It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of skeletons found in London burial pit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Were victims of a volcanic eruption thousands of miles away

Archeologists who discovered thousands of skeletons in a mass London grave believe they were the victims of a 13th Century volcanic eruption which took place thousands of miles away.

The remains were found at Spitalfields Market in East London

The eruption was so big that its sulpherous gases created a veil of dry fog across the earth's stratosphere which blocked out sunlight, altered the atmosphere and cooled the Earth's surface causing famine, plague and death.

As many as 15,000 people in London could have perished
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Could this volcano be the culprit

The Rinjani volcano in Indonesia which is known to have erupted in the 13th centuary

Scientists know a big eruption must have happened in the mid-13th century because ice cores from Greenland and Antarctica dating to that time contain huge amounts of sulfur

Leading candidates for the 1258 eruption have included Mexico’s El Chichón, which also erupted in 1982, and Quilotoa in the Ecuadorean Andes. But the chemical composition of rocks from those volcanoes, among other factors, don’t really match the 1258 sulfur from ice cores.

www.sciencenews.org...
This can and will happen again

Cran

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Unless there was a leper/plague colony around there. Some used to exist just outside the gates of the older cities, back in the day, and London was a lot smaller at the time.
edit on 5-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Excellent post and volcanoes are not my bag here but it was a very good read, I wonder what 15 thousand dead in London would be today with the population and the same event happening again?

I suppose there is nothing we can do about it if it re-occurs. As they say in the link you provided this will happen again, I guess the safe bet here is to enjoy every day like it is your last.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Weve got gas masks toda Iwinder, the toll woud be much less id think....
besides, the bodies could also be from some other tradgedy like botulisum or something else local.....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
besides, the bodies could also be from some other tradgedy like botulisum or something else local.....

How many people live in London and surrounding areas today?
How many gas masks are there in England?
How many of the public will get their hands on a gas mask?
This event would probably span months, if not half a year or more, how long does a gas mask last when needed full time just to breath?

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 5-8-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

The coffin they are opening looks like it has a lead lining, thought that was really rare.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I love the way I see so many links to the Daily Mails articles from these forums, perhaps those not in the UK do not realise just how much of a sensationalist joke this "newspaper" is.

Spitalfields along with many other sites including Blackheath were prolific points of burial for both natural reasons and the plague.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

This event would probably span months, if not half a year or more, how long does a gas mask last when needed full time just to breath?

Regards, Iwinder

Many professionals and pillars of the community like to wear gas (or gimp) masks as a sexual thing, so at least they'll be safe if they zip up.
Anyway, the population in general would be quite safe if they stayed in doors. Londoners (at least most of them) survived the disease-infested smog during the 1800s.

I love the way I see so many links to the Daily Mails articles from these forums, perhaps those not in the UK do not realise just how much of a sensationalist joke this "newspaper" is.

Thank God someone else recognises this. Something like 30% of the stories it runs are just made up anyway, plus half its consultant scientists are cranks.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Great post, very interesting

The remains were found at Spitalfields Market, in east London, during the early 1990s and experts assumed they had died during the Black Death or the Great Famine.

However, following radiocarbon dating of the bones and further geological research, scientists have come to the conclusion that they were in fact victims of a 13th century volcanic eruption - one of the largest eruptions of the past 10,000 years.

there must be more victims than those found at Spitalfields Market in east London unless that place was already populated by sick people who could have died easily from the volcanic fog

or was it a freak wind that dumped massive amounts of sulphur only there ?

but according to the same article it does sound more like a severe global catastrophe with far reaching implications

The eruption was so big that its sulpherous gases created a veil of dry fog across the earth's stratosphere which blocked out sunlight, altered the atmosphere and cooled the Earth's surface causing famine, plague and death.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne

Regards, Iwinder

Many professionals and pillars of the community like to wear gas (or gimp) masks as a sexual thing, so at least they'll be safe if they zip up.
Anyway, the population in general would be quite safe if they stayed in doors. Londoners (at least most of them) survived the disease-infested smog during the 1800s.

Thank God someone else recognises this. Something like 30% of the stories it runs are just made up anyway, plus half its consultant scientists are cranks.

Thanks for the Laughs here re: the sexual thing, and also for letting me know the source of this information is not the most reliable in the world.

But if you follow the link it boils down to the sulfur content and no disease that I know of will leave elevated amounts of this element........

