted to gather more evidence about the possible outbreak of Ebola, adding that the patient had since been quarantined pending final results.

He said preliminary check-ups found out that the diagnosis had all signs showed clear symptoms of Ebola – after which he ordered the patient to be admitted for closer monitoring locally, and further medical examination by medical experts from the ministry headquarters. He added that the patient had since been placed in a special intensive care room which is out of bounds for all other people -- apart from his mother who is taking care of the patient.
Source

It sounds like victims from Uganda are getting into new areas. I can't help but wonder what this means in terms of how this develops. RSOE is a site I've come to know as reliable and the report appears about as factual and straight forward as anything. At the least, it's something to keep an eye on as they confirm their tests. Hopefully the Kenya reports along with these will be the end of it for new spread. Anyone else hear more details?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yes, I have always trusted RSOE too. Whenever there have been quake reports etc, I have used it. This is worrying.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If true, not a good sign.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
star and flagged, will have to watch how this develops.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Isnt Ebola virus spread by a mosquito or some kind of vector?
If it is i dont think theres chance of it getting any more serious

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by payta

That is West Nile or Malaria. Malaria isn't actually a virus but a very interesting eukaryotic single celled organism.

Ebola is a virus that is very deadly. It is only spread by bodily fluids, but someone coughing can spread it with the atomized gunk they cough up.

The good news is that the high mortality and quick onset means that the amount of time someone can actually spread the disease around is less than with many others.

I think someone said earlier that this series of outbreaks has so far had an unprecedented number of individual cases. Can anyone confrim this?
edit on 5-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
bring out the fuel and air bombs

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

ohhhh, then now its the time to close all airports and borders no kidding

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Within the wall of text that makes up the RSOE data page on the OP link is this:

Earlier, the World Health Organization (WHO) had alerted Tanzania on the Ebola threat, prompting the ministry to issue a press statement elaborating that Ebola (Ebola HF) was a severe, often-fatal disease in humans and nonhuman primates (monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees) that has appeared sporadically since its initial recognition in 1976.

The disease is caused by infection with Ebola virus, named after a river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), where it was first recognized.

The virus is one of two members of a family of RNA viruses called the Filoviridae; there are five identified subtypes of the Ebola virus -- four of which have been known to cause disease in humans: Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Sudan, Ebola-Ivory Coast and Ebola-Bundibugyo.

The fifth, Ebola-Reston, has caused disease in nonhuman primates, but not in humans.

(additional spacing for easier reading)

It sounds like as good a basic explanation as any. It's spread by bodily fluid though, including sweat. So quarantine is used even when airborne isn't the issue. I'll leave it there because this is getting a bit serious for the usual speculation and war gaming. This bug is the bad one, IMO.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Health officials in Uganda’s Kagandi Hospital have so far confirmed 8 new emerging cases of Ebola. Statistics released by Health officials on Friday indicate that the number of people currently “actively being followed up” has increased from 232 to 253 in the recent 24 hours. Speaking on the matter, the chairman of the Ebola National Task Force, Mr. Anthony Mbonye said, “Of the 46 samples collected since the outbreak, by August 2, eight of them were confirmed positive and all are from Kibaale.”

“8 new Ebola cases confirmed!” – Health officials reveal in Uganda

Seems that Uganda, still has its problems also.

S&F

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

A state of alert has been imposed along the Tanzania border with Uganda following fears over a suspected outbreak of Ebola in Kagera Region.

According to clinical officers, the virus spreads through the blood, multiplying in many organs. It causes severe damage to the liver, lymphatic system, kidneys, ovaries and testes. Internal bleeding results in shock and acute respiratory distress, leading to death. Once a patient is infected with Ebola, the incubation period is four to 16 days. The onset of the disease is sudden, with fever, chills, headache, anorexia and muscle pain. Bleeding occurs from multiple sites, including the digestive tract, lungs as well as gums and death occurs within seven to 16 days.

It’s red alert over possible Ebola case

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

go look at Arizona..

cant tell what it is though..

hmmm..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
@Sonny1

Well, that helps to give perspective on what is happening. At least in that region, it must be pretty unnerving for the people now. Lets hope this just burns itself out, as it always has when it's appeared in the past. Lets also hope it burns out as the same strain it's appeared, to put it nicely. This is just the worst timing for any more things like this, IMO. So much happening...all at once...and it's getting hard to keep track of in even general ways. I think MSM gave up awhile ago and just hits the highlights.

I'm keeping the people over there in mind though. This is no way for anyone to go. Not Ebola..

edit on 5-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Very worrying indeed.

It has traveled a distance, beyond the normal burn out phase normally associated with this nasty virus.

I was reading about the longer incubation period this strain seem to have. I hope for a burn out.

All those poor people who have been reported and recorded as having this, the geography and distances involved indicates this is out of the bag and running free.

Can you imagine this hitting an international airport?

edit on 5-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
incubation period is four to 16 days!
That is very bad.

been lots of posts about Ebola...
???? 16 days?

If people from Tanzania are at the Olypics and Have This...
then we have the deaths of millions.
and if it hits After they all go home OMG!
billions dead.

That is UNLESS they do marshall LAW.
they can inpos it world wide.

well we now know how the start the new world order.
Please let me be wroung.

edit on 5-8-2012 by buddha because: why not

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
I was reading about the longer incubation period this strain seem to have. I hope for a burn out.

edit on 5-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

4 to 16 days incubation period is way too much time for me to feel comfortable about this situation. Even if the incubation time is unchanged then the variability in incubation means that if you get really unlucky the virus can go significantly further, depending on who the host is and where they're going. An important question is if people are infectious during the incubation period.

One infected guy who got on a plane in a past outbreak died before the plane landed. Imagine if he had even a couple of more days before he became symptomatic. This is worrying

If this stuff hits the states I will wear a respirator and goggles without shame.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

if this somehow came to the states (Which it Has Not...and no one has reason to think it will
), then I can only say I haven't been joking one bit in things I've said on this before. The bunny and my little den of rabbits are going for a little journey to the back country until my shortwave says there aren't new cases being confirmed, anywhere in North America. This bugger scares me...and I don't mind saying it. Very few things do in life. Very few things...and death doesn't. That's a Faith thing, not a bravado thing. However, dying THIS way? Oh..Hell no. never. ever.

@ general

Now I'm sure it doesn't jump here...because I have to be sure. I can't think otherwise. It's too bad to consider without rock solid proof to make that line of thought necessary. This really could be that bad, IMO.

But...if things got out of hand and it all went sideways... The bunny is headed where the Sky's are Big, and the place is just a bit crazy. Rumor has it, 2 meter is a good way to talk, too....
We can share a campfire and tell lies beneath the stars.

We're a long long way and probably never getting there in our lifetimes anyway. It's not a bad time to mentally think it through though. Someday, it's bound to be real. Just odds, right?

edit on 5-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Mkoll

However, dying THIS way? Oh..Hell no. never. ever.

Ebola. Not even once

I don't think it'll get here either; I see that as an absolute worst case.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Mkoll because: semicolon is your friend

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Suspected, but not confirmed in Kenya now too -

Kenya's ministry of public health is yet again assuring the nation that so far there has been no confirmed case of Ebola in Kenya. this, even as four suspected cases have been reported in the past week alone, with the latest being a 24 - year - old woman in Homa Bay county, who was bleeding from several body openings.

swineflumagazine.blogspot.ca...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

Kenya August 2nd

A hospital in the western Kenyan town of Eldoret said a middle-aged man suspected of being infected with the Ebola virus has been placed in isolation, following an outbreak of the disease in neighboring Uganda that killed 16.

Worrying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join