It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians cant eat lobster, wear polyester, wear gold, eat rabbit, have tattoos, get divrced, have

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by b14warrior

I am not a Christian, but I can tell you that your logic and insecurity of someones elses religion is extremely flawed!
Leviticus was from the old testament, (Torah) which was a set of laws for the Jews! NOT CHRISTIANS!
The New Testament is for the Christians!

Not sure why you have to post against someones religious beliefs if you don't yourself agree with them, and if you do, you might want to make sure that your posting is accurate!
edit on 5-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: wording

If it is the "word of god". It would not need a rewrite.
Tell me, why did the bible need a rewrite for the christians?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by murphy22

I would like to add. All though we are all created by god (in Christian belief) That the jews are his chosen people. We gentiles are "grafted" in to his "kingdom" only through his mercy.
We have all sinned and have fallen short of his grace and mercy.
I am no better than anyone out there. I look and ask for mercy everyday. I need forgivness more than most. But I know what is true. That leaves me with no excuse on that day.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You obviously do not know what you are talking about because if you did you would not post this......The Old Testament is for the jews as was stated by another poster. The New Testament is speaking to the Christians it is all about Jesus' coming. Jesus came to fulfill the law, not abolish it. The jews do not believe in the New Testament because they do not believe Jesus is the Messiah.

so do not say we "cherry pick" what to believe. By fulfill it means Jesus paid our debt, so we do not have to. So take it up with Jesus not believers......

pax

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22
reply to post by ColoradoJens

In what way did I say, it was wrong?

Thank you for your explinations. I guess I don't get it. Was the Old Testament God's word? If so, why would it need to be changed? Are you saying He was speaking to only one group of people specifically and not mankind in general? And if it was only meant for the Jews, why does God have a different set of rules for everyone else? Why circumcision for Jews but not Christians? Why the shellfish business just for Jews? Why would God not have written his rules for everyone? Playing favorites doesn't seem to jibe considering we are all his creation.
Then again, as it is obvious, I don't get it in general...

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Why must you always assume all Christians abide by Leviticus and say such things against homosexuals?

It simply is not true that if we are to believe in God it requires being so hard hearted.

For the OP to make such allegations against Christians, that in itself is discriminatory.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Ah, I see you posted some answers to this before my last post. So Jews are god's chosen people. He does play favorites. Now I see where you are coming from.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Then you need to go back and read the thread again carefully because some replies say exactly that. I think you might have been a little too busy reading things into my post that weren't there.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
**yawn**.....

should't this be in the "Rant" forum?

Or maybe ATS should just go all-out and create a new "Things I Disagree With And Don't Understand About Other People's Faith" forum.
edit on 5-8-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

Quotes straight from the bible.... deal with it.
Whats not to understand? Basic comprehension skills make it pretty clear.

The three 'big' religions are all about hate, entire books filled with lists of things you should hate.
Things that make no sense and things that contradict one another.

Pick up the books, read them. It's all right there in black and white, plain as day and easy to comprehend.
You don't like it? well maybe you should question yourself and your beliefs.

In for a penny, in for a pound.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The fact you even ask is a credit to you. I do not have all the answers and don't believe I'm better than anyone else. I am not.
All I know is what the bible says. And for the old testament time the Jews were the chosen of his creation.
That said, there were gentiles that was among them that the bible leads one to believe god favored them. The gentiles among them had to follow the Mosaic law also or they recieved the same "punishments" dealt to the Jews.
Even his chosen people rejected him countless times. But he made a promise to Abraham that he could not break. It is all in there to read. But it is not easy to understand I admit. But when it does dawn on you it is really something.
He "grafted" in the gentile people and gave us all a chance to be his people. Thanks to his sacrifice on the cross.
I do not ask god why he did this or that. He's god and doesn't need to explain himself to me. I am just greatful he was mindful enough to allow me some understanding. Enough to know I have no excuse.

But when a conversation like this evolves I have to speak. Jesus said: "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my father in heaven." As a believer I have to put the info out to the best of my ability. Am I going to say your going to hell? No, again not my place. You may for all I know make it to heaven and I wont. But I do know the lord will not say to me "you denied me."

