It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about remotely disabling a vehicle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hi, guys. I don't frequent this forum (Automotive), mainly because I'd just demonstrate how ignorant I am.

But a buddy of mine was telling me about a buddy of his that buys, fixes, and sells cars. He does the decent thing and sells them on time-payments to people who couldn't otherwise buy a car--which, of course, means that he ends up with a lot of customers who can't or won't pay.

So my buddy suggested that he needs a way to disable the vehicle until the deadbeat pays up, or so that he can put it out of commission until he can go and collect it.

He's not a rich man--just an ordinary guy. So it has to be a system that's reasonably priced; but something that can't be easily discovered and disabled by the customer.

Does such a thing exist?

Thank you in advance for your responses. It's past my bedtime here (San Francisco area), so I'll check back tomorrow morning....
edit on 8/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The best car disabling device is called cash on pickup.

He creates his own problems by trying to help. Not encouraging people to save up first actually creates the problem in the first place. One of the wealthiest ordinary people I know fixes cars for cash only... and his customers are happy as well. If they can't pay, the vehicle stays where it is.

Helping people who can't pay and then moaning they don't pay is plain stupidity on the part of your friend.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Check out this disable car starter package I found.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Trying to copy from Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae?

He'll never make money that way.
Well, not unless he gets a Gov't contract.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Since it is an aftermarket part, it needs to be disclosed to the customers that such a response may be used in the event of non-payment.

As long as the buyers know, it's not a bad idea.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
There can be some serious liability issues with disabling a vehicle on someone. How about a GPS based locating device instead and he can just go and get it? Lots of cheap solutions for that.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
There can be some serious liability issues with disabling a vehicle on someone. How about a GPS based locating device instead and he can just go and get it? Lots of cheap solutions for that.

Best reply to this thread.

Or,better yet he can just not fix up junk cars and sell them to people....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
There are several devices in use for the exact reason you stated, namely if they don't pay it prevents the owner from moving or hiding the vehicle. I'm not sure of the exact set up but most have an antenna which is usually hanging from the rear view mirror, possibly to help locate it via GPS as well as send the signal to disable the vehicle.
Another version includes a remote control keypad, when a payment is made the buyer must key in a code which changes weekly/ monthly depending on the contract terms.
Not sure who makes or sells them but a google search should come up with a decent list for starters.
Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As others have noted, a straight kill can be a big problem. When I was trucking, some Satellite communication systems carried a remote kill option for dispatchers, but I'll tell you that was a complex system. They put quite a bit into it so that command couldn't come and activate as the truck is going over the Grapevine or Vail Pass.

Killing the car at the wrong moment could get someone killed.

A better idea on the cheap would be what I know some guys with horse trailers do. Either pick up cheap smart phone/kids phone with GPS tracking and the cheapest plan. Hide it like a Lo-Jack. ..Or Best buy sold a VERY small and very effective child tracking device no larger than a big key chain. I don't know what happened to it, but there ought to be others like it.

I'm assuming it's saving money here or he could pull it into any well equipped Stereo install store/Car electronics store and have one installed with all the stuff built in for the purpose?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure how he has it set up but I'm a mechanic and one of my first jobs was at a used car sales lot . The owner did the same as your friend he had in house financing and would finance anyone at anywhere from 10% to 24% interest for used vehicles depending on your credit rating . The ownership of the was in the buyers name and the owners name till the car was paid in full . When a customer defaulted on payments we went and picked up the vehicle with the tow truck and if they didn't pay within the month it was resold , which was in the contract .

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Notes to self:

- Point out to buddy's buddy that he's and idiot for not requring cash in-full.
- Remind him that there are legal and liability issues.
- Rub his face in the fact that he will never get rich, and will only get taken advantage of by trying to help out his fellow men.

Just kidding--mostly. Thank you one and all for your helpful and thought-provoking answers--and particularly to TheLieWeLive for hitting upon what appears to be the perfect answer.

And holy cow, Wrabbit! He and his customers are in Clearlake, CA. Mountainous as hell, with steep little two-lane roads all over the place. I'd completely forgotten about that!

Thanks again....

new topics

top topics

join