It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News Joins Obama- Bans American Flag Lapel Pins!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

They were asked not to wear pins in the spirit of journalistic integrity.

I do not know if there is some "alternative motive", but the reasoning behind it is enough to satisfy any curiosity I might have had.
edit on 5-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I said this,

The heart of the matter is they don't want sovereignty for The Us or It's people. They want a One World Government and The American People are in the way. I know they have symbols and icons of their Structure of Government ( I use the term loosely ).. First it's the pledge. Then it's symbols in the courts and Govt. Buildings. Then it's God .. Now it's The American Flag. Next it will be best to not mention your heritage to these whores who are bought and paid for. Stand for something or fall for anything. PS I forgot to throw the trashing of The Constitution. Let's not mention any commitment to that by all means..

Does my statement above sound like I'm talking about ABC news? "They" I think my post is clear on who "They" are.

First it's the pledge. Then it's symbols in the courts and Govt. Buildings. Then it's God .. Now it's The American Flag. Next it will be best to not mention your heritage to these whores who are bought and paid for. Stand for something or fall for anything. PS I forgot to throw the trashing of The Constitution. Let's not mention any commitment to that by all means..

My point is clear. Those behind the N.W.O. and the paying off our officials is to destroy America. It's being done from the inside out.

Can we move on now?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Indeed... Journalistic Integrity. After all, ABC is just the pillar of virtue for standing without bias or any conflicts for the stories they cover. Never have...

ABC News will host an hour-long special on health care reform in the U.S. next Wednesday from the White House East Room -- a move that ABC is defending but critics are calling a surrender to the Obama administration's effort to control the debate.

The prime time special -- called "Questions for the President: Prescription for America" by ABC News -- will be a nationally televised event during which President Obama will answer questions presented by audience members selected by ABC News.
Source

It's not like they've never blurred the lines so bad, even the public couldn't see them anymore.
Why the pin? Hmm...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Does my statement above sound like I'm talking about ABC news? "They" I think my post is clear on who "They" are.

It wasn't, that's why I asked.

Can we move on now?

No.

Those behind the N.W.O. and the paying off our officials is to destroy America.

Who are 'those' behind the 'N.W.O.'? Are they reptilians?

Are you going to address your assertion that this news of flag pin 'banning' is unconstitutional?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not like they've never blurred the lines so bad, even the public couldn't see them anymore. Why the pin? Hmm...

I am not ABC, I do not watch ABC and I am not specifically defending ABC. I was just relaying the reasoning behind the request so as to clear up any confusion.

I do know, that if I was running a news organization, then I would make it company policy for my reporters to present themselves as unbiased as possible.

As such I can agree with the reasoning behind this issue.

I would like to emphasize that they are not banned from wearing the pins and there is no company policy against it. They were just asked not to do so.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Your obviously trying your best to derail the thread. I won't be answering anymore of your questions after this one because now your starting to lie.

I NEVER SAID IT WAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL !!
edit on 5-8-2012 by CherubBaby because: added txt

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
So what? These are privately owned companies and they can do whatever they want.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I'm merely asking you to clarify some vague statements you've made in your own thread. You somehow connected a news organization asking employees to not wear American flag pins (presumably because Americans are too stupid to realize the wearing of one isn't an endorsement for a certain political party) to some non existent entity you fear i attempting to control the world. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Fair enough and I hope it didn't seem personal in any way? I debate ideas, not people...and you brought the idea up specifically. That reasoning by ABC blows me away because this is about the first time that network has seemed to use that excuse with a straight face for much of anything. None of them are unbiased..but some are certainly more pronounced than others.. lol

Now the whole thing is silly, and for anyone who has said that I DO agree. So who at ABC and who at the White House made a silly thing something so widely known and commented on that we're here tossing thoughts back and forth at ATS about it? I think that is the point above all.

If it weren't about making statements, they wouldn't have made a statement about it. (To paraphrase a good movie)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I agree the whole thing is silly. I think what's most concerning is that this is probably a response to the general dumbassery of the American public who just may think the wearing of a flag is an endorsement of the republican party.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I agree the whole thing is silly. I think what's most concerning is that this is probably a response to the general dumbassery of the American public who just may think the wearing of a flag is an endorsement of the republican party.

You know, that really is the Elephant in the room no one is talking about.

(I really hadn't thought about the pun until I was writing it.. honestly.. )

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

(I really hadn't thought about the pun until I was writing it.. honestly.. )

I wouldn't have had that one click for an hour. Nice. Nice.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

I have to say I'm a bit confused here. These are some of the top news agency's in the world.

News Agencies, AP, Reuters, AFP, America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Oceania. ... United Press International (UPI) · U.S. Newswire. Canada Canadian Press ...

What I don't understand is this. If your a french reporter and your reporting news . what is wrong with displaying the symbol of your country? The American Flag is not a symbol of political affiliation. So why make it an issue? The heart of the matter is they don't want sovereignty for The Us or It's people. They want a One World Government and The American People are in the way. I know they have symbols and icons of their Structure of Government ( I use the term loosely )..

First it's the pledge. Then it's symbols in the courts and Govt. Buildings. Then it's God .. Now it's The American Flag. Next it will be best to not mention your heritage to these whores who are bought and paid for.

Stand for something or fall for anything.

PS I forgot to throw the trashing of The Constitution. Let's not mention any commitment to that by all means..

It depends on whether you want the news as truth, or the news as soothing stories that make you feel good about your nation regardless of actual reality.

Patriotism has no place in the news room. If it does its not news, its propaganda.

