It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians cant eat lobster, wear polyester, wear gold, eat rabbit, have tattoos, get divrced, have

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
reply to post by buster2010

The veil was torn and all men/women could come directly to God and Jesus without the need of a priest or a church. God saw that man was unable to keep the laws (JEWISH) and sent his son to pay for all past and future sins of mankind.

Once again... someone using the Old Testament as only being in reference to Jews... still don't have a verse in the Bible that states such. Hopefully quoting someone will provide me with this evidence... seems like quoting people is almost the only way to get a response to one's questions around these forums. Or to create one's own thread on the matter.

On another note... I'll speak on one thing that really caught me:

Leviticus 11:10 "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

I remember when I was a child... maybe 8 or 9 years old, my pastor was giving a sermon using this quote in reference to an upcoming fish fry that the church was hosting. What I remember from the sermon was his say:

Tuesday we havin' have this fish fry... ha.
But we better not have no catfish... ha.
Ya see... catfish is wrapped in skin... ha.
But we can't eat fish of skin... ha.
Turn to Leviticus 11:10... ha.
[Moment of silence]
You see our fish gotta have scales and fins... ha.
So we won't be committing no sins... ha.......... Deacon says "well".

I always remembered that because of that sermon, because our family always ate catfish. Every since then I thought that this was just one of those things that Christians neglected to acknowledge. Still do until someone can prove by Bible scripture that the Old Testament is/was ONLY meant for Jews.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ARRedNeck

Okay, but that goes back to the OP. Many Christians don't keep the law. And don't live by faith either. They use it as an excuse for everything. Whether from the old testament or the new testament, a lot of Christians pick and choose whatever the scriptures they put their so called faith in in order to support their lifestyle and hatred.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
reply to post by seeker1963

So why do Christians ALWAYS bring up the famous quote from Leviticus concerning homosexuality?
And I see nothing wrong with having a discussion about the views of a religious group if it effect me and others around me. If their views didn't effect people then I wouldn't talk of them.
I also know that many Churches and Christians follow new and old testament.

Please be careful to use the term "a tiny vocal minority of un-Christianlike people always quote..." instead of lumping the other 99% of us in with those whackos.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by MamaJ

Why do you need Jesus in order to live a good life? Don't you have your own moral code? Would you still follow him and all of his lessons if doing that meant you would go to hell?

Why do you need anyone? Are you afraid of being alone?

See how goofy that question was?? Lol

I need Jesus because I want him. I want his light In my heart and everyone elses. This Universe is a fun place to live.... Lots of mysteries..... Lots of questions. Jesus shines the light for me to see clearly. Thanks for asking... Lol

For me.... Im content. Im happy. Im at peace. Many are not me though.... Many are nothing like me... But they still deserve love as their journey is not mine!

If you have ever studied history, the planet, the solar system, then you may too have many questions you try and answer for yourself.

This is your jouney as much as it is mine..... Answer your own questions. Seek what you may. No harm to me.

Just because I follow jesus teaching on love does not mean you are harmed in any way....

Eta.... What does hell have anything to do with what I posted prior or above? Nothing.

You run with stuff.... Assumptions are not needed when there is clearly a dialogue in the works.
edit on 6-8-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Another angry ATHEIST on a religious bashing spree

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
News Flash: Going to church or quoting the bible, for that matter - makes you no more of a Christian than sitting in the garage makes you a Chevrolet.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kisharninmah
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The bible was not written by any God(s) or other supernatural thing. It was written by man. Period. It was written at different times by several different men, and the fictional stories within the bible had taken place several hundreds of years earlier. That's why it's choppy at some places and contradictory in others. Even the voice of the writers are clearly different It was used and still is used to control people. It's a quite clever too.

Also, let say there is a God. Why would a loving God burn any of his children forever and ever. I'm as flawed a human being as anyone. Imperfect in all my ways, yet I would not condemn my own child to a hell of torment. It's contradictory even at it's core.

