It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama skips out on tab, leaves city with the bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A fundraising event for Obama in Newport Beach cost the city 35k, Obama refuses to pay. Romney paid his bill promptly. This sums of the stance of both parties on the economy. Dems expect things for free, republicans pay their bills.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by liquiddrewl

As far as I am aware the president has never had to personally pay for his own security. Isn't that the job of the Secret Service? Don't we have a whole department for this issue?
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Oh, but read past the first sentence, and...

But a Secret Service official said Newport Beach city administrators are asking the wrong people to pay for police protection at presidential campaign events. It's the Secret Service that is responsible for the candidates' security, not the campaigns, spokesman Max Milien said, and any cost concerns should have been directed its way.

C'mon, this is just stupid. There was a breakdown in communication, and the PD doesn't know who to bill.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Oh, but read past the first sentence, and...

But a Secret Service official said Newport Beach city administrators are asking the wrong people to pay for police protection at presidential campaign events. It's the Secret Service that is responsible for the candidates' security, not the campaigns, spokesman Max Milien said, and any cost concerns should have been directed its way.

C'mon, this is just stupid. There was a breakdown in communication, and the PD doesn't know who to bill.

Looking at the article it seems as if you are right. It seems to be a failure in communication.

"Any local law enforcement organization contacted by the Secret Service to assist in security should discuss matters related to costs and how to effectively manage those costs with the Secret Service," DNC spokeswoman Melanie Roussell wrote in an email to the Daily Pilot on Wednesday.

It was specifically mentioned that any issues were to be taken up with the secret service. Why are the blaming the Obama Campaign?

You should change your OP to "Secret Service and Newport Beach police have mis-communication over the bill of the protection of the president."

You know, so it doesn't mislead people.
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The city was "honored" to have the president in town, Kiff said, but he viewed the campaign fundraisers as private events.

"Had this been a 'business trip' — if the President came to Newport Beach to talk about one of his policies with our residents—the city would not have sent an invoice," he wrote in an email to the Pilot.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Kiff said the police department raised the issue with the Secret Service before the president's visit. "At that time, our staff was told that the Secret Service would not reimburse the City," Kiff wrote in an email, "and that we should check with the President's campaign or the DNC."
reply to post by DaTroof

As for reading the whole article.... Not to mention if he was there in a official capacity [i.e. doing something other then fund raising] I could see it not being a big deal, like him or not he is the potus and his appearances would mandate lots of cooperation from local officials. In this case it's to protect him and the people attending a fund raiser. Wonder how much $ per plate this one was?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

"Secret Service will not reimburse the city".

It was made clear before the event. The Secret Service's "check with the DNC" line doesn't say "BILL the DNC", it says check with them.

Clearly Kiff and the Newport Beach PD dropped the ball, and are looking to right their wrongs. This blogger, and anti-Obama people will spin it, as per this thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I heard about this, I say next time bring your own security and don't call us at all, even for backup.
Hope other cities see this and plan accordingly, especially with the explosion of municipality bankruptcy going around.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I heard about this, I say next time bring your own security and don't call us at all, even for backup.
Hope other cities see this and plan accordingly, especially with the explosion of municipality bankruptcy going around.

and don't call us at all

So are you police man? If so, you wouldn't help protect your president even if you were asked specifically for help?

I don't feel safe with people like you who decide who to protect and who not to.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
As they said in the article they were honored to have the POTUS in town, however he was there to raise campaign funds and not to do any legitimate work. I travel for work and foot the bill myself when things are not related to my work. Romney paid his fundraising bill, of course he's not the POTUS and only a contender however in the upcoming election both are really just contenders.

Look at the facts and don't spin it so that your hind brain sends you happy feelings -- Dems show up and don't pay -- Republicans show up and do pay.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I can't believe this... Oh wait... it's true. I mean... maybe he looked at it like "you all should be happy that I grace you with my presence." Maybe that's it. Yeah, I am sure of it. He's the first to let everyone know how great he is.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquiddrewl
As they said in the article they were honored to have the POTUS in town, however he was there to raise campaign funds and not to do any legitimate work. I travel for work and foot the bill myself when things are not related to my work. Romney paid his fundraising bill, of course he's not the POTUS and only a contender however in the upcoming election both are really just contenders.

Look at the facts and don't spin it so that your hind brain sends you happy feelings -- Dems show up and don't pay -- Republicans show up and do pay.

I don't get the joke? Are you telling me that instead of relying on the secret service, Republicans presidents instead always hire their own security?

I don't know about that.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

You're spinning....*facts*

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Oh that's just great! He's coming to Westport, Connecticut on Monday and the are gonna shut down Sherwood State park for a fund raiser. You can go if you have a spare $1000.00 to donate to him. NOT! I will be watching the skies for the F-18" that will be circling as I live a couple of towns away, or if they will be using Drones.
I will post here on Monday.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquiddrewl

You're spinning....*facts*

What facts am i spinning?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Nope, I'm a retired plumber!
I gave myself the right long ago not to protect anything except those that I love.
In my lifetime, I have yet to see a president worthy of me giving my life yet alone my time.
There were police officers during hurricane katrina who realized that their families were much more important than millions of other lives, I commend them on their dedication to their families.
Seeing as how BarryO dined and dashed, I'd say he wasn't worthy of his own securities devotion.
A flake in the white house is a very bad image to put on this great nation.

(Edit)
I do like your wookie though!!
Very cool avatar.

edit on 4-8-2012 by g146541 because: ITSAWOOKIE!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
In nearly every case, the city pays for security of events when the President of the United States comes to visit.

Secret Service pays for the security for those folks that they regularly provide security to, but not the event itself, which, like any other event in any city, is typically covered by the city themselves.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I gave myself the right long ago not to protect anything except those that I love.
In my lifetime, I have yet to see a president worthy of me giving my life yet alone my time.
There were police officers during hurricane katrina who realized that their families were much more important than millions of other lives, I commend them on their dedication to their families.
Seeing as how BarryO dined and dashed, I'd say he wasn't worthy of his own securities devotion.

Did you read the thread?

It wasn't Obamas responsibility to pay. We have a whole department to handle these situations so the president doesn't have to.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Did you read the thread?

It wasn't Obamas responsibility to pay. We have a whole department to handle these situations so the president doesn't have to.

Ok how about, if it is not the presidents responsibility, it is not the presidents duty.
Just another tourist is all.
Pay your bills.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Did you read the thread?

Ok how about, if it is not the presidents responsibility, it is not the presidents duty.
Just another tourist is all.
Pay your bills.

Right, then take the issue up with Secret Service since it is "their bill".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join