Like I have said all I know is what the bible says about things.
Do Christians put people in hell? No. Does it put Christians in hell also? Yes. People walk the earth like they already made heaven. It says: "to walk with fear and trembling." It even says says hell will be worse for Christians, because we knew him. Who puts people in hell then? The word of the lord does. It's a promise to evil doers. The bible puts us all in hell if we refuse to repent.

One big question I aways see: Do you think Jesus would punish.... inserting whoever...? My answer is that's up to "whoever". He said he was going to. Why do you ask if he would? But it would not be unjust. Not like he tricked you into it. He gives everyone time to make their life right.

But I do not believe in forcing my belief on others. That is not at all what the bible teaches. Nor does it say to fight and kill for the "holy land". No place in the new convenant does it say to kill in his name.
People have Christians all wrong bassed on twisted versions of it in history. And idiots proclaiming to be something they are not.

The bible judges you and me. I will not answer for you. You will not answer for me on that day.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

No, no "favorites" even the Jews have to believe on Jesus to be saved according to the new testament.
Don't be mad at me I didn't write it.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
lmao... the good christians always pick and choose what they want to follow from their book of primitive superstition while condemning all who dont follow their primitive .. barbaric superstition to hell...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

In what way does this make them good? The book of "superstition" does not say to do this. Matter of fact. says not to, In which case they are not a Christian.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

Galatians 3

23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The Jewish people were protected in this way until faith was to come. Why? Here is one good reason as reference to your post. Shellfish could not be kept at a temperature that would sustain its freshness. Since the dessert was not directly on the sea, the ban was in place to keep mankind from death by bacterial infection. Also, with the other animals, consider the toxicity index of each animal defined.

We can use a pig as a good example. Pigs feed on refuse. Their body is full of toxins. Shark is the same. Shark fin soup is a delicacy, but do you know where most of the toxic chemicals are located on the Shark? Their main fin. Catfish are bottom dwellers. They are another example of a fish full of toxic substances. If a person restricted their diet to mostly fruits and vegetables and the meats listed as good for consumption in the Bible, they would live much longer. There is no doubt of this and what I am saying here can be demonstrated.

Phytotoxic Index

LINK

It is foolish to throw out these things against the Bible. In every case, the Bible will rise to the high ground. How about Circumcision? Are you aware that the foreskin is there to keep friction in check in the womb? It also seals up the womb from urine and infection. When the baby is born, the adult man is much less likely to develop infection. In Bible times, this was a must because of living conditions and access to water for bathing. The woman is prone to yeast infections. Because of the same reasoning, the woman would have a better chance of keeping away from an infection if the man was circumcised.

As a way to reflect this to mankind, God used this as a symbol of taking away our pride so that we see how important it is to live our lives apart from sin. Circumcision was a symbol for the cutting away of sin in the form of pride. Where is a man's pride most symbolized?

edit on 5-8-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DominusIlluminatioMea
LOL old testament does not apply, there is a new covenant with Jesus Christ. Before trying to bash christians maby get all your facts right.

If only that were true.

It very much applies. Christians quote Old Testament all the damn time to support their beliefs.

So you all can argue this New Covenant has nullified the Old Law until you're blue in the face but the proof is in the pudding. It's still in the Bible and it's still used. All the time.

I have heard this same train of thought from countless Christians only to have them tell me a few breathes later all about Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed due to the gays.

You can easily pick out random threads in the religious forum and witness Christians calling upon Old Testament. Go ahead. I challenge anyone.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
All that stuff from Leviticus does not apply to any gentile, it only applies to Jews. Those are Old Testament Jewish laws, they are an agreement expressly between God and the Jews. Gentiles and Christians do not need to follow them, and they are included in the Christian Bible simply as a part of the Old Testament, which is only included to give background to the New Testament.

