It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona pastor jailed for home bible study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666

It aint like he was charging. When you have a houseparty does your home have to conform to the same safety standards as a movie theatre or a club?

Yes, and permits if you have house parties several times a week. In addition, your neighbors can file complaints about the noise if it's a residential area.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
All the lefties are right, he should have gotten his proper licenses, because being licensed is the way to go.
Plus, he should have gotten approval from the government for use of his property, because that is FREEDOM. Next, he should have paid the local communist apparatchik the proper bribes to make things smooth and transitional, because we all know that with government approval, nothing EVER illegal or bad happens don't ya know!

Anyway, BH will be coming back and bitching if it turns out it was a Muslim, or a Mosque, just cause...../s

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I found his criminal and civil history which carries right into 2011, to be quite interesting too. It's always fascinating when people who make themselves symbols have backgrounds to make you wonder why they wouldn't want to be the last one held to public scrutiny?

You might also find Sam Childers criminal and civil history fascinating too. Known as the Machine Gun Preacer, Childers also built churches, although he probably didn't have to worry about building codes. Childers found himself with bigger problems.

It is to be expected that criminals transformed by the New Testament embrace a public image that reveals this transformation. Paul, after all, was a killer of Christians before his transformation.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

Originally posted by LIGHTvsDARK
By the way, does YOUR house have a door that opens inwards? Better not have more than 8 people come over, otherwise I might have to come out and sight you for non compliance.

I doubt very much you know the building codes where I live...
Building codes vary from state to state and even city to city. In my brand new house, the doors opened in...
I assure you, the building was inspected and met code.

If your exterior doors open outward, I hope you don't knock people upside the head when you open it.

edit on 8/5/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

JPZ, my family have built buildings on their property without government approval, will they be the next ones to be sanctioned? It is just EVIL to use your own property and to allow people to come and visit? DASTARDLY!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

But hey, if YOU have more than 8 people come over, than that can be construed as commercial use. Yes, each state is different, but in ALL states certain codes are universal. By the way, so far I have built in 24 different states commercially and in about 12 states residentially. Cities can be arseholes, if you know the right hands to grease though, everything goes smooth. By the way, it can be rough if you grease them the other way. Do YOU actually believe that the government is not corrupt?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As a devout Christian, I would love to see a church on every street corner. But I do feel this guy is in the wrong and is using our faith to blanket his protest.

Don't get me wrong- there was a similar case a few years back where a pastor was heavily fined for holding a Bible study and I was pretty outspoken about how wrong it was and how his rights were violated.

But I'm getting the feeling this guy is making a mockery out of it.

With that said, jail time is too severe for this and I do agree that there are SO MANY laws on the books that the government can step in and cite anything to encroach on our rights if they don't like something we're doing. And I can understand the points about the building codes- violations can be found in ANYTHING.

But I feel this guy is exploiting his faith and the media is sensationalizing it.

I'm trying to switch the scenario here. What if this guy was trying to open a business in his back yard or a mosque or a school or anything else that is a true zoning violation. I could understand not wanting to have such a building in my neighbor's yard.

We definitely have our battles to fight but this gives me an off feeling.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Since YOU do not know why commercial buildings are REQUIRED to open outwards, tell me, what happens when there is a fire and everyone goes screaming to the exit doors and they open inwards?

OHHHHH, the firefighters find a pile of dead bodies at the exit because the people are not able to open the doors because of everyone pushing against them.

LIKE I SAID, people that have no idea about building codes and dealing with government permitting should just keep their mouths shut. I have dealt with 100s of jurisdictions in regards to building and each one is just a little bit different. WHY? Because government is all about power and control, once YOU realize that, you might actually get a clue.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley, from what I have read, he could have avoided the jail time. He is using it to expose the problem, IMO.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

All the lefties are right, he should have gotten his proper licenses, because being licensed is the way to go.
Plus, he should have gotten approval from the government for use of his property, because that is FREEDOM.

