It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians cant eat lobster, wear polyester, wear gold, eat rabbit, have tattoos, get divrced, have

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

Sorry for that. I'll read the rest. I had just read the OP.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Any human who is familiar with his/her chosen religion will pick and choose what rules and guidelines to follow and which to discard. Since God is not personally appearing to the masses to say who is right and who is wrong, everything we do is based on hope and faith.

Most protestant religions agree on most beliefs, that is why so many declarations of faith are so similar. Most of what they disagree on is pretty insignificant stuff.

Yes, there are some that get way “out there”, but they are by far the minority.

In fact, some religions believe that God knows every action every human will take in life.

Try most, not some.
Predestination is clearly mentioned in the Bible multiple times.

If that's the case, then every good deed and every henious crime has been given the "green light" in advance by THE Creator. (Hopefully, people who believe this are wrong, becasue the implications do not place Our Father in a flattering light at all!)

God does not “green light” sin simply because he knows in advance you're going to commit sin. We do not live in “Gods World” we live in the “devils world”, which again is clearly explained in the Bible. God does not intercede to prevent bad things from happening, or bad people from doing bad things, because we have subjected ourselves to live under the “Law” in “Satan's world”. We have an out now by accepting forgiveness of sins through the grace of Christ.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The bible... thats my favorite big book of fictional bedtime stories. Sex, intrigue, battle scenes, zombies... and those 10 demandments are to die for

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I have tried to find in the Bible where it says that Satan owns this world. It must be hidden in some way, because I can't locate wording that indicates this. If true, why did God turn his own children over to Satan? He's superior to Satan and could have wiped him out even before creating us. To turn his children over to the evil molestor down the street is not father-like at all. Hopefully, you are wrong about Satan owning mankind and the planet we live on, Defcon5.
-cwm
edit on 5-8-2012 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The Jews wanted laws and God gave some of them to protect them from disease and ailments. The laws had a healthy purpose. In the days without refrigeration and minimal in-depth knowledge of hygiene, God made the "laws" to protect the people. It is easy to take issue with them in these days of advanced technology, but why dwell on perceived inequities rather than the promises of God that are coming true in many millions of lives?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

There are numerous referrals to this, here are a quick few:

Matthew 4:
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[e]”

2 Corinthians 4:4
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

John 14:30
Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me.

John 12:31
The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It almost seems like the Muslims are better examples of what Christians should be. No wonder the religious bigots are terrorizing both sides..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by defcon5

Well it's quite unsettling that Christians use an English word to mean something very different than its English meaning.

But fair enough

edit on 5-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

Oddly enough, it was earlier stated that homosexuality in the New Testament falls under the sin of "adultery," I assume due to the fact that it is not specifically mentioned except in the Old Testament. I looked up the definition of adultery:

Bible Dictionary
Adultery definition

conjugal infidelity. An adulterer was a man who had illicit intercourse with a married or a betrothed woman, and such a woman was an adulteress. Intercourse between a married man and an unmarried woman was fornication. Adultery was regarded as a great social wrong, as well as a great sin. The Mosaic law (Num. 5:11-31) prescribed that the suspected wife should be tried by the ordeal of the "water of jealousy." There is, however, no recorded instance of the application of this law. In subsequent times the Rabbis made various regulations with the view of discovering the guilty party, and of bringing about a divorce. It has been inferred from John 8:1-11 that this sin became very common during the age preceding the destruction of Jerusalem. Idolatry, covetousness, and apostasy are spoken of as adultery spiritually (Jer. 3:6, 8, 9; Ezek. 16:32; Hos. 1:2:3; Rev. 2:22). An apostate church is an adulteress (Isa. 1:21; Ezek. 23:4, 7, 37), and the Jews are styled "an adulterous generation" (Matt. 12:39). (Comp. Rev. 12.)

dictionary.reference.com...

Again, this is another English word that is being conveniently stretched to cover other concepts.. Hrmn..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Labrynth2012

No, shame on you for only reading the O.P.
If you read my other posts you will find out what the point I was trying to make.
Being new to this site I am not used to people reading only the O.P.
I should have put MY own opinions into the O.P so you could have garnered what I was asking along with the point I was trying to make. Go and read my other posts.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

If true, why did God turn his own children over to Satan?

He didn't. Mankind chose to live under the “law” rather then under “grace”, which subjected us to this world. This world, for whatever reason, belongs to Satan. The bible never really expounds on this point. Some of the Pseudepigraphal writings go into further detail about the fact that the Earth is Satan’s, and he was rather pissed about God handing it over to man.

He's superior to Satan and could have wiped him out even before creating us.

There is a reason for this, but its never explained to us why God didn't do away with Satan before creating man.

