It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of Ambulances-and blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have noticed quite a few things. First, my wife and I both give blood on a regular basis. Lately the blood centers have been calling us like crazy to donate. They call much more often than bill collectors.

Second, I have been noticing ambulances in my neighborhood coming and going with their sirens on every few hours. I live in an area with lots of retirees so ambulances are not an unusual sight but now it is happening so often it seems like something is happening. They were here at three A.M. There were at least three ambulances around eight A.M. There were more around eleven when I was leaving for work. There were more ambulances leaving when I got home around five. Now I have just heard another one off in the distance...

Maybe its nothing but it sure is weird.

I am in the Fort Lauderdale Area...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

Could be the heat maybe? That usually takes it's toll on the elderly... As far as the blood goes, maybe if they paid people for it they wouldn't have a shortage! It amazes me how they portray the feel good tactic of giving blood, but have you looked into what the hospitals charge a patient for it?? Trust me, I am not against helping my fellow man, but when you look at the money that is made off of our good intentions, it will really wake you up!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

exactly. they ask you to donate blood freely to help your fellow man, then they charge patients by the pint.

its unethical, immoral and greedy. just like the american healthcare system.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Could be the heat maybe? That usually takes it's toll on the elderly... As far as the blood goes, maybe if they paid people for it they wouldn't have a shortage! It amazes me how they portray the feel good tactic of giving blood, but have you looked into what the hospitals charge a patient for it?? Trust me, I am not against helping my fellow man, but when you look at the money that is made off of our good intentions, it will really wake you up!

Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with how much hospitals charge for what we give for free. I personally do not feel like people should have to pay for it. But that will not prevent me from giving regularly. I donate very frequently and I am used to getting a phone call when I can donate again. But this time they are really hounding me to donate.

It could be the heat but where 'I am it is always hot and most people have plenty of AC. Plus the weather has not been good for staying outdoors. I am sure if there were many episodes of heat exhaustion it would be reported. But so far I see no news reports... I guess only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am hearing that the flu is going around, weird at this time of year.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Here ya go, the proof to back up my post!

Red Cross raises price to Hospitals for Blood

I thought the Red Cross was a non profit organization?

How much does the hospital charge?

Business Behind Blood

So who are the suckers?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
perhaps your neihborhood is reaching "critical mass" so to speak. Like my neihborhood a few years back.
now all is quiet since all my dear old (elderly) neihbors have pasted on or moved into assisted living.
These old timers were the first generation of home owner's who bought their houses when our neihborhood was first build back in 1964.

I was friends with and helped may of them in their last years and miss them all. I was like a son to many of them and they called on me when ever there was an emergency. I was there when EMS arrived on scene to give the initial report to the crews. I was there to calm the fears of my old friends and see them off to the ER. Sometimes it was the last time I saw or spoke to them. I was proud and felt honored to assist them all.

Not may Fire Engines or Ambulances (Rescues) around the neihborhood these days. No more calls for assistance. All's quiet now.

I miss my old friends.

But hey the blood bank calls me at least once a week so there you go!

edit on 4-8-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Lol dude, I USED to drive those ambulances into those places, Centuary Village, aka Cemetary Village
I used to work for AMR, American Medical Response
We'd be in there 2, 3 times an 8 hour shift

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Yes, my Dad just had it, 103 fever.....and after a flu shot. You just never know.

And the Red Cross is on my last nerve. I can't donate do to severe anemia, but my daughter started donating. She has chronic anemia also, but she pumps herself up with iron and squeaks by. They have been calling her every other day because it has been 2 months since her last donation, she has been gone most of the summer.

The are getting very aggressive, the least they can do is give a little better swag. Last one was a coupon for an ice cream cone.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I guess there would be no way for you to insist that, ok I'm donating my blood and not charging you for it only if the person it goes to does not get charged? Helping is great and all but these guys, according to the article, are charging $400 to $600 or more for something they got for free. You can't tell me it costs them that much money to handle each persons donation, something doesn't seem right about this.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
here's the red cross I.R.S. tax form for 2011...
www.redcross.org...
interesting to me....payments to excutive officers, retirement benefits, total compensation for all employees
i wonder how all the "volunteers" who work and work and don't get a dime, feel about this...and the actual dollar amount spent on american soil helping american people....and how about the government subsidies
some hell of a racket if you ask me, charity my ass.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yup. Another non-profit making lots of money off of our donation. Sounds like a racket to me. People on here talk about gold, silver, oil, etc... But what about a very limited natural resource i.e. blood... I just wonder how much blood is really needed compared to what they receive? Of course it has a limited shelf life and always needs to be replenished. But anyone have an idea of how much blood is actually donated as to how much is used/needed?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I am very familiar with Cemetary Village. LOL. This area used to be like it but most of the old people in this area moved out long ago. Maybe yesterday was an anomaly. Today I haven't seen or heard a single ambulance.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I thought this thread was about the temple shooting in Wisconsin.
I don't see a thread on that yet and I'm shy about starting new threads.
12 kids held hostage.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

there is... www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-8-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well it was probably a fluke... No ambulances in the hood in the last three or four days...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Where in fort lauderdale.
I live there too. Not too much action here ,but I live on a dead end ave.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There are organizations making big dollars from your blood/plasma donations.The trade towers hadn't even fallen before were putting out mass"emergency"requests for donations.As for repeated phone calls I went through that too till I had them remove me from their damn list.

top topics

join