To you in this dimension you lose you flesh and then begin to fear - BEYOND YOU MAY BE JUST SENT TO retry AGAIN UNTIL YOUR SOUL GETS IT. You ARE ETERNAL so learn and move on. Why challenge GOD thru me when you can PRAY as well and SEEK. Maybe all you need to do is ask for clarity and when you get it ACKNOWLEDGE IT don't shrug it off. The CASTing process YES many fear from EA*RTH and BEYOND. But what it does is unclear for many so fear is established, yet on EA*RTH they make manufactured STARZ like materials devices

So I guess what I am sending to you is SEEK more and you may find peace in your ways of living ect. YES we come from a PERFECT CREATOR but many of us have forgotten the way so we try to find it and LIGHT it for others. That's why I don't come in here bashing ANY for their religious preference or sexual preference but I do make comment that YES behaving in a homosexual way can effect a species development over all for that is TRUTH right and that YES religious people for the most part JUST WANT ANSWERS AND GUIDANCE FROM GOD(S) SENT THRU GOD(S) PEOPLE and shouldn't be talked down to or have their beliefs taken out of context to validate other activities.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

reply to post by MamaJ

Why do you need Jesus in order to live a good life? Don't you have your own moral code? Would you still follow him and all of his lessons if doing that meant you would go to hell?

I need Jesus because I want him. I want his light In my heart and everyone elses. This Universe is a fun place to live.... Lots of mysteries..... Lots of questions. Jesus shines the light for me to see clearly. Thanks for asking... Lol

For me.... Im content. Im happy. Im at peace. Many are not me though.... Many are nothing like me... But they still deserve love as their journey is not mine!

If you have ever studied history, the planet, the solar system, then you may too have many questions you try and answer for yourself.

This is your jouney as much as it is mine..... Answer your own questions. Seek what you may. No harm to me.

Just because I follow jesus teaching on love does not mean you are harmed in any way....

Eta.... What does hell have anything to do with what I posted prior or above? Nothing.

You run with stuff.... Assumptions are not needed when there is clearly a dialogue in the works.

I think the point is: Is religion needed for a a moral compass? I say no. If anything, religion has done more harm than good. If religion works well for you as a coping mechanism, then great. That is the only good that comes from it. And yes, it is coping mechanism. It makes the the world a lot less scary if we think we have someone watching over us, that we live on after death, that we will see our loved ones again... But do not force your coping mechanism on other people or use it as an excuse for hatred and bigotry.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
In the same book that silly Christians often use to condemn Homosexuals where it says a man should not lie with another man is a whole host of rules. Many of which are on the same page as the one they love to quote so much!

One is that you should not eat shellfish....... so, no lobster for you silly fundamentalist Christians, sorry.
Shellfish.
Leviticus 11:10 "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." God hated the Mods then!

It also says you should not wear two different types of cloth at the same time so silly fundamentalist Christians....... if you are cold and wearing a cotton T-shirt (and you best pray it's 100% or you go straight to hell!) you can't then pull on a woollen jumper.

Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord." So you have a tattoo of Jesus and Mary on your arm? Wow, I'm sure your god will be chuffed to bits!

And in Leviticus 11:8 where it is talking about pigs: "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you." Turns out you silly fundamentalist Christians have far more in common with silly Muslims than you like to admit.
Furthermore it actually a whole host of other meats and seems to be very much akin to Kosher laws. Its bans dozens from crocodile (which I must if you haven't tried then do so, it's tasty, although you will go to hell!) and snails (one of my favorites!) to rabbit (no rabbit pie? pft!)

People who can't come to church or worship your God:
Anybody who has any direct descendants that were born out of wedlock:
Deuteronomy 23:2 "No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
Anybody that has has surgery that removes the penis or testicles:
Deuteronomy 23:1 "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

Are you silly fundamentalist Christians committing adultery?
Mark 10:11-12, "And He said to them, 'Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.'
Mark 10:9 "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
Mark is not your friend if you have been divorced!

Things you can't wear:
Synthetic or combined materials-
Leviticus 19:19 "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
Expensive clothes, pearls, gold or even braided hair (if you are female that is, so the men, go ahead and wearing fancy pearls, braided hair and an expensive frock to church, it's ok, god doesn't mind!)-
Timothy 2:9 "Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."

Last one for now-
Deuteronomy 25:11-12. "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."
WTF? Eh?

I also saw a post recently with a quote from the Bible that clearly states you should not be anywhere near a woman that is menstruating and although I 100% with that one it is not for religious reasons!

To understand why these rules are in the bible and what to make of them in today's society please go and watch a film called 'For The Bible Tells Me So'.

I will take it that you're a homosexual. Going from there, having a non believing homosexual explaining the Bible and it's meaning is like having a trash collector attempt to understand quantum theory and operate the LHC.

Anyway, there is an Old and a New Covenant so preaching things meant for the ancient Jews as being relevant to New Covenant gentile Christians is at best misguided and erroneous. Only the moral law stands for the gentile believer, and there are 10 good ones for you to look over as well as the laws against homosexuality, sex with animals, sex with your mother or father or sister or brother.

