It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The difference between...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Super fine sugar and powdered sugar? I understand superfine sugar is essentially ground up granulated sugar, and i know what powdered sugar is, but what makes them different taste wise and chemically that would warrant them to not be substitutes for each other? I've read from a few sources that super fine sugar does NOT equal powdered sugar. I'm just looking for the difference.

I ask because I made angel food cake for the first time ever the other day and it came out amazing, but maybe a little too heavy. I was told replacing the powdered sugar with super fine sugar or caster sugar would help fix that.

Why?

Thanks for reading!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Superfine sugar has larger granules than powdered sugar, which, I have read can also have corn starch in it. They are not interchangeable in recipes because of the composition of the sugar granules. A tsp of superfine sugar vs. a tsp of powdered sugar is not the same amount of sugar. Superfine sugar, also known as bar sugar as it is used by bartenders, mixes more readily in liquids, results in a smoother batter when called for in recipes.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

Aaahhh, got it. Thanks a bunch! That was very helpful.

new topics

join