It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona pastor jailed for home bible study

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Source

An Arizona pastor was sentanced to 60 days in jail for practicing his beliefs within city limits. This is another low blow to christians, especially within the city of Phoenix. Apparently, it is illegal within the city pf phoenix to have a private home based bible study if it isn't "zoned for church". Now for people of christian faith we all know that a private bible study is nothing like church, we gather together to talk about and discuss scripture, oftentimes in small groups to study God's written Word. So now it's geting to the point where we have to be zoned to even gather together with friends and family just to talk about what we believe in? This is a violation of the right to religious freedom. What next, shall we be required to buy permits and licenses just to have the right to believe what we believe? This is an outrage. This pastor had 12 Pheonix PD officer storm into his home, arrest him and treat him like a criminal, just for teaching God's word in the privacy of his own home? We are seeing the days where the government dictates what people can and cannot believe in and do within the confines of their own private residences. The man wasn't peddling drugs he was holding a study group!

Bible study leader Michael Salman is sitting in jail today after his home was raided earlier this week by more than a dozen Phoenix, Ariz. police officers and city officials. His offense? The city says people aren’t allowed to hold private Bible studies on their own property

[mods place this in the correct forum if this is not it, i felt this the appropriate forum because it is a violation of the Bill of Rights]
edit on 5-8-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There should be a protest about this kind of violation of civil liberties.

+40 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Fact Sheet Regarding the Michael Salman Case

The Michael Salman court case is about building safety. Building and safety codes are in-place to protect the safety and welfare of all of our residents. Some of the relevant facts in this case include:

A house of worship is allowed in any zoning district in the City of Phoenix
The case is about the building that is used for regular assembly does not meet construction and fire code requirements for assembly
All houses of worship in the City of Phoenix must conform to the same codes

Looks like this is another case of someone disobeying city codes, then crying "religious persecution".

Due to the regular, reoccurring high vehicular traffic in this quiet residential neighborhood, neighbors repeatedly complained about the public assembly occurring on his property. Because of the multiple, reoccurring complaints, the City investigated the activity and discovered numerous building code violations primarily related to fire safety standards. Once apprised of these violations, the City could be held liable for not enforcing safety code requirements in the event anyone was injured on the premises. Prior to commencement of prosecution, Mr. Salman was asked, repeatedly, to comply with the safety codes of the City. He chose to ignore these requests for voluntary compliance prior to the commencement of any proceedings.

Below is a summary of the case from the City's Law Department, including quotes from the relevant court judgments.

Watch out for FOX news... There's an agenda there.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Pffft, protest? Someone should go down to the court and ask them if they want war.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How is this not a violation of the free exercise clause of the 2nd Amendment?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The Constitution has been overrun by Corporate Law! I will bet money that this city or town is a Corporation. See they get away with doing this by their illegal zoning laws! He wasn't arrested for his religious beliefs (as the corrupt city officials and cops will say) he was arrested for violating a zoning law......Americans will never wake the hell up! I wonder if the cops show up and arrest people for having BBQ's?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So am I allowed to have my family over on christmas day and pull out the bible and have a bible study with my 30 or so family members?

Soon you won't be allowed to have anyone over to your house if they aren't on the lean, insurrance policy and permitted by the city.

Oh i'm not religious either.

+29 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There were 96 city code violations. If there had been a fire, people would have likely been killed and the city would be held liable.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Lawyers can always dig up a code someplace, that's why they make the big bucks.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

Originally posted by Doalrite
So am I allowed to have my family over on christmas day and pull out the bible and have a bible study with my 30 or so family members?

If your house meets city code, yes.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Bull# BH, I have read about this case. The city is mad they had too many people parking at this person's house. Are you still here to accentuate the government position in every case possible?

Yeah, Faux News has an agenda! They think people getting together to discuss biblical teaching is just............okay. What the HELL is wrong with you?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Does your house meet city codes? Give us your address so we can come over and inspect your domicile.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

No, l I'm here to look BEHIND the sensational headlines and find out the other side of the story.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIGHTvsDARK

Does your house meet city codes? Give us your address so we can come over and inspect your domicile.

Codes change constantly. 99% of the houses don't meet current coding.

link   
All of this in a red state of Arizona, how can they blame Obama or liberals for this? (Obama and liberals are the reason bad things happen) right?

Arizona republicans have been working overtime to limit rights of the people, yet another fine example.

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
There were 96 city code violations. If there had been a fire, people would have likely been killed and the city would be held liable.

GEEZ! As a site superintendent, building large apartment complexes, if the building inspector came to a site that I built one year after construction, we would be guilty of EVERY code they wrote after construction.

You have NO IDEA what the heck you are even talking about do you?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

Originally posted by LIGHTvsDARK

I have already had my house inspected (before we bought it) and it meets city code. Saltzman built a "church:" building in his yard. This case is not about his house.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
All of this in a red state of Arizona, how can they blame Obama or liberals for this? (Obama and liberals are the reason bad things happen) right?

Arizona republicans have been working overtime to limit rights of the people, yet another fine example.

I thought it was all because of Bush if my memory serves correctly.

link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

How is this not a violation of the free exercise clause of the 2nd Amendment?

Dunno, but apparently theyre using legal loopholes to deny people their rights.

link   

No, l I'm here to look BEHIND the sensational headlines and find out the other side of the story.

Listen,,,,,I am not a Christian, but I do believe in the Constitution of the United States of America!! You miss the fact that you NEVER see someone arrested for having poker parties, BBQ's etc etc...

I see every week of Christians being prosecuted for practicing their religious beliefs! Never see a problem with any other religion....Hmmmm, kind of amazes me that this sort of prosecution of those with the Christian faith suddenly gained attention after the election of our current POTUS! I don't give a damn if he is a Muslim or a Christian or he believes in shaking hands with the damn devil when he wakes up in the morning, but he sure as hell as the President of the United States should abide by the Constitution!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join