It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona pastor jailed for home bible study

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

EXACTLY , This ends this post in a nut shell. Theres always more to the story then the story that was told and passed down through people.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
This is a classic case of the OP not being written with the pertinent facts in a clear manner.

Because this is another classic case of Fox News disseminating propaganda:

1. Information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
2. The dissemination of such information as a political strategy.

And for whom is this propaganda? The Republican base of voters who tip the scales to achieve a 1% victory. In the general population, in an era of sound bites and tweets, this type of propaganda is especially effective to convey a slanted message, to affect even those not necessarily in the GOP base.

Back in the 1980s (pre Fox) I saw headlines, from the supposedly "liberal" media, like, "Alien Hordes Massing At The Border", meaning that unless you supported Reagan's wars in Central America, Commie brown skinned soldiers would be taking over America! Yikes!
...of course, back then, if you disagreed with this propaganda, you yourself were labeled Pinko Commie.

And back then, if you didn't worship as or believe the dogma of the conservative religion of the Republican Party, you loved Satan, hated Jesus, and would spend eternity burning in Hell. And you were told to go live in Reagan's Evil Empire of Godless Commies. Even if you were merely a moderate Methodist who loved America.

By the 1990's Fox News was founded to make sure every American loudly heard this propaganda. This propaganda didn't need to come from the govt, because, by then, religion WAS bound up with govt.

And, thus, you had good people like my in-laws believing that Obama is a Commie Muslim, because they heard it on a news channel, and, by God, it must be true! I know they love me, and I them, but I'll bet they believe their DIL will burn in Hell and isn't a "real" American, like they are.

And so, for over three decades now, I've heard how Christians are hated (which has become a self-fulfilling prophecy!), and how Big Guv persecutes them. You would think, that with this much political power for decades, they would quit with playing the victim role, but, no, this type of propaganda plays well. And this Arizona man plays the part well.

At least my in-laws know I'm not a soldier in the war on Christmas.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

He got a permit to convert his garage into a game room and then turned around and used that permit to built a free-standing 4000 square foot building as a church. This building does not meet city code specifications, primarily with respect to fire safety, so Salman was arrested - for safety code violations. He was not arrested because he was running a Christian bible study group. He was arrested for not complying with city building codes. Didn't your Jesus say something about rendering unto Caesar what was Caesar's?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Question, what is there to study in the bible?

I have 12 years of study--as literature and as mythology (I unfortunately am listed catholic)... it is basically this:

Act I - If you want something, take it and say god told you to do so as you are the chosen people no matter how many are killed.

Act 2 - Is rife w with zombies, lepers, prostitutes, and murders which continue with the promise of through the zombie a way to heaven is guaranteed.

Act 3 - ... zombie hasn't returned.

There's far better fiction than the bible to read.

Derek

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

I have 12 years of study--as literature and as mythology...

...There's far better fiction than the bible to read.

It is questionable what you learned in 12 years of the study of mythology if all it is to you is fiction. The Great Gatsby is fiction, but it sure ain't mythology. There is a reason that more than 75% of all time blockbuster films are films rooted in mythology, and there is a reason why, after more than 2,000 years, the myth of Jesus survives, and hell, the Judaic myths of the Old Testament are older than that. There is a reason that Heracles (Hercules), Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon are featured in modern films, and it isn't because they were characters of fiction.

More people know who Icarus was than know who Claudio and Hero were. Mythology is something much deeper than fiction, and its universal structure across nations since time immemorial gives clue to its staying power, and it stays because it offers up life lessons that speak to the human psyche. If you were taught something else in your 12 years of education learning mythology, you were robbed.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well weather some people like it or not Foxnews and a few other The rest of the MSM is working to get obama re elected.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
This is a classic case of the OP not being written with the pertinent facts in a clear manner.

This whole thread is a clusterf-word of repeating posts with the same information.
The OP should have put more in there about the actual facts, and reasons behind this.
The issue became confused because of the way the OP was written.

Simply put, 80 people gathering 2-3 times a week was disturbing his neighbors.
neighbors complained many times, about many different issues this caused.
City had to act, because of neighborhood complaints.

It didn't matter if it was a religious meeting, AA meeting, birdwatchers meeting.

Breaking it down mathematically.

80 people with an average of 3 people per car is
80/3=26.3

So that is 26.3 cars making 2-3 trips a week back and forth down your neighborhood street.

