It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars landing: Do-or-die time for Curiosity rover; it's on its own

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

With just over 24 hours till the "seven minutes of terror" -- when Mars rover Curiosity makes its unprecedented, hellbent-for-leather descent to the surface of Mars -- the NASA rover team sits and waits. And, perhaps, paces.

After a command sent a few days ago, “we literally could do nothing more,” says the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Ashwin Vasavada.

well the command has been sent and she is own her own now. i get so freaking excited when we land on the red planet and i cannot wait for the first color pictures to come . a 3 mile high mountain at the landing site, so awesome.

good luck curiosity, its going to be a crazy descent and landing but i know you can make it happen.

they are saying a storm brews 600 miles away from the landing site, its been too long of a journey so we dont need any problems to arise now.

A dust storm was causing scientists some concern Thursday, and a dust storm on Mars is no small worry. In April, NASA photographed a massive dust devil that extended from the surface of the Red Planet 12 miles up into the atmosphere.

The current dust storm has been swirling south of the intended landing site of Curiosity -- about 600 miles away. But despite the distance, the size means it could create a worrisome cloud of dust at the landing site.

if you havent seen this video yet ill post it, im sure anyone who is interested in the mars landing has watched it a couple times already.

its cool the video has been watched over a million times because it shows people are interested but id rather like to think everyone on earth is interested. maybe someday we will all b like that.

i have to work monday morning at 5 am cst, i might not sleep a minute sunday night haha!

edit on 4-8-2012 by elitegamer23 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2012 by elitegamer23 because: cuz my english and embedding skills suck

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
See it LIVE Here From Nasa

The landing is scheduled for Sunday at 10:31 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. NASA's webcast of the Mars Curiosity landing will begin at 8:30 p.m. PDT on NASA TV. And don't forget to follow @MarsCuriosity on Twitter for a heroic "first-person" tale.

Mars rover Curiosity takes to Twitter to tell the 'inside' story

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

I can't wait for this event to finally happen it has been a long time coming! Maybe we'll finally get to see what is really on the red planet!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'll be staying up and watching the NASA coverage. Crossing my fingers and really hoping everything goes well. That video about the landing is crazy! So many things can go wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here's an odd thought: If Curiosity lands successfully, it will be the best pilot in the Solar System. Does Congress give the Medal of Honor to robots yet?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

i watched pathfinder live, what a cute little robot.
i also watched opportuninty and spirit live. amazing survivors they were!

i have a feeling this robot is going to be 100 times sweeter than those 3 robots.

they all have special place in human space history though.

its a shame we dont live in an era when humans will b focused on space exploration more than wars/ weapons/ money/ power/ ect ect.

we are so close to the landing !

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Does Congress give the Medal of Honor to robots yet?

Spirit deserves one.

edit on 8/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Seems to be a pretty complex set of events that the rover will perform in deployment. May it all work as planned.

A storm, hope it isn't being used as a cover for failure. Anyway, l'll be watching like many others.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is one HUGE rover!

I'm very excited.

link   
reply to post by Phage

Spirit deserves one.

Agreed.

link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Here's an odd thought: If Curiosity lands successfully, it will be the best pilot in the Solar System. Does Congress give the Medal of Honor to robots yet?

they give medals to dogs i think, so we should reward the hard working robots as well!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by DJW001

Does Congress give the Medal of Honor to robots yet?

Spirit deserves one.

edit on 8/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

that comic is awesome!

dont worry spirit in might be 100 years from now but someday we will bring u home!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

its cool the video has been watched over a million times

I think my son, watched it like 1000 times..............

He built "his" Rover out of Legos......................

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
How scary would it be if Spirit communicated with us again...

That's a TV movie right there...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Honestly, its too bad they cant make these Rovers fixable..

Im sure its been thought of, though.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
COME ON Curiosity!
You can do it!

Awesome rover,Please no mishaps!

You can do it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by elitegamer23

its cool the video has been watched over a million times

I think my son, watched it like 1000 times..............

He built "his" Rover out of Legos......................

your son is awesome!

i dont care what his mom says, let him stay up all night to watch this historic tv event.

the real good pictures wont come out for a couple days but the excitement from nasa and the news and the first b&w pics and just knowing its on hard ground made the first night the best.

call me weird but ill b nervous once they announce the 7 minutes has started and ill get goosebumps once i realize the rover has landed.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

He will be Up. Even if he was in school, I cant take it away from him.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

He will be Up. Even if he was in school, I cant take it away from him.

yeah even if he was in school. this could inspire him and shape his future more than any single day of school.

i cant believe its so close, waiting around all day tomorrow is going to seem like an eternity.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
This is one HUGE rover!

I'm very excited.

maybe they sent curiosity to mars to seek revenge for beagle 2.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join