And what should he have done when there was a fire in his "church" and 50 of the 80 people died because of insufficient exits? What should he do, then?

Do YOU actually believe that the government is not corrupt?

Why you would even make that assumption, I don't know. I KNOW there is corruption in government. There is corruption in the police dept, in the church, in the educational system, in voting, in the freaking fire department! There is corruption, but that doesn't mean that everything and everyone is corrupt.

There's corruption everywhere... There is goodness everywhere, too.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

But I feel this guy is exploiting his faith and the media is sensationalizing it.

The media and religion (I'm extrapolating from faith) both beg exploitation. I am not in disagreement with you or that wascally Wabbit on lines being crossed, but there is a distinct irony in that there are loads of self proclaimed atheists demanding tolerance of lifestyles...unless that lifestyle is overt Christianity.

I cannot help but wonder if a family of clowns moved into a neighborhood, started planting pink flamingos in their yard, painted their house purple with pink polka dots, and kept joy buzzing the neighbors and if they're not joybuzzing the neighbors it never fails that when one falls prey to the extended offer of a handshake one of those clowns pulls a Harp and swings his leg over the clasped arms. I am having a hard time believing these clowns would experience much tolerance from either side of the religious fence.

Of course, parking and traffic wouldn't be so much of an issue since clowns tend to all pile into a teeny tiny compact car to travel...dozens of them. I'm not so sure about them watering their lawn with confetti though. That would probably be the breaking point for me. Clowns. I mean tolerance is one thing, but clowns?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Let me ASK you a question, did YOU know that because a house can have a door that opens inwards, it does not fit the codes for a commercial building?

A home is not a commercial building... It's a residential building.

This residential neighborhood is not ZONED for commercial buildings. You can't just build a Walmart in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Property is zoned into commercial and residential uses, so a commercial building cannot be built in a residential neighborhood and vice versa without a change in zoning ordinances.

Basic Zoning Laws

I don't have to know all the building codes. I can read.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

OOOPS, I broke the BH barrier! She cracked a little bit, she has allowed herself to be persuaded even just a little bit.

BH, I grew up on a farm, we built things when we needed them, we DID NOT get a damn permit to build, we just did it. Now, that was quite awhile ago, but the same thing happens day in and day out in the REAL world. Do you actually think that we in the fly over country give a Rat's Ass what the government think about our construction? Pfft, #, if the government was involved, the first 3 jobs I had would not have existed. I built silos, I baled hay, I milked cattle all before the age of 16. Do you think the government would have approved of those dangerous jobs?

Of course not, HELL, you people whine about Newt saying that kids would do well to be janitors. GEEZ!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

...but there is a distinct irony in that there are loads of self proclaimed atheists demanding tolerance of lifestyles...unless that lifestyle is overt Christianity...

Oh, trust me. I know very well what you're referring to. lol

I guess that's all I should say. lol

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

REALLY BH? You are going to actually go there? I have been in construction for 20 years and YOU are going to start posting codes to ME? Wow, I use to give you a little credence but now I am beginning to think you are actually one of those that actually believe they know everything. Do you actually believe you know everything? Amazing. Never mind about the conversation. It is done, you are right because..............you are right.........because you are right because...............you say so.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How is this not a violation of the free exercise clause of the 2nd Amendment?

People's safety comes first?

Building codes - - hmmmm. Makes me think of the ruble from earthquakes in areas that don't have building codes.

Sometimes logic trumps God.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So building codes now trump God, well of course, where was I when they taught that in public skool?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

So building codes now trump God, well of course, where was I when they taught that in public skool?

If it involves the safety of people - - Damn Straight!

Last time I checked many "God created structures" haven't exactly stood the test of time.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No one can tell me where to practice what I believe. If the people at the bible study showed up they assume responsibility for themselves. Government wants religion out of government so they should stay away from our religion too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join