26.3x3=78.9
78.9x2=159.8 (return trip)

So you get the equivalent of 160 extra cars a week going down your neighborhood street.
Now tell me that that is not a problem.

edit on 7-8-2012 by KingAtlas because: broke it up for clarity

reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Yes... this guy is a douche bag with a capital D. There is no "religion" here. He is creating a nuisance for his neighbors and working the system to his advantage. If he was on my street he'd be gone by now.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Would that be all douche bags that are not properly zoned, or just the religious kind?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

No, l I'm here to look BEHIND the sensational headlines and find out the other side of the story.

Hey gubberment lover, I'm an Electrician and I'm here to tell you your house is not up to code, garanteed! Fix it tommorrow and next week it won't meet code, changes every day, I'm calling BS and saying this, if they practiced the peaceful solution character education program none of this would happen, none of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

That would be all of them. Cause if I can't do something, then neither can you.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
What makes "religion" so special? And who gets to decide what a "religion" is? Someone please explain this to me. Because all I see lately is that religion gives you the right to be a self-righteous, pain in the ass selfish douche bag.

Please explain what I am missing so I too can "see the light".

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
There is a reason that Heracles (Hercules), Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon are featured in modern films, and it isn't because they were characters of fiction.

Then where are they now?
Gods do not just die.
If they were not characters of fiction, then where the hell are they now?

That is the craziest post I read on ATS so far.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

reply to post by otherpotato

Would that be all douche bags that are not properly zoned, or just the religious kind?

That seems like a stupid question. He was pissing off his neighbors. Do you honestly think any of the waited to find out what religion he was before deciding whether or not to let that being pissed matter?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunyadammm

There is a reason that Heracles (Hercules), Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon are featured in modern films, and it isn't because they were characters of fiction.

Then where are they now?
Gods do not just die.
If they were not characters of fiction, then where the hell are they now?

That is the craziest post I read on ATS so far.

That's because simply did not understand. He wasn't making a case for the objective existence of these gods. He was just saying that their import goes much deeper then sponge bob. That it is a projection, or flowering of you will, of the deepest parts of the psyche. A part of the psyche which all humans hold in common. That the use of such mythology unlocks "psyhic" forces (I'm not talking about super powers here) dormant in all of mankind.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by renegadeloser
That's because simply did not understand. He wasn't making a case for the objective existence of these gods.

No, I understood that was the goal but then I actually read his entire post. You should read it too. According to English, he is flat out saying those gods are real.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That's BS!!! To you and all the nay sayers out there...

This is not about bs code violations!!! They used that as an excuse. Come on people, we all break those codes everytime we throw a football party in our home, host a poker game, or barmitsfa (sp?)

He was more than willing to go with them, why the storming of the house, excessive punishment, and over reaction???

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That's BS!!! To you and all the nay sayers out there...

This is not about bs code violations!!! They used that as an excuse. Come on people, we all break those codes everytime we throw a football party in our home, host a poker game, or barmitsfa (sp?)

He was more than willing to go with them, why the storming of the house, excessive punishment, and over reaction???

Try having 80 people over to watch football at your home twice a week, year round. Then try to get out of paying your property taxes all while lowering the property values of the neighbors around you who do pay taxes. I would like to see how long that lasts.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nunyadammm

It doesn't matter why they claim they arrested him... It's how they chose to handle it that concerns me. Why did they storm his house? Why not just simply ask him to follow them? It was a non violent protest... In his own home, he would have left willingly.

The over reaction is my concern.

Are you even sure he was claiming tax exempt? or that it was being used as a church? To me bible study is very different than church...

Regardless!!!

If I choose to have 10-20 or 100 people over weekly to study the word of God, watch football, or play board games... That should be up to me, not my neighbors!!!

Now if we are blaring music or being obnoxious, that's another story...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
reply to post by nunyadammm

It doesn't matter why they claim they arrested him...

Kinda does.

It's how they chose to handle it that concerns me. Why did they storm his house? Why not just simply ask him to follow them? It was a non violent protest... In his own home, he would have left willingly.

Yeah it is a damn shame the way criminals get treated sometimes.

The over reaction is my concern.

Are you even sure he was claiming tax exempt? or that it was being used as a church? To me bible study is very different than church...

Regardless!!!

So you did not read the story?

If I choose to have 10-20 or 100 people over weekly to study the word of God, watch football, or play board games... That should be up to me, not my neighbors!!!

Your neighbors do not have rights as far as you are concerned?
That makes you an un-American prick.

Now if we are blaring music or being obnoxious, that's another story...

I never saw a kid get run over by a song.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
... all I see lately is that religion gives you the right to be a self-righteous, pain in the ass selfish douche bag.

I think if the Bible were updated, these would be Jesus's words to the Pharisees.

Compassion is always so much better than being a self-righteous, pain in the ass douche bag.

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join