It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador : Chevron Must Pay $19 Billion over Amazon Pollution !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That will teach something to these evil people. All the mess they did wasn't for free. After this one, I expect similar actions from rest of the countries around. Bravo Ecuador !

An Ecuadorian court has ordered US oil giant Chevron to pay $19.02 billion in compensation for environmental damage relating to its operations in the Amazon.

Only God knows all the damage they caused to all my indigenous brothers and sisters in the Amazon. My mother was born in the Amazon Rainforest, part of my heart is there.

Thousands of indigenous people and local farmers accused US oil company Texaco Petroleum Co. of contaminating large areas of Ecuador’s Amazon rainforest when it operated in the region between 1964 and 1990.

This is how bad was that :

Some 30,000 indigenous people and local farmers say the US oil firm Texaco contaminated large areas of Ecuador's Amazon Jungle when it operated in the region from 1964 to 1990,

www.globalpost.com...

www.afp.com...

www.hoy.com.ec...
edit on 4-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That is what giant corporations do and the flirt the laws while buying the court systems. I truly hope they can collect but I have serious reservations that any money will ever get to those effected because of sleazy lawyers.

I see this as the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the environmental damage caused by corporations trying to maximize profits at the expense of the people and the earth.

Thanks for posting this S&F

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Well, due date is this monday. I just can't wait to see what dirty trick Chevron had prepared, they've been trying to avoid this for years.

A court in Ecuador announced on Saturday that ruled that U.S. oil company Chevron pay within 24 hours about $ 19 000 million, set in a conviction for environmental damage, which must be paid on Monday.

www.hoy.com.ec...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Should be more IMO-19billion may sound like a lot,but it won't bring back forever dead species we may have never even discovered,or repair the lives of those people affected by oil polluted water.

50 billion at least,plus make all the chevron execs and all thier families live in the most polluted areas,and drink the toxic water for the rest of their lives,then maybe you are getting closer to a"fair price."

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Should be more IMO-19billion may sound like a lot,but it won't bring back forever dead species we may have never even discovered,or repair the lives of those people affected by oil polluted water.

50 billion at least,plus make all the chevron execs and all thier families live in the most polluted areas,and drink the toxic water for the rest of their lives,then maybe you are getting closer to a"fair price."

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by Trueman

You are 100% right, it's really impossible to mesure all damage done by Chevron. The chain effect in the rest of the world wasn't considered neither.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
LOL!!!! 19 billion...
For how many years of pollution?
Chevron will make all of that back in one year, maybe two.
Now where is justice?
Corporations are said to be people too, I'll believe it when they execute the first one.
Sorry friend, I see no win here.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If "Chevron" was a person
they'd have that 19 billion in their front pocket
as walking around money.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Serves them right! They should have to give up all of their money for what they have done to the world!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is TERRIBLE. The damage to those poor folks must be more than ANY AMOUNT of money could cover!!

Before long this may be happening in America on a frequent basis if we ever have a Right winger Conservatives majority. Seems like them good 'ol boys have wet dreams about America having unrestrictive, unregulated, oil flowing everywhere in the country with [color=limegreen]ZERO EPA power or oversight to protect our environment.

And to make it worst, if republicans had the majority, they would surely sign into law a bill that would make it illegal for anyone to sue an oil company. Oil companies and the super wealthy have those republicans doing their dirty work for them. Those bastards are supposed to be working for the American citizens but clearly they are NOT!!

The Right-wing CONservatives wet dream for America involves nothing but DIRTY PROFITS from environmentally DISASTROUS ENERGY sources, and tax breaks for the super wealthy. Thats their wet dream for America.

edit on 4-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Haven't you heard - Chevron (and all other corporations) ARE people. The supreme court says so.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The thing is I feel sick because I have been co opted into participating in this horror without an alternative by the way corporations have pushed our oil based economy.

I feel bad for using approx 1700 litres of oils a year including car and heating.Maybe double with food packing and delivery of food to shops.

Mega corps use that in seconds,24/7,every day forever.And they don't feel bad.They just get more profit.
And we get made to feel guilty for using a tiny bit.

The world is upside down I tell you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

As I said, can't put a price to all damage done, but at least ecuadorians are fighting back big corporations.

Are we ?
edit on 4-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's just too bad that a "measly" 19 Billion is nothing for these oil crooks.
Pocket change to these greedy P.O.S. ...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The more I read about Ecuador,the more I would like to emigrate to the country.
It sounds like a good place,pretty easy going.
And they have seriously gorgeous girls.

new topics

top topics

join