It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice for purchasing a LCD TV for a couple who are completely ignorant on the subject?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We are still using our 20 year + old CRT Sony here but the wife wants a new set for her basement yoga studio.
Here is what we figure we should be looking for in a set, but please correct us or add to this short list.
LCD
1080p
HDMI inputs
Adaptable

That is about it, we were thinking around 40" or so.
Kind of leaning towards a Sony or a Samsung.

We sure would appreciate any advice or comments, good or bad we would love to hear them.

We have not bought any electronics in the past 20 years (excluding computers) so you can imagine our problems trying to re-search the new sets but not knowing what all the lingo means.

This set will be used with a DVD player and possible some kind of sound system later on.

Regards, Iwinder & YogaGins

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I am a few years behind the curve, so what I mention may be standard now. I would make the following edits.

LCD OR plasma (I like plasma a lot myself, great image quality).

At least 120 Hz refresh rate (this should be a requirement, may be the default in the market today).

Sony and Samsung are both good choices.
edit on 8/5/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Get a 1080p LED Samsung.. You will thank me later..

Link.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sounds like you have covered the important things.

You may not need a 1080p if you are not planning on connecting a Blu Ray player. I think 720p is fine for HD tv, like through cable or satellite.

1080p will cost you a lot more than a 720p and to be honest, i doubt you, i, or anyone else could really tell without being told.

40" is a good size.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Get something that has lots of HDMI ports.

Other than that most of the bugs have been worked out by this generation of TVs, whatever you decide on should be fine.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Yeah, if price is no object get an LED TV.
LCD's are alright as well.
Don't get plasma, they have amazing picture yes, but they die quicker and the possibility of image burn on the screen is higher then with an lcd/led.

Samsung makes a good TV. I've had my 32" Samsung lcd for.. 5 years now? about that. Still works perfect. No broken pixels either (and i've moved 3 times since then)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

You want 1080p. More future proof (get you a few years further before it feels obsoleted). If you use the TV with other devices (blu-ray players, game consoles), you will have the better experience over 720p.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I think burn-in is a thing of the past at this point, but perhaps still a possibility in a room like that where it could be left on and forgot about for a long time.

I do agree, LED is a great (the best) option if you can afford it. You won't regret any of these options though (LCD or plasma or LED). Forgot about LED.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Go to Best Buy and get the Samsung spin-off Insignia, it's cheaper and the warranty is great, quality is basically the same. The only reason Samsung is more expensive is because they have to pay for commercials.

And really the specs on most tv's now-a-days are good enough really don't matter unless you have a really big TV, if you're getting 40 or smaller it doesn't matter.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
I am a few years behind the curve, so what I mention may be standard now. I would make the following edits.

LCD OR plasma (I like plasma a lot myself, great image quality).

At least 120 Hz refresh rate (this should be a requirement, may be the default in the market today).

Sony and Samsung are both good choices.

Thanks for that input, now I have refresh rate on my list of things to look for.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Panasonic yet. By far the best TV's. 1080p is a must and the next thing to look for is the contrast ratio - the higher the better and you want 100hz screen refresh. I am a broadcat engineer so I do know a thing or two about TV's. If you want 40" I would recommend this one

www.comet.co.uk...

Of course I am from the UK so if your not the tuners will vary and I realise it is expensive but it will be worth it. By far the best picture.

Bearing in mind that the human eye has a refresh rate equivelant to 77hz, going past 100hz rscreen refresh rate is pretty much a waste of time and is only designed to be a figure for selling points.
edit on 5-8-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Get a 1080p LED Samsung.. You will thank me later..

Link.

Great link and we will read it through all the way when time permits.

I see more than one person here has stated that Samsung is a good choice. At least we that part right :-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
No matter what anyone here says, your best option is to bring someone along who IS up-to-speed with technology, pricing, and it doesn't hurt if they know how to haggle.

Perhaps a relative, neighbor, or someone from work?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

You may not need a 1080p if you are not planning on connecting a Blu Ray player. I think 720p is fine for HD tv, like through cable or satellite.

1080p will cost you a lot more than a 720p and to be honest, i doubt you, i, or anyone else could really tell without being told.

40" is a good size.

Good points and ingested here, we will see what the difference looks like once we actually set foot in a store to buy one.

Thanks,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Get something that has lots of HDMI ports.

Other than that most of the bugs have been worked out by this generation of TVs, whatever you decide on should be fine.

Helpful information and we thank you for taking the time to post it for us.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

40" is a good size.

If he's connecting it to Sky or Virgin media they both use 1080i so yes he will need a 1080p TV.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Yeah, if price is no object get an LED TV.
LCD's are alright as well.
Don't get plasma, they have amazing picture yes, but they die quicker and the possibility of image burn on the screen is higher then with an lcd/led.

Samsung makes a good TV. I've had my 32" Samsung lcd for.. 5 years now? about that. Still works perfect. No broken pixels either (and i've moved 3 times since then)

Are they prone to easy damage if you move them????? That never occured to us here?
Thanks and Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
reply to post by AmberLeaf

You want 1080p. More future proof (get you a few years further before it feels obsoleted). If you use the TV with other devices (blu-ray players, game consoles), you will have the better experience over 720p.

Good point and I hate it when stuff becomes obsolete but yet still works fine.
Regards, Iwinder

link   
reply to post by Iwinder

LED TVs are more rhobust than LCD and Plasma, and they consume less power too.

link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Let me get this straight.

You allowed the Mrs. to convert the potential man-cave into a Yoga studio?

I hope you still have the garage at least.

All kidding aside, I have to agree with the cheaper brands of LED Insignia or Vizio. I have a couple and they have gave me no problems.

And to top it off, I saved hundreds by using these brands over the Big name ones.
edit on 5-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join