It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzee 'asks' zoo visitors to free him

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

LINK TO ARTICLE

Alex Bailey from Manchester, who recorded the interaction at the Welsh Mountain Zoo, interprets the signs as a direction to free the chimp, The Telegraph reported. One chuckling man taps on the window and copies the chimp's actions, mimicking the animal's mimes of opening the window. A bystander can be heard giggling and saying: 'He wants us to open it'. But the chimpanzee is more focused on trying to make itself understood, as it longingly looks at the people in front of him. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
< br />
This is a sad indictment of how humans treat other sentient creatures on this planet. Here we have what seems to be a cry for help that is basically laughed off by the Neanderthals on the other side of the glass namely the morons taking the video. I can assure you if i had been there this would have gone directly to animal rescue or the rspca. I dont understand why you would want to cage animals in such a way. Makes me wanna go all 12 monkeys on these zoo's.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

That is freakin amazing! Thank you for sharing!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
How tragic......poor little bugger

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Poor fella.

I use to love zoos but these days I really think we should just do away with them, Sea world and all that stuff too. Problem is for the most part all the animals in the zoos could never make it in the wild (I assume?) so we would have to let the ones in captivity now live out their lives behind bars and not reproduce. It would be sad really watching the numbers dwindle over the years but in the long run it would be for the best.
edit on 4-8-2012 by bigern because: grammar

+33 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
the chimp is clearly pointing at the orange berries on the floor.

he's hungry and motioning for food.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I sort of agree with getting rid of zoos. I think that if they come across an animal that is injured and won't make it out in the wild put them there where they can be take care of. That would be the only reason i could see for putting them in a place like that.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kocag

I agree with you. Animals that would otherwise not survive or go extinct sure, healthy animals no. I really is depressing.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the chimp is clearly pointing at the orange berries on the floor.

he's hungry and motioning for food.

It doesn’t really matter what he is pointing at, or why...

What i find sad and disturbing is that we can take a magnificent and sentient lifeform and turn it into a freak show for our own pleasure and entertainment.

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Idiot guy couldn't see the chimp was trying to say something.
He looked so sad and serious. I wonder what he meant when he pointed to the palm of his hand.

It is past time for humans to grow up and let these creatures live the way they want to in their own native lands.
Caging them up for people to gawk at is cruel.
Why exactly do we need zoos?
Is there something about them that adds vital information to anyone's education?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

He's using British sign language " please, biscuit" and pointing to the cookie close to the cage... Dumb tourist can't communicate with him.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

LINK TO ARTICLE

Alex Bailey from Manchester, who recorded the interaction at the Welsh Mountain Zoo, interprets the signs as a direction to free the chimp, The Telegraph reported. One chuckling man taps on the window and copies the chimp's actions, mimicking the animal's mimes of opening the window. A bystander can be heard giggling and saying: 'He wants us to open it'. But the chimpanzee is more focused on trying to make itself understood, as it longingly looks at the people in front of him. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
< br />
This is a sad indictment of how humans treat other sentient creatures on this planet. Here we have what seems to be a cry for help that is basically laughed off by the Neanderthals on the other side of the glass namely the morons taking the video. I can assure you if i had been there this would have gone directly to animal rescue or the rspca. I dont understand why you would want to cage animals in such a way. Makes me wanna go all 12 monkeys on these zoo's.

i agree it is sad that we do this to animals , but what exactly were the people to do? They were visiting a zoo, they would have gotten into some trouble had they opened the window. These people that took this video are just visitors they didnt put the monkey in there.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrisGris

He's using British sign language " please, biscuit" and pointing to the cookie close to the cage... Dumb tourist can't communicate with him.

Shhh!

You're going to ruin everyone's fantasy!

Let us live the lie!!

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I guess I'm the odd ball. If living the horrible and brutal existence of having his meals made and served 3 times daily with a whole team to descend if he so much as gets a little cut from jumping around, I'm thinking he can take one for the team.