One theory is that Satan fell because of man, because he didn't like that God created man to be superior to the angels. So Satan fell after man was already here.

Another theory is that man would have fallen out of grace on his own, but because Satan tempted us, that gave God the option to allow us a “second chance” that the fallen angles do not receive. In other words, the fact that we fell because of the angels interference we get a chance at receiving grace again. While the angels who fell on their own accord out of pride, don't get a second chance. Satan might literally be a necessary evil to Gods ultimate plan.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Try fornication.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I am not a Christian, but I can tell you that your logic and insecurity of someones elses religion is extremely flawed!
Leviticus was from the old testament, (Torah) which was a set of laws for the Jews! NOT CHRISTIANS!
The New Testament is for the Christians!

Not sure why you have to post against someones religious beliefs if you don't yourself agree with them, and if you do, you might want to make sure that your posting is accurate!
edit on 5-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: wording

Yes, and he is probably knowing that many Christians are not fundamentalists, and don't spend alot of time in the Old Testament. They follow Christ, only really.

But his point is, that the passages that condemn homosexuality are in the same chapter, primarily as all these other things.

So if you are a fundamentalist you would be following all of those as well, not picking and choosing.

Putting people to death even?

But if you have moved on and believe, as the rest of the Christians do, that much of this is past, and they didn't understand biology and nature, and they were not as advanced, this was the middle east back a few thousand years at that, and many Christains pick and choose and believe that God has advanced our undersanding and we have human rights that supercede all that smiting and harm that came out of war generals remaking Goodness/God in their image.

You see that how I thought going to Church, and many of my relatives going to Church. We were never fundamentalists.

But, those who really put down homosexuality are doing so on the basis of books that tell you to put your spouse and children to death if they commit adultery or don't listen, and to marry your daughter to the rapist if she underaged and raped, etc.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
But his point is, that the passages that condemn homosexuality are in the same chapter, primarily as all these other things.

Its in the New Testament as well, several times in the letters of Paul, and even in Jude.

link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I am not a Christian, but I can tell you that your logic and insecurity of someones elses religion is extremely flawed!
Leviticus was from the old testament, (Torah) which was a set of laws for the Jews! NOT CHRISTIANS!
The New Testament is for the Christians!

Not sure why you have to post against someones religious beliefs if you don't yourself agree with them, and if you do, you might want to make sure that your posting is accurate!
edit on 5-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: wording

Then why do Christians say that everyone should follow the laws set forth in Leviticus. You know, the verses they say makes homosexuality a sin. Check your own logic first.

link   

You have made a common error. Christians do not live by Jewish laws.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Try fornication.

I just did.
Where is it mentioned specifically in the New Testament?

Bible Dictionary
Fornication definition

in every form of it was sternly condemned by the Mosaic law (Lev. 21:9; 19:29; Deut. 22:20, 21, 23-29; 23:18; Ex. 22:16). (See ADULTERY.) But this word is more frequently used in a symbolical than in its ordinary sense. It frequently means a forsaking of God or a following after idols (Isa. 1:2; Jer. 2:20; Ezek. 16; Hos. 1:2; 2:1-5; Jer. 3:8,9).

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

edit on 8/5/2012 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig

You have made a common error. Christians do not live by Jewish laws.

As I have already blooming well stated about a hundred ******* times, I was wondering why many of the more vocal Christians quote the line from Leviticus to condemn homosexuals and may well have taken it out of historical context. Read the thread.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Both fornication and same sex relations are mentioned in the new testament. There's even a wiki page on this, so just go look it up if you don't believe me. Christ didn't specifically mention same sex relationships because Christ was only to minister to the Jews, not the gentiles. Jews enforced the old laws on that subject, so it was not an issue that Christ had to deal with during his ministry. The subject didn't become an “issue” until the disciples had to go out and minister to the gentiles, which is why it comes up later in the New Testament.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Hmmm, Paul. He is Rome. And He said women should cover their heads, he took Christ's message of freeing people, grass roots Love and equality with women and children, and telling them, the pharisees, who their father really was, and I noticed all these things, the Spirit within me filled me with the understanding of what he was saying. And then along comes Paul.

Im not a Paulian. Most of my family wasn't into Paul much either.

We were raised with books in the Church library, that I read, that explained that earlier books were later additions in the bible and that it was pretty much metaphors. That was the Catholic Church. Later attended the Anglican, and had the wonderful fortune of having a university professor for a minister, and he had some lovely radical ideas himself.

Some of us consider Paul a trojan horse and Roman agent, twisting the religion a little.

But the passages that are specifically anti gay and harsh are old testament and found in the very chapter that tells you to give your daughter to the one who rapes her.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

It is specifically mentioned in the NT. 1 Romans v. 26

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join