It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Papa loved mama Paraphrased

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
So I'm going to try something new for ATS. I call it paraphrasing a song. The basic idea is to rewrite a song's lyric as it would be a short story. I call it paraphrasing. The first song I'm doing this is "Papa Loved Mama", by Garth Brooks. Here's the video for the song:

Yes, this is A song that I like, and yes I do like some country music, but not a lot of it. So here's my paraphrase of it:

Papa drove a truck. He’d been driving a truck since he was fifteen, and when he was fifteen he’d used these wooden blocks to reach the pedals. He loved trucks, but the only thing he loved more than trucks was mama.

Mama really loved papa, but there was one thing she couldn’t handle, and that was the fact that she was left alone with me while papa drove his truck. She just hated being alone because she needed somebody to hold her. She’d wait for him to call then she’d go out bar hopping, and she’d bring back some company that was just for her. Papa never knew.

Mama was a very good looking woman. She’d be brighter than the sun. She shined so much she could cause a forty car pile up, papa was a good man, but he was the jealous kind and that’s why she kept it silent. But it was just not to be. For you see, mama’s been buried, and my papa’s been sent down the river.

So I guess it was bound to happen, and one night it did. It was just me and my brother when he came home that night. I heard him calling out for mama up and down the hall. I heard a bottle break against the bedroom wall. He stormed out and got into his truck. That old diesel engine sounded like the cries of ole Satan himself.

I never heard from papa. It was just me and my brother for a few days, and nobody told us what happened. I saw the picture in the paper and that told us everything. He run that diesel of his through the motel wall and the entire wall had buried it in rubble. According to the paper the desk clerk said in the interview saw it all real clear. I imagined papa putting the pedal all the way down to the floor to run that thing into mama. I knew from seeing that picture in the paper that mama would just never be with us any more.

Mama was a very good looking woman. She’d be brighter than the sun. She shined so much she could cause a forty car pile up, papa was a good man, but he was the jealous kind and that’s why she kept it silent. But it was just not to be. For you see, mama’s been buried, and my papa’s been sent down the river.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I have no idea what you're trying to do.

What is this?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Rewriting a song so that it is told in a kind of story format.

join