Anyway, all sin is sin whether it is adultery or fornication, or homosexuality. The only sex that is blessed and permitted by God according to the Bible is the kind in a marriage between a man and a woman. All other sex is sin because it is against the will of God according to the Bible.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

You know what's funny? Sure, they can't do any of these things according to their religion, but no one is asking them to! Not only can't THEY be gay, they don't want anyone else to be gay, either! That's how they're operating these days... They can't take contraception, but neither can anyone else! They're actually forcing (by law) people to abide by Christian dogma, even if they don't believe in it.

I support freedom of religion, but that freedom doesn't include forcing others to behave according to their religion. I'm losing all patience with today's so-called Christians. :shk:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Originally posted by Fromabove
I will take it that you're a homosexual.

Ha! You mean you ASSUME... You think only homosexuals fight for gay rights? :shk:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

But thats the old testament and they don't adhere to that book...but uhm, the gay thing, they do...so that still stands, christians like to pick and choose what they believe. It doesnt make sense, but then again it doesnt have to because...well...god is mysterious? yea let's go with that.

I stand with people like Hitchens and Dawkins and Harris who say that if people would just read the bible we wouldnt have anymore christians, (or just a lot more Westboro Baptist Church people).

S&F!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
I will take it that you're a homosexual. Going from there, having a non believing homosexual explaining the Bible and it's meaning is like having a trash collector attempt to understand quantum theory and operate the LHC.

Anyway, there is an Old and a New Covenant so preaching things meant for the ancient Jews as being relevant to New Covenant gentile Christians is at best misguided and erroneous. Only the moral law stands for the gentile believer, and there are 10 good ones for you to look over as well as the laws against homosexuality, sex with animals, sex with your mother or father or sister or brother.

Anyway, all sin is sin whether it is adultery or fornication, or homosexuality. The only sex that is blessed and permitted by God according to the Bible is the kind in a marriage between a man and a woman. All other sex is sin because it is against the will of God according to the Bible.

And yet another post on the Old Testament being only for Jews.

I'm going to keep doing this until someone properly acknowledges me with a scripture in the Old Testament saying "This old scripture is meant for Jews only" or something of that nature. Point is... nobody has proved this and all my life I've been taught otherwise in a Baptist church. Yet so many people keep on making this statement. Sounds like more cherry picking and stating what works best for one's particular argument on a matter to me.

Someone please post a scripture or tell me at least how you have come to this conclusion. Most likely i won't believe it unless it's in the Bible anyway... otherwise it's just hearsay. Thank you anyone.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

I'd say Ford. But your right!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
One more thing...

The problem is not that Christians are intolerant, it is that they refuse to bless what they believe is sinful. Homosexuals demand that Christians accept them. It is they who are the intolerant ones. It's not enough that they choose to be homosexual, but that everyone accept and love it as they do. It is such a hypocritical biased mindset that it is self evident. I don't believe that they are at peace within themselves and that this is why they insist you accept the things they practice to do.

I am a Christian. To me homosexuality is a sin against God. It is a defiant act of rejection of anything God. This is what I believe. To ask and insist that I accept homosexuality is to ask me to hate my God as I believe you already do.

If you are homosexual and you are at peace with it, go about your life and keep your private intimacies to yourself and others like you. I don't bring my bedroom escapades into your life, so don't do it to me because I will never accept it, and as it was already said by someone here, I cannot. It is against my God and His Bible.

I know quite a few homosexuals in my community. I hate none of them. They also know I am a Christian and what I believe, and that I do not treat them any different than I do heterosexuals. They don't cast their sex life at me, and I don't preach at them. Yet if they ask of me I will tell them the truth as I know it to be. It's as simple as that.

But it really gets tiring to see homosexuals complain about the hate and bigotry when that is all they have to show for themselves.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kisharninmah

Originally posted by MamaJ

reply to post by MamaJ

I think the point is: Is religion needed for a a moral compass? I say no. If anything, religion has done more harm than good. If religion works well for you as a coping mechanism, then great. That is the only good that comes from it. And yes, it is coping mechanism. It makes the the world a lot less scary if we think we have someone watching over us, that we live on after death, that we will see our loved ones again... But do not force your coping mechanism on other people or use it as an excuse for hatred and bigotry.

No, frankly you and the other poster MISSED MY POINT. But, thats ok... Not going to get my panties all in a bunch and freak out.

I never said anything about religion. I EVEN SAID IM NOT A CHRISTIAN..... But again... Missing points and running with assumptions is just what it is. I cant change it, cant hold your hand and tell you what to perceive when reading my words.

I dont force anything, havent implied that im forcing anything.... But hey.. Run with the assumption and go tell a friend.

