It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians cant eat lobster, wear polyester, wear gold, eat rabbit, have tattoos, get divrced, have

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

I am a Christian who eats an OT diet.

I get questioned about it, and take offense to people eating ham to celebrate Christmas and Easter. I get questioned all the time if I am Jewish, and I just smile and say, no, but Jesus was.

He came to earth to enforce the laws put into place in the Old Testament. People seem to forget that.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

You're misunderstanding what the Bible calls “judgment”.
I cannot as a Christian “judge” whats in your heart, nor your repentance of doing something wrong, but I can point out to you when you are doing something wrong. Pointing out that you are doing something wrong according to some rule (mans or Gods), is not “judgment” its simply telling you that you are doing something wrong. There is a difference.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I'd hardly consider what most “conservatives” call Christianity to be true Christianity, there are many Pharisees out there that use Christianity to further agenda of bigotry, and nothing more. These are not truly Christians.

See this is exactly what I was thinking you might feel.

Remember when you said don't make me prove a negative you're asking the impossible.

Well that's what this is as well. You're essentially asking atheists, agnostics, and opposing denominations to believe or respect your understanding as the proper way to understand it and the other ways as false.

That's okay. I won't profess you're wrong, or Catholics are correct. But this is what I meant as pragmatic. The rest of the World, namely the non-religious, are NOT going to be making those differentiations as it requires faith in the Bible to do so. WE instead acknowledge someone is a Christian because they say they are and preach from the Christian Bible.

Hence the thread.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Well it's quite unsettling that Christians use an English word to mean something very different than its English meaning.

But fair enough

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

LL. It is not I that used the word Judge in the first place. Real Christians can not judge. They can warn someone or something is wrong and of the penalties regarding the bible. But they do not judge. The bible does that. The bible says "judge not..."

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Saying homosexuality is a sin because of what the Bible says is in fact judgement based on the very definition of the word judgement. You will have to redefine the word to say otherwise. Saying you're not judging only God is, is simply a lie. Look at the definition.

I am not telling you to not have these beliefs. But Christians need to take responsibility and understand it IS judgement. And as is my point here, it's very common that those beliefs are influenced by OT and then used to judge others.

Nope...
Telling someone that homosexuality (or any sin for that matter) is a sin in the Bible is not Judging them, its simply informing them that they may be doing something wrong. Now if I said: “You are going to hell”, then I'm judging you. Telling someone that something is a sin, when its stated as being a sin, is not judging, its simply telling them the truth. Judging them is a whole other ball of wax. For all I know that person might know what they are doing is a sin, and have repented it. Maybe its something they struggle with, but know is wrong, and are trying to do better. I cannot judge their hearts, and I cannot condemn them, but I can point out when they are slipping.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

reply to post by defcon5

Well it's quite unsettling that Christians use an English word to mean something very different than its English meaning.

But fair enough

The bible wasn't written in English, and the dictionary definition didn't exist back then.
There are quite a number of passages that deal with this subject in the Bible, more then I care to dig up now, but its not as straight forward as folks wanting to “cherry pick” the “judge lest not you be judged” remark.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

What you said. +1

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Telling someone that something is a sin, when its stated as being a sin, is not judging, its simply telling them the truth.

We should just drop this part. There is no way we are going to agree because we are BOTH correct.

We are using two different definitions. The one I am using, as intended for our English language, I am not incorrect here. It is judgement.

In the Biblical language it is not, so in that light (pun intended) I am wrong.

The bible wasn't written in English,

Greek Hebrew and Aramaic and then to Latin?

and the dictionary definition didn't exist back then.

Funny you should say. Neither did an equivalent term for homosexuality nor a conception of orientation. A term and understanding coined much much much later yet is somehow in modern translations of that time. Interesting
But anyways, that;s off topic,

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

No, biblicaly you are incorrect.
There are even different types of judgment mentioned in the Bible.
For example “Righteous judgment”.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I was already aware that SOME Christians only follow the New Testament but as I have already stated I was questioning the reasoning behind the Christians that use the line from Leviticus in the Old Testament to condemn homosexuals.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

As you would have gathered had you read my posts properly you would have seen that it was questioning SOME Christians. This point has been stressed by myself in many other posts. And it has been questioning not bashing or hating.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Funny you should say. Neither did an equivalent term for homosexuality nor a conception of orientation.

Actually it is mentioned, though I am not sure if they had a proper term for it back then. It certainly was going on in the ancient world with some frequency.

A term and understanding coined much much much later yet is somehow in modern translations of that time.

It does not matter, it still falls under “fornication”, “adultery”, and breaking God's first command to all creation to be “fruitful and multiply”. It's a sin, the same as any other sin. Lying, swearing, cheating, stealing, murder, etc... are all sins equally under Gods eyes. There is no sin greater then any other, sin is sin.

...Though there is one sin that prevents you from being able to be forgiven of your sins, but that is another topic...

