It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians cant eat lobster, wear polyester, wear gold, eat rabbit, have tattoos, get divrced, have

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
If the old testament doesn't count for Christians then why do they still believe in Noah's ark and Genesis and all that, pretty sure they still read genesis, at least the young earth creationists do anyway. Someone should tell them they are not supposed to read that part because its "not for them".

There is a BIG difference between believing what the old testament says, and still following the old Jewish covenant laws. I didn't say they aren't supposed to “read” the old testament, I said that the Jewish Covenant is fulfilled and those laws between God and the Jews don't apply to Christians.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
One thing that pisses me off is there is no mandate in the Bible that allows preachers to pimp the Son of God like a two bit whore so they can amass worldly goods and great personal wealth. Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple. He did not offer to sell them a franchise.

Jesus gave his words freely and without asking for compensation in return, so why are people making money on religious books and magazines, especially those who sell the Bible?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Your really reaching..... really this?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
How it should be done and how it's practiced is currently experiencing some cognitive dissonance then.
Which is my point and that of the OP.

Is there a point to this, or is this simply a Christian bashing thread at its heart?
If you have a problem with a particular instance, then please point it out, and I'll happily look at it. Don't tell me to try and prove a negative (aka. Christians still hold to old testament Jewish laws), as we all know that is impossible to do.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nunyadammm

New Testament, 1 Romans v. 26

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Churches have operating costs just like everyone else on the planet. Its hard to hold a sermon when you don't have a building or electricity. Christians are supposed to want to help with the costs of that, and they are asked by God to tithe to his church. However, its all voluntary, and none of it is mandatory. You can certainly go to church every week, and never become an actual member, or never pay them a dime.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22

Christians are not suppose to force there beliefs on anyone.
No place in the bible does it say to do this.

There is much in the Bible advocating violence towards those that reject the belief..that's kind of like forcing

Define forced though? You are encouraged to spread the Good Word are you not?

There are more things that ment death than just homosexual acts.

Lots. I know.

Christians can't judge, the bible does that.

Yet the moral beliefs Christians get from these teachings are used all the time to discriminate. And to influence the voting booth. The definition of judgement includes this.

Originally posted by Defcon5
There are Christians at various levels of understanding, just as there are on any other topic. Do not take what someone wrote, possibly incorrectly, on the net to be an official “statement of faith” of any religious organization.

I completely understand. But that's not the point I am making.

Your wording is key here. Notice you just said the ones that don't have a high level of understanding are still Christians. All the the shades in between.

All of Christendom. All the Christian Churches and the Christian members. That's the scope of this point. And my point is that moral beliefs are very much formed from OT commonly and subsequently put into practice in very tangible ways. Often discrimination for example.

Ergo why many of us continue to point out all those atrocious things in the OT.

This isn't a matter of the proper way to understand the Bible it's a matter of looking pragmatically on how it really is being understood in the World at large.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Nice post.

I think this means she can not kick them in the balls or grab and crush.
even to save the life of her husband. stupid.

Last one for now- Deuteronomy 25:11-12. "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity." WTF? Eh?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

No, LL. At that time stoning them was law not ritual. NT says "Judge not, that ye/you be not judged"
That said, telling someone they are wrong is not judging them. The bible judges them.
If someone told you, "if you speed, you'll get a ticket!" how is that judging?
That's a warning of caution.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

Hey deep thinker

Christ was in the NEW TESTAMENT

That's THE OLD TESTAMENT YOU ARE QUOTING...
Besides IF you know the Bible you would know that the LAWS were changed in the NEW TESTAMENT

Here is just an example of your shellfish thought in the book of ACTS 11

11 The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God.
2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him
3 and said, “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.”
4 Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story:
5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was.
6 I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds.
7 Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’
8 “I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’
9 “The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’
10 This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.

SOOOOO... God says all "unclean food" is now clean
Lobster for everyone!!!!

edit on 5-8-2012 by ccsct203 because: spelling

edit on 5-8-2012 by ccsct203 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Like in history, "recieve Christ or you die"! That was not Christian. And it urks me that this is the modern view of it in some circles.

No church that I am aware of teaches this outside of old Catholicism. Catholicism is not considered Christianity by many protestant Christians, including myself. They teach many things that are in direct conflict with the Bible, and label it under “tradition”.

Yet the moral beliefs Christians get from these teachings are used all the time to discriminate. And to influence the voting booth. The definition of judgement includes this.