The rule about Divorce, however, does apply, which is why it was an excommunication offense in many Christian Churches. However, you “cherry picked” that verse about divorce out of context of the surrounding text. The Jews were already getting divorces, even though God disliked it. Christ was pointing out this fact, BUT he also gave instances where divorce was acceptable, such as when cheating is involved.
edit on 8/5/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
In the same book that silly Christians often use to condemn Homosexuals where it says a man should not lie with another man is a whole host of rules. Many of which are on the same page as the one they love to quote so much!

One is that you should not eat shellfish....... so, no lobster for you silly fundamentalist Christians, sorry.
Shellfish.
Leviticus 11:10 "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." God hated the Mods then!

It also says you should not wear two different types of cloth at the same time so silly fundamentalist Christians....... if you are cold and wearing a cotton T-shirt (and you best pray it's 100% or you go straight to hell!) you can't then pull on a woollen jumper.

Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord." So you have a tattoo of Jesus and Mary on your arm? Wow, I'm sure your god will be chuffed to bits!

And in Leviticus 11:8 where it is talking about pigs: "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you." Turns out you silly fundamentalist Christians have far more in common with silly Muslims than you like to admit.
Furthermore it actually a whole host of other meats and seems to be very much akin to Kosher laws. Its bans dozens from crocodile (which I must if you haven't tried then do so, it's tasty, although you will go to hell!) and snails (one of my favorites!) to rabbit (no rabbit pie? pft!)

People who can't come to church or worship your God:
Anybody who has any direct descendants that were born out of wedlock:
Deuteronomy 23:2 "No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
Anybody that has has surgery that removes the penis or testicles:
Deuteronomy 23:1 "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

Are you silly fundamentalist Christians committing adultery?
Mark 10:11-12, "And He said to them, 'Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.'
Mark 10:9 "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
Mark is not your friend if you have been divorced!

Things you can't wear:
Synthetic or combined materials-
Leviticus 19:19 "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
Expensive clothes, pearls, gold or even braided hair (if you are female that is, so the men, go ahead and wearing fancy pearls, braided hair and an expensive frock to church, it's ok, god doesn't mind!)-
Timothy 2:9 "Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."

Last one for now-
Deuteronomy 25:11-12. "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."
WTF? Eh?

I also saw a post recently with a quote from the Bible that clearly states you should not be anywhere near a woman that is menstruating and although I 100% with that one it is not for religious reasons!

To understand why these rules are in the bible and what to make of them in today's society please go and watch a film called 'For The Bible Tells Me So'.

Your whole post is nonsence. If you knew anything about christianity you would know that the new testament is the christian bible. Furthermore the old testament is written to christians as a learning tool.
When you look at the old testament for instance you will see that when a man commits a sin it must be paid for in blood. Therefore to be forgivin you had to sacrafice your best goat.
On the other hand christians believe that their sins have been forgivin because of the blood of christ, and their belief that christ existed.
I'm not real sure what religion your thread is about but it is not christianity... IMO

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Christians do not need to follow them, and they are included in the Christian Bible simply as a part of the Old Testament, which is only included to give background to the New Testament.

Don't need...Yet they do. It's clearly demonstrably taught that the Old Law is still to be followed throughout Churches in Modern Christendom.

So how do you reconcile the prevalence of Christians following Old Testament for moral belief? They are not real Christians if they do?
edit on 5-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Your confusing sin with ritual. Ritual doesn't apply to the new testament. But the sin does. So the OT would/will be referenced in that regard. Because the NT outlines the same sins as the old testament. But frees us from the ritual. However communion/passover is still practiced only because Jesus passed it to the church for a defferent reason than in the old testament.

Don't even bring up Catholic rituals. The bible talks about "rituals of men" to appear holy.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
There's also the part where they say that if you break God's law by working on the Sabbath the punishment is death...DEATH!

So, don't mow your lawn on Sunday and don't have a bar-b-que because cooking is work, too. Otherwise you might be smited.
edit on 8/5/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

Actually the true Sabbath is SATURDAY...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Again Sin is sin, OT or NT. The same sins are outlawed in the NT as they are in the OT. The rest of the Mosaic law was ritual bassed and did not apply to the NT church. This is clearly stated in the NT.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join