Seriously, life isn't THAT bad and nothing is out to eat him there. In exchange, letting people get to know more about them directly helps save the ones in the wild. Aren't most of these species at least 'threatened', in the wild? Education must help...and that's his way of paying his keep.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Why are they dumb? Because they dont know sign laguage?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kocag
I sort of agree with getting rid of zoos. I think that if they come across an animal that is injured and won't make it out in the wild put them there where they can be take care of. That would be the only reason i could see for putting them in a place like that.

I agree, and also with animals on the verge of extinction too.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess I'm the odd ball. If living the horrible and brutal existence of having his meals made and served 3 times daily with a whole team to descend if he so much as gets a little cut from jumping around, I'm thinking he can take one for the team.

Seriously, life isn't THAT bad and nothing is out to eat him there. In exchange, letting people get to know more about them directly helps save the ones in the wild. Aren't most of these species at least 'threatened', in the wild? Education must help...and that's his way of paying his keep.

I hope you are joking..

I find it ironic that the same people that cry for freedom from the oppression of totalitarian governments and institutions would in the same breath support the imprisonment of a sentient being. If these chimps walked in off the jungle and volunteered to be put in the zoo that would be a different issue.

I would like to see you spend 20 years of your life in the same enclosure with no hope of EVER leaving. no holidays, no breaks, nothing different. just the same day over and over and over again. the same room over and over and over again. the same food the same chimps. nothing new to stimulate them no new discoveries.

You are living in a delusion if you think this is a great existence and the overlords of this planet have made sure you are ripe for the picking if you think this is acceptable.

I would rather live 1 day as a free man than a 1000 years as a slave
edit on 4-8-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I think it depends on the Zoo. I've been to Orlando and the Disney compound and I've never seen people who seemed to care more about the animals than the people there. Likewise, growing up, in seeing the L.A. and San Diego zoo's. Without those Zoo experiences, I wouldn't know to care that his relatives are butchered by poachers because their hands make good ash trays.

If I hadn't had the opportunity to look animals like this, more or less in the eye, in controlled places like that zoo, I sure wouldn't appreciate the intelligence or the real strength of them all. This isn't whaling, where an entire life form is being murdered for meat. These guys don't have the social life, but don't have the threats...they DO benefit every one like them in the wild, by what they give.

Now...Zoos that do NOT treat the animals well? Well, I never have understood why prison for animals cruelty isn't standard.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Why are they dumb? Because they dont know sign laguage?

I saw this a few days ago, the Chimpanzee is clearly pointing first at the biscuit/snack thingy...and then even at its own hand....to give him the biscuit.

The "sad" thing about this is...that the monkey is obviously more intelligent than the person on the video..and more intelligent than 75% of internet users who fabulate some stories and cannot see what the monkey actually "says".

When i saw this, i thought that a human being who wouldn't be able to speak couldn't do a better job at gesturing/communicating without language.

>>
He looked so sad and serious. I wonder what he meant when he pointed to the palm of his hand.
>>

Let me guess...he points to the biscuit (multiple times)..and then into the palm of its hand. What could it mean? Is it so hard to figure out?
edit on 4-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Animals deserve their freedom and I too don't like the concept of zoos anymore. The Monkey looks like he sincerely wants to be understood and has a look on his face that begs him to be heard.

If being locked up in an enclosure - regardless of its size - is all that Monkey has then I would want someone to release me as well. I can realise that the Monkey is frustrated. Everytime we walk out the door of our home - we are accepting our freedom to move around our world - the Monkey cannot explore and move around his world - that is very sad.

What is sadder still is that the beautiful and intelligent Monkey understands his imprisonment.

Much Peace...to all Animals everywhere - particularly those who are violated in a myriad of ways all for the so called pleasures of man...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I hope none of the people who criticize zoos have pets. That would make you a bit of a hypocrite. Let your pets go and be free.

All the zoos I have been to treat animals very well, not that I been to a whole lot of them. If zoos are mistreating animals then lobby to shut it down, and have the animals transferred to a better one.
edit on Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:47:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join