I'd hardly consider what most “conservatives” call Christianity to be true Christianity, there are many Pharisees out there that use Christianity to further agenda of bigotry, and nothing more. These are not truly Christians.

All of Christendom. All the Christian Churches and the Christian members. That's the scope of this point. And my point is that moral beliefs are very much formed from OT commonly and subsequently put into practice in very tangible ways. Often discrimination for example.

Not everyone who becomes a Christian has the ability to understand the Bible to the same level as everyone else. Not all of them decide to become pastors, and go through years of training. That does not stop them from expressing their opinions of the topic, even if sometimes incorrectly.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
So i just had Lobster, with my special rabbits foot charm..

I have polyester on and i can see my 7 tattoo's,

am wearing a gold earring and been divorced 3 times..

Thank GOD I'm not a christian......

none of this is true...

except the part where i say i am not a christian..

see how silly all this sounds?

religion sucks..all of it!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Okay LL. You show me where it tells Christians to be violent? Not Jews of the OT but Cristians.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

That said, telling someone they are wrong is not judging them.

To come to the conclusion that they were wrong was a result of judgement.

The bible judges them.
If someone told you, "if you speed, you'll get a ticket!" how is that judging?
That's a warning of caution.

Judgement:
1. an act or instance of judging.
dictionary.reference.com...

2. the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, especially in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: a man of sound judgment.

3. the demonstration or exercise of such ability or capacity: The major was decorated for the judgment he showed under fire.

4. the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind: Our judgment as to the cause of his failure must rest on the evidence.

5. the opinion formed: He regretted his hasty judgment.

Saying homosexuality is a sin because of what the Bible says is in fact judgement based on the very definition of the word judgement. You will have to redefine the word to say otherwise. Saying you're not judging only God is, is simply a lie. Look at the definition.

I am not telling you to not have these beliefs. But Christians need to take responsibility and understand it IS judgement. And as is my point here, it's very common that those beliefs are influenced by OT and then used to judge others.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
the trouble with society today is that everything is acceptable ...religion was created to control the masses ,this worked for a few thousand years until people finally woke up .. modern religion is at best a joke ..no morals or values

its a bit ironic that religion is and always has been the biggest killer on the planet ...i don't want any part of it

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I could tell you way this was a law. But I will not. There is nothing wrong with this verse, if you understood what it was saying, why it says it and in what time they lived, It would not seem so absurd to you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Okay LL. You show me where it tells Christians to be violent? Not Jews of the OT but Cristians.

I am sure I could. But you're taking this out of context. This was in response to what you said here.

No place in the bible does it say to do this.

The Bible. You said The Bible...meaning both OT and NT.

Please be more mindful

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

I agree with you pointing these things out, and with pointing to "fundamentalist Christians", but let's be careful to differentiate certain people from Christians as a whole. Most Christians are more interested in the New Testament than the Old. The reason the "food rules" invoke kosher rules to you is that's where they come from - the Torah's Book of Leviticus. The only Christians who really follow the Old Testament are those who usually only follow certain aspects of it (I.e. Taking the rules about homosexuality to be the main tenet of their religion while ignoring those about food, etc.) - this is mainly out of fear and insecurity, while they rarely, if ever, chide themselves for violating those rules they choose to break.

I am a Christian - I believe gays should be allowed to marry. I have had gay friends. I eat pork, well, religiously. I'm Catholic technically, but I have used birth control, etc. So please, always remember that loud vocal minority of crazies don't represent most Christians,

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Christians do not abide by the Old Testament, and this is a huge FAIL on your part, for not doing your homework. And I don't care what Christians do, as long as they don't go around blowing people up in the name of their God. That is what you should be afraid of, and quit worrying about who is going to get into Heaven or not for their deeds. You are trying to degrade Christianity based on their personal beliefs that don't affect anyone but themselves, and I am guessing you practice another religion, probably Islam, and that is why you are doing this. Islam openly states that it wants to kill all Christians, or anyone who isn't Islamic...And if you are not participating in the Jihad, then you are not truly Muslim either. So you tell me which religion you should be worrying about? Christians aren't saying these things, and pose no threat to the world.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Just to be clear real quick before I respond to other parts. I misquoted myself on accident. You responded to this part but it's not my quote.

Like in history, "recieve Christ or you die"! That was not Christian. And it urks me that this is the modern view of it in some circles.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join