I hasten to add that the absence of overt patriotic symbols does not infer the presence of truth.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Fair enough and I hope it didn't seem personal in any way?

It didn't seem personal, and I do believe you when you were saying that "you discuss the idea". I have seen enough of your posts to know that you rarely, if ever, get truly personal.

That reasoning by ABC blows me away because this is about the first time that network has seemed to use that excuse with a straight face for much of anything. None of them are unbiased..but some are certainly more pronounced than others.. lol

Reporters should always make an effort to be completely unbiased. If a bias seeps through sometime, then that is understandable, we are all human.

However it should not be encouraged and it should not happen on purpose.

We have pundits for this.

Now the whole thing is silly, and for anyone who has said that I DO agree. So who at ABC and who at the White House made a silly thing something so widely known and commented on that we're here tossing thoughts back and forth at ATS about it? I think that is the point above all.

It has apparently been a practice of various news organizations for many years. For some reason the attacks on 9-11 brought the practice into "awareness".

I do not know about the issue regarding the white house.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
They are asked not to wear pins of any kind because they are reporting the news, not taking sides.

They are not banned from doing so.

www.snopes.com...

Per my departments policy I cannot wear any unauthorized pins / insignias on my uniform, including the American flag. Its not that my department is unpatriotic / does not care but simply a matter of looking uniform.

I don't need to see the President of the United States wearing a US flag lapel pin to know he is the US President nor do I need to wear a US flag pin on my uniform to let people know I am a US police officer.

With that being said I think the preventing of wearing a flag pin is moronic and stupid both for the media as well as my department but not for the reasons people are bringing up in here. Media, as well as law enforcement, have people employed with differing backgrounds. If you are to allow one reporter to wear a US flag pin then you need to allow the other reporter to wear their Italian flag pin since thei heritage is from that country or the Russian flag because many generations ago the reporters parents emmigrated from Russia to the US. Then you get the issue of "why are you allowing them to wear a US flag and not allowing me to wear the italian flag....russian flag....etc etc etc. Then the story becomes one of those "the media must hate certain countries by allowing one pin to be worn but not another pin by another reporter".

We have more important things to work on and come together on than a stupid lapel pin and the dress code of a media outlet.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: edited for spelling...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

If you are to allow one reporter to wear a US flag pin then you need to allow the other reporter to wear their Italian flag pin since thei heritage is from that country or the Russian flag because many generations ago the reporters parents emmigrated from Russia to the US.

That's quite a good point.

I don't really know why I got all bitchy in this thread, I think it's not being able to sleep and the clock reading almost 4 AM.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Smiling. I will try again. You said,

It depends on whether you want the news as truth, or the news as soothing stories that make you feel good about your nation regardless of actual reality.

I never said nor do I say now that I want soothing stories period. I don't need a news reporter or his/her story to make me feel good about "My Nation" You then said,,

Patriotism has no place in the news room. If it does its not news, its propaganda.

I think that is totally dependent on the story being reported. Not every news story is about America. ( Not yet )

Lastly, you said,,

I hasten to add that the absence of overt patriotic symbols does not infer the presence of truth.

Well I say if it's truth why do patriotic symbols matter? I will hasten to add the absence of Patriotic symbols is not really feeding the spirit of truth anyway. The news lies as much to us, if not more , than it tells the truth.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I believe that reporters should try to be completely unbiased in every way. If being un-biased is the reason behind the request to not wear pins, then I agree.

That is all I can really say(well repeat, i guess) in response to your post.

On a side note, I found it interesting that police cannot wear pins as well. I did not know or expect that.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It's not cool to be proud of your country anymore.

It's "chic" to be neutral.

This is my thought on being "neutral".

"In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."
-Edward Burke.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
That's quite a good point.

I don't really know why I got all bitchy in this thread, I think it's not being able to sleep and the clock reading almost 4 AM.

Because its one of those non issues that has become an issue simply because Political Correctness was used instead of common sense. A flag pin on a person has absolutely nothing to do with what they are reporting on and if anything good that can come from people wearing differing flags is to reinforce the fact the United States was founded on immigration.

Because of that, the ability for people from all backgrounds / walks of life to come to this country, we have the unique ability to face the world with an understanding that other countries are lacking (not through any fault of their own).

If a US reporter is wearing a flag from the Russian Federation because that is where her heritage started from does not mean she is unamerican or non patriotic. What it tells me is she is an American with knowledge of her family history which in my opinion leads to better reporting. It allows the reporter to add a certain depth to a report that mayt only exist because of her background. The better we can understand ourselves, the better off we are when dealing with other countries.

Anyone can report the news... However when you get one of those reporters who has a vested interest in what is being reported, it tends to open our eyes while allowing us a better understanding of the situation through their education on the topic itself.

NSFW - Language
This entire thing reminds me of Eddie Izzard = Flags

www.youtube.com...

Like I said it has nothing to do with patriotism but uniform appearence. Law Enforcement is suppose to be non political while doing our jobs and as we can see from this thread there are people out there who think wearing a pin somehow changes the person / their view points / political ideologies etc etc etc.

Secondly as much as I respect other peoples viewpoint and what they choose to beleive, I for one would not really care to work a call with another officer who is wearing the Swastika. Granted its an ancient symbol that was meant for good luck going back thousands of years before Hitler ursurped it and made it their own. How many people are going to know that though and how many will stick with its a Nazi symbol so this person must be a Nazi?

Like I said I get why the policies are in place... I just dont agree with them because its a blanket policy. All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everyone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join