I could be wrong which I am many times but the sulpher as we spell it here is suspect and I believe the findings in the Link provided.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Also just to add here and no offense to anyone posting here, I see people mocking the original link but not going anywhere near the real facts and they are in the sub link.

Attacking the provider of the source does not in any way diminish the real data to be found within.
To any new readers here read the link and make your own choice.
I have and stand by it.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Here is another source for those concerned
Scientists search for the explosive source of a disaster that wiped out almost a third of Londoners in 1258

Vulcanologist Bill McGuire said: "This was the biggest eruption in historic times. It may have brought the temperatures down by 4C, a huge amount."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Cran

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Just a short video to add to this topic.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm sure there were countless numbers of Londoners running around blaming the people of the day for causing the catastrophe by the carbon emissions they were emitting. Nuf said.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
That sulphur was proof that Nibiru exists.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by Iwinder

Here is another source for those concerned
Scientists search for the explosive source of a disaster that wiped out almost a third of Londoners in 1258

Vulcanologist Bill McGuire said: "This was the biggest eruption in historic times. It may have brought the temperatures down by 4C, a huge amount."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Cran

Excellent post,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Also to add here we live in North America here and If you ever visit a hot spring you will gag and gag some more from the stench of sulphur it is so over whelming you would not believe it.

Do you have hot springs or geyser's there in England?

Secondly if it was an eruption no gas mask will save you now because after about 3 days the water table will be saturated with sulphur and the crops will die fast.

Point is after 3 days your out of water and after about a week there is no food unless it is canned and that will be hard to find.

Even harder if you don't have a gas mask to venture outdoors.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Just a short video to add to this topic.

Great video, I had to get the wife to tell me what they were saying, It seems to fit with the OP's post.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Also just to add here and no offense to anyone posting here, I see people mocking the original link but not going anywhere near the real facts and they are in the sub link.

Attacking the provider of the source does not in any way diminish the real data to be found within.
I have and stand by it.
Regards, Iwinder

I assume that refers to me seeing as I am the only person that has referred to the original link. I have read both links, I chose to focus on the Daily Mail one as purely a observation that a huge amount of people quote this paper on ATS. My second paragraph responds to the OP's post in general, perhaps that was a little off topic but I joined these forums for intelligent discussion. Basing threads on Daily Mail articles is perhaps not the best source.

British newspaper aimed at conservatine, middle class housewives. Regards itself as a serious newspaper despite the fact that it is clearly tabloid. It claims to be a moral voice of the people but is in fact a paper designed to indulge the quasi-racist/homophobic/bigotted views held by much of middle england. The paper loves nothing more than creating a moral panic and has done so over the years on subjects ranging from hoodies to water bottles. The Daily Mail typically finds time to bleat on about the terrible state of Britain today in its police force, NHS, Education system and policy on immigration. It is truly creative in finding a whole bunch of ways of paraphrasing "Kick all asylum seekers out. We hate foreign people".

www.mailwatch.co.uk... for even more information.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tethane

I have and stand by it.
Regards, Iwinder

I assume that refers to me seeing as I am the only person that has referred to the original link. I have read both links, I chose to focus on the Daily Mail one as purely a observation that a huge amount of people quote this paper on ATS. My second paragraph responds to the OP's post in general, perhaps that was a little off topic but I joined these forums for intelligent discussion. Basing threads on Daily Mail articles is perhaps not the best source.

British newspaper aimed at conservatine, middle class housewives. Regards itself as a serious newspaper despite the fact that it is clearly tabloid. It claims to be a moral voice of the people but is in fact a paper designed to indulge the quasi-racist/homophobic/bigotted views held by much of middle england. The paper loves nothing more than creating a moral panic and has done so over the years on subjects ranging from hoodies to water bottles. The Daily Mail typically finds time to bleat on about the terrible state of Britain today in its police force, NHS, Education system and policy on immigration. It is truly creative in finding a whole bunch of ways of paraphrasing "Kick all asylum seekers out. We hate foreign people".

www.mailwatch.co.uk... for even more information.

No I did not direct my post any anyone here at all, it was directed at posters who attack the source when it is obvious they cannot possibly question the data.

I apologize to you if you took my post as an insult.

I believe this link will cut the cloudy weather so there is no middle man to blame and point fingers at.
Direct from a bunch of scientists.......
Who can question this link found below?
www.sciencenews.org...

Regards, Iwinder

<<   2 >>

join