Interesting
But anyways, that;s off topic,

We are getting slightly sidetracked here.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Where is the word homosexual in the bible? It's not there. It may be in the new bibles, but not the original English translation. This is why I don't care for new translations/ it takes the emphases out of the words. We have such a sloppy language really.
This is why they used sayings like "man.... with a man" Your right, they had no word for it back then.

edit on 5-8-2012 by murphy22 because: spelling errors

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
These are old laws and over time things change.... Still aren't suppose to murder steal cheat lie and do homo activity.... And i dont know any christian homos, closet homo's, maybe, but at least they keep it to themselves, and the judge...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

That was a good comment you made about "judgement" versus "a tip to you to watch out for this or that". Well said brother!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
reply to post by b14warrior

Galatians 3

23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The Jewish people were protected in this way until faith was to come. Why? Here is one good reason as reference to your post. Shellfish could not be kept at a temperature that would sustain its freshness. Since the dessert was not directly on the sea, the ban was in place to keep mankind from death by bacterial infection. Also, with the other animals, consider the toxicity index of each animal defined.

We can use a pig as a good example. Pigs feed on refuse. Their body is full of toxins. Shark is the same. Shark fin soup is a delicacy, but do you know where most of the toxic chemicals are located on the Shark? Their main fin. Catfish are bottom dwellers. They are another example of a fish full of toxic substances. If a person restricted their diet to mostly fruits and vegetables and the meats listed as good for consumption in the Bible, they would live much longer. There is no doubt of this and what I am saying here can be demonstrated.

Phytotoxic Index

LINK

It is foolish to throw out these things against the Bible. In every case, the Bible will rise to the high ground. How about Circumcision? Are you aware that the foreskin is there to keep friction in check in the womb? It also seals up the womb from urine and infection. When the baby is born, the adult man is much less likely to develop infection. In Bible times, this was a must because of living conditions and access to water for bathing. The woman is prone to yeast infections. Because of the same reasoning, the woman would have a better chance of keeping away from an infection if the man was circumcised.

As a way to reflect this to mankind, God used this as a symbol of taking away our pride so that we see how important it is to live our lives apart from sin. Circumcision was a symbol for the cutting away of sin in the form of pride. Where is a man's pride most symbolized?

edit on 5-8-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the information. This is actually the point I was trying to make and if you check on my further responses throughout the thread you will see this.
In fact the film I recommended at the end of my O.P is a film that makes the point that you can't take these rules literally in modern society, that they were guidlines for that era and were often for health reasons or safety.

Perhaps I should have put that in my original post but I kinda just wanted to throw it out there and see what discussion came of it.

I am perhaps not used to a forum where people will only read the first post and then respond without seeing further questions, comment and debate.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Any human who is familiar with his/her chosen religion will pick and choose what rules and guidelines to follow and which to discard. Since God is not personally appearing to the masses to say who is right and who is wrong, everything we do is based on hope and faith.

In fact, some religions believe that God knows every action every human will take in life. If that's the case, then every good deed and every henious crime has been given the "green light" in advance by THE Creator. (Hopefully, people who believe this are wrong, becasue the implications do not place Our Father in a flattering light at all!)

Just try to treat everyone with respect and spread good vibes through mankind without judging others whom God has created. If you can learn to do this most of time, you'll enjoy inner peace. There's NOTHING more rewarding than being at peace as you go through this life.
-cwm

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeHunt

Yes, very well said.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
In the same book that silly Christians often use to condemn Homosexuals where it says a man should not lie with another man is a whole host of rules. Many of which are on the same page as the one they love to quote so much!

One is that you should not eat shellfish....... so, no lobster for you silly fundamentalist Christians, sorry.
Shellfish.
Leviticus 11:10 "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." God hated the Mods then!

It also says you should not wear two different types of cloth at the same time so silly fundamentalist Christians....... if you are cold and wearing a cotton T-shirt (and you best pray it's 100% or you go straight to hell!) you can't then pull on a woollen jumper.

Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord." So you have a tattoo of Jesus and Mary on your arm? Wow, I'm sure your god will be chuffed to bits!

And in Leviticus 11:8 where it is talking about pigs: "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you." Turns out you silly fundamentalist Christians have far more in common with silly Muslims than you like to admit.
Furthermore it actually a whole host of other meats and seems to be very much akin to Kosher laws. Its bans dozens from crocodile (which I must if you haven't tried then do so, it's tasty, although you will go to hell!) and snails (one of my favorites!) to rabbit (no rabbit pie? pft!)

People who can't come to church or worship your God:
Anybody who has any direct descendants that were born out of wedlock:
Deuteronomy 23:2 "No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
Anybody that has has surgery that removes the penis or testicles:
Deuteronomy 23:1 "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

Are you silly fundamentalist Christians committing adultery?
Mark 10:11-12, "And He said to them, 'Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.'
Mark 10:9 "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
Mark is not your friend if you have been divorced!

Things you can't wear:
Synthetic or combined materials-
Leviticus 19:19 "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
Expensive clothes, pearls, gold or even braided hair (if you are female that is, so the men, go ahead and wearing fancy pearls, braided hair and an expensive frock to church, it's ok, god doesn't mind!)-
Timothy 2:9 "Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."

Last one for now-
Deuteronomy 25:11-12. "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."
WTF? Eh?

I also saw a post recently with a quote from the Bible that clearly states you should not be anywhere near a woman that is menstruating and although I 100% with that one it is not for religious reasons!

To understand why these rules are in the bible and what to make of them in today's society please go and watch a film called 'For The Bible Tells Me So'.

So what is the POINT of your diatribe ? Christian Bashing ? Judging Christians because of they way they feel about Homosexuals ? Pretty sad commentary, no matter how you dice it, slice it, cut it up and spoon feed it.
Your posting is about condemnation, not about forgiveness and love. Shame on you !

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join