My point I was making..... Oh yeah, I remember... I already made it.

You and the other poster make my point that much clearer and there is truth to it.... Its proven in this thread. So full of hate, its disgusting.

No matter what religion or non religion... The teachings of Jesus would sure benefit within this thread and the entire world.

LOVE is the message, yet running with assumptions and lies causes war.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

There is a reason they call it the " New Covenant."

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

The Bible is almost entirely hearsay anyway. Second and third person accounts, and all that. Someone who wrote a record, and someone else copied it (although not perfectly) then only a few pages survive to a time when experts will examine it, salvage what they can, and mistranslate it into something that is then rewritten in order to fit other version before being distributed throughout the world, where the mistranslation of an incomplete biased account will be interpreted two dozen different ways within the first 30 years of indoctrination. But of course, every single person is following the pure, unadulterated word of God, even though they all do different things and sing different songs and believe in different rules.

How can something that is so definite have so many variations and shades of gray? It's all convenience. Pure convenience. Ever since we became a material society, we have fought to make life easier so we can sit around sipping pina coladas and waiting for that timer to go "ding!" so we can turn over and sun our backs. And when it comes to religion, anything that can be bought for a $1.99 at the local sermon sounds like just the right price for "eternal salvation". And because we want to please the people, we're going to tone down on the fire and brimstone for this modern age and only expound on a small percentage of the actual rules in the Bible, making it sound like "Oh, this was meant for someone else all along, but we still followed it up until about 60 or so years ago." Along with this, we're just going to make it sound so entirely easy, but just to make sure we get the job done, we're going to teach kids from Sunday school on up that if they don't believe, they're automatically going to hell. Because that's what we teach kids, right? If you touch that cookie, you get a spanking. And yet I personally am told: "It's a mature, adult decision." Yeah? And those kids in Sunday school are mature, adult thinkers...okay. Seems perfectly legit.

Thing is, we're just so damned scared of our own shadows, not to mention the big bad world that on one hand, can blow a country to dust in under 20 minutes, and on the other hand, can level entire regions with a great wave of water (volcanoes, earthquakes, storms, etc.) and we just feel so completely helpless, we need a fail safe. We need something that's cheap, easy to believe in, and requires nothing but that which is the simplest part of human nature: hope.

See, I am of the belief that if you need Jesus in your life to have a GOOD life, then you aren't really good at all. You're doing it so you go to heaven, or doing it to impress this guy, or doing it to show love for this guy. That's pathetic. You have a living, breathing, conscious child and bother or sister, parent and best friends, sitting right next to you, and only Jesus will suffice to motivate your life? Pitiful. Look around at the world you just happened to find yourself in, at all the people you love and care about, and tell me: do you NEED Jesus to motivate you to live a good life? What about the world that supports you, the family that cares about you, and the future generations you will be responsible for teaching?

I don't need Jesus. I don't want Jesus. Real or not, the guy was admirable, but he was centuries ago and this is now. He isn't here to take me by the hand, and I don't want to delude myself into thinking he is. If you need a teddy bear or a security blanket, go back to kindergarten, because we need ADULTS in this world. People capable of looking at a problem and preparing to take it head on. We're the most capable species on this world...if we don't save it, who will?

You are all big kids now. Act like it. Love one another, and love this world. Why? Because it's all you have.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Too many extreme right wing borderline fascists are trying to use the bible and the idea of being a Christian to push and reinforce their fascist ways. These people have turned me away from two groups of people. Real republicans, and real Christians.

I think it's time we start calling these people what they are. Fascists, with a singular viewpoint, unwilling to let any other viewpoint exist.

These people will not be taking the country, nor the word of God, and manipulating it for evil purposes. Not on my watch.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I believe we were given three different sets of directions in the OT. We were given moral laws such as the the Ten Commandments, we were given health/societal rules (such as the dietary restrictions), and we were given procedures to follow when these laws/rules were broken.

Jesus/Yeshua did not eliminate the first two sets of directions, he merely replaced the procedure(s) required for forgiveness. The health and societal rules were set in place to guide the evolution of humanity.

Whether or not we deem to follow the health/societal rules is a personal choice, just as it is with the moral laws... They are, and have always been, of less importance than the moral laws. Which is why Yeshua rebuked the pharisees. They were diligent about following the health and societal rules but were morally bankrupt.

God first and foremost cares about what is in out hearts... not whether on not we eat bacon...
To say, however, that the health/societal rules were abolished by Yeshua is a misconstrual of several passages from the NT.
edit on 6-8-2012 by cepheusdraco because: spelling/grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join