It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Video from the Surface of Another Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

it will be providing "true color" imagery

Well that's worth a cheer , hopefully these are the colors the sundial will show when its on Mars this time .

Its just a shame they didn't put a microphone on it , I know there's not much to hear but hey I would like to hear that not much even so , I think there will be jangly noises like this from the original Star Trek

Fingers crossed for a successful landing .

edit on 5-8-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Sound would actually have been a nice feature.
The atmospheric ambiance of the Martian winds, or the rover's wheels crunching along would certainly be better than all the obnoxious music people are going to start adding to these videos along with circles around 'interesting' looking bits along with all the predictable text.

ugh.

I suggest we petition NASA to stick some microphones out in the Mojave for some good stock wind, and layer it with appropriate rover sound effects before release to the public.

Then again, you never know, there could be aliens on Mars that are sound-based life and that's why we never see them because, um, erm, they are made up of sound?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
...So it takes some 48 hours for images to make it to Earth?

I think it has to do with bandwidth. The speed-of-light delay between Mars and earth is about 13 1/2 minutes, but that is NOT the reason why it sometimes takes long to get videos and pictures. It has more to do with bandwidth and the stems they use to relay the information.

Images do bot get sent directly from the Rover to earth. Images are first sent to an orbiting satellite (the primary satellites are the Mars Odyssey and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, and the secondary is ESA's Mars Express). These satellites are used as a relay point, receiving the information from Curiosity, then transmitting that information to Earth.

There could be several reasons why that information from Curiosity does go to earth immediately. First, there needs to be a line of sight between Curiosity and the orbiter. If the Orbiters are over the horizon from Curiosity's location, then Curiosity would need to hold the images and video in its own memory until one of the satellites is in position to receive information. Then that satellite itself needs to be in a position to relay the information back to Earth.

For the landing procedure, NASA took the time to move a satellite (the Mars Odyssey) in the right orbit to be able to transit landing telemetry data back to earth in real time (well, with the 13 minute speed of light delay), but that won't always be the case. Sometimes it may take hours between Curiosity acquiring data, and that data being sent to earth.

And then there's bandwidth. The amount of bits per second being received by the earth is not enough to stream "live-as-it-happens" video. They would need to download the video first before it can be viewed. It may take a few hours to download a few minutes of video, due to bandwidth. Even photos are received slowly -- just think how long it would take to get a video that requires six images for every second of video. I can tell you that the bandwidth does not allow for the download of six images every second of real time.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

So it takes some 48 hours for images to make it to Earth?

Actually the delay is done for our benefit, by our I mean the illustrious membership of ATS. There was a specific NASA memo went out about it, did you not see it?

Basically it said, due to a lack of any decent topics of interest of the forum boards, it has been decided by NASA that we will delay the release of all Martian photographs and video for 48 hours, this will allow the endangered species of "conspiracy theorist" to claim that the photos, videos have been altered, manipulated or defaced and ensuring that said "conspiracy theorist" will have found fulfilment and continue to live a product life content in knowledge that the world is against them and everyone is lying. Failure to do so could ensue a mass migration from the ATS boards to other topical forum boards and completely destroy the fabric of reality.

On a serious note, do you really expect them to release it before checking it?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Actually, I bet a really good computer modeler could take the atmospheric data and generate a sound file that approximates what one could "hear" on Mars. It would probably be a bit creepy.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ahhhhhh!!!!
The SUSPENSE is driving me crazy.

Gah, I don't want this to be yet another victim of the Mars curse. I was so excited about the Phobos probe from Russia too.

Grrr. I need to lay offa the coffee.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The mastcam will provide HD (1280 x 720) video at 6 fps. Not spectacular but that's a lot of imagery.
Probably more interesting to most people is the fact that it will be providing "true color" imagery, not greyscaled images through different filters which need to be diddled with to produce a color image.

edit on 8/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Cool, thanks for the info. Very surprised that the last rovers didn't take color shots. :-/ I can't imagine why not. I have a hard time believing it's bandwidth related (have two cameras, use the color one sparingly). Couldn't get a better 2nd camera in the payload?
edit on 8/5/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

cant wait!

this rover is going to be a big deal i hope.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
...So it takes some 48 hours for images to make it to Earth?

To confirm and add a little clarity to what I said before, the plan is to have images (albeit very small and low-res images) from the front and rear hazcam perhaps two hours after landing. Two hours is probably the earliest an image may arrive here on Earth.

The reason why it may take two hours is because what I said before about the relay satellites in Mars' orbit; the mars Odyssey orbiter (which will be over the landing site during landing) won't be over that site again until two hours after landing. The picture is being planned to be taken four minutes after touchdown, but the Mars Odyssey may be out of range (over the horizon) four minutes after landing, and probably would not be able to receive the image in order to relay the image to Earth.

Two hours later, however, the Mars Odyssey orbiter would again be in position to receive data from Curiosity.

One thing that may throw a wrench into everything is that Mars Odyssey (which is eleven years old) has had some old-age problems, and may not be in the right position at the right time. If the old-age problems that are causing some problems with the Odyssey orbiter finally catches up to them, then they need to rely on back-up systems (like the Mars Reconnaissance orbiter or the Mars Express orbiter), the landing information could take several hours to get back to Earth.

edit on 8/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
To add to my post above, here is a quick video that describes the communication of Curiosity back to earth at landing:
Phoning Home - Communicating from Mars

edit on 8/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join