It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a HAM radio?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FawnyKate

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by lightmere
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well I may just put it on Ebay then.. I will give you the heads up before I do.

Or put it in my office, I cant believe how good the sound is for such an antique!

For fun do you know what sort of attena I would need to use the CB and TV?

Any aerial would do for either. There should be a standard antenna fitting on the CB, the radio is another story. An antenna is basically anything you can get up in the air that would pick up signal, and can be fabricated easily with junk parts. Aluminum is your best choice. Old TV antennas that you may have seen on people's homes work great.

If you get a large enough antenna and enough power, you could knock out RF/OTA TV signals for your neighbors back in the day. Life's boring on a rural farm out in the middle of nowhere. =]

There are much more compact options too.. Just google it. =]
edit on 4-8-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

No No No Any old aerial won't do for the CB ! you will need a CB antenna and 50 Ohm coaxial cable , pretty simple stuff to do, just do an internet search for how to set up a cb station, failure to connect the correct antenna system will result in you ruining your CB when you try and transmit.

Have fun good buddy

I assure you any aerial will do. =]

So long as your SWR is within spec you won't damage your radio. If you can't get the SWR in spec you can pick up some RG58 or 59 to keep consistent impedance.

You can even use a coat hanger or metal pole and coaxial...

I've used lots of different things with my pops as a kid, we never had issues. I understand that a impedance mismatch CAN cause problems if you don't properly tune your antenna, but there are many cheap ways around that.

Google will confirm this. =]

<< 1   >>

join