It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you folks help me out and check out a song of mine? (One man band).

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sounds good

I saw this ad recently on craigslist

Check it out

sfbay.craigslist.org...

Popular rock magazine Warped Magazine is seeking new up coming bands and artists to feature for WarpedMag.com.

If you would like to submit your music for our consideration. Please submit your music to us below. Please allow up to 48 hours for us to review

warpedmag.com/submissions

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

You have a real talent. You should be mindful of the fact that all of your hard times have helped to mold your talent into what is, awesome. Thank you for sharing. I subscribed to your YouTube channel and I look forward to hearing more of your music. By the way, the darkness in your lyrics helps you to see the light. Without the bad, you can't know the good. Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Dude, It's a good song, well performed and produced, good lyrics and melody. If I have a criticism it would be that I don't like the 'pitch correction' on the vocals. Makes the whole thing sound a bit synthetic and takes away the raw emotion of what you're trying to put across. I'm a professional singer/musician but was never a natural singer, had to work hard on that. Put more trust in your natural vocal skills, it pays off in the end. However don't let this criticism put you off, I'm a sucker for anything real as opposed to synthetic.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by robbo961
Dude, It's a good song, well performed and produced, good lyrics and melody. If I have a criticism it would be that I don't like the 'pitch correction' on the vocals. Makes the whole thing sound a bit synthetic and takes away the raw emotion of what you're trying to put across. I'm a professional singer/musician but was never a natural singer, had to work hard on that. Put more trust in your natural vocal skills, it pays off in the end. However don't let this criticism put you off, I'm a sucker for anything real as opposed to synthetic.

Hehe - dude - it's on so low and I'm in graphic mode. I thought I stayed far enough away from the curves to avoid artifacts!
Plus I only pitch corrected a handful of phrases. The vocals are not 100% pitch corrected, as you can hear some imperfections and some flat/sharp notes...

I really thought I did a good job with transparency. Fooey...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineerI U2U'd a link to you in case you might like to hear something I did a while back.

Of course! Send me a link via U2U.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Oh, dude - I like this already! And this is all you?

www.bandmix.com...

This is great! Awesome chorus. You don't do this anymore, you said?

And nice mix.

Edit - You're 53?! Rock on, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 8/6/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
I took it, put my name on it..said I wrote it not you...and I put it up this morning on 50 sites around the world. Im selling it for me..as written BY me not you...so thanks a lot for giving it away for nothing! Im gonna make a lot of $$$ on it as MY new song!**

**(Dont freak out..Im kidding. But there are a few 100,000 crooks around the world you just exposed it to. Next time..dont. Register your work or at least only release SOME words and SOME of the music, until its copyrighted)

Good luck.

I get a post like this, and then a U2U from someone asking if they could re-mix (change levels, EQ, effects, etc.) my song for free.

He said he wants the raw tracks.

Am I just being too paranoid here? Something tells me I'm not. You don't just give raw tracks of your songs out to strangers.

I told him nicely, "no thanks". If I am met with hostility, I will know that something was up.

If that's the case, people can be scumbags. IF that's the case.

But asking a stranger for their raw tracks is like me asking a stranger if I can hold onto their wallet with all of their personal info in it.

What do you folks have to say about that?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Those lyrics were hard to get out. I actually have pride that I was able to be so frank.

I also think the lyrics are some of the best I've come up with. I dug into my soul for about a year to get them.

I'm sorry but I lol'd at this. You do realize your looking for criticism on your non-conspiracy oriented music, on a conspiracy theory board. I even said you sound good musically but was trying to give you abit of criticism as well, is that not what you wanted? Is my opinion that your lyrics lack substance not constructive, I think it is.

Very briefly about myself, I've been writing lyrics for 16 years. If in fact those are paramount to the best you have ever written and actually took you a full year to complete then maybe, just maybe.. you aren't great at writing lyrics. Its an easy fix though, find someone who can assist you or purchase pre-written lyrics OR settle with continuing to pass off those low quality lyrics and hope for the best. In all honesty dumbass'es who listen to pop and watch American Idol would LOVE your lyrics, I just don't.
edit on 6-8-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim

Those lyrics were hard to get out. I actually have pride that I was able to be so frank.

I also think the lyrics are some of the best I've come up with. I dug into my soul for about a year to get them.

I'm sorry but I lol'd at this. You do realize your looking for criticism on your non-conspiracy oriented music, on a conspiracy theory board. I even said you sound good musically but was trying to give you abit of criticism as well, is that not what you wanted? Is my opinion that your lyrics lack substance not constructive, I think it is.

Very briefly about myself, I've been writing lyrics for 16 years. If in fact those are paramount to the best you have ever written and actually took you a full year to complete then maybe, just maybe.. you aren't great at writing lyrics. Its an easy fix though, find someone who can assist you or purchase pre-written lyrics OR settle with continuing to pass off those low quality lyrics and hope for the best. In all honesty dumbass'es who listen to pop and watch American Idol would LOVE you lyrics, I just don't.

Stop trying to get a rise out of me and stop being disrespectful.
I am on the BTS part of the site - specifically the music forum. What are you talking about? So my songs have to be conspiracy oriented to post them here?

I see you are trying to offend me (People really think I'm stupid).

The lyrics are my best in my opinion because I had the guts to be so brutally honest. THAT'S my victory. I don't care if YOU don't like them. *I* like them.

I love people like you. Having to troll around to make yourself feel better.

I didn't ask for your disrespect. And don't tell me I'm getting my panties in a bunch, because I'm not. I just know what you're trying to do.

If you want to say something - say it in a respectful manner - not a degrading manner. I will report you if you continue, Mr. Ego.

1/2 Nephililm... So you believe in giants from the bible, but are telling my my lyrics suck in an inflammatory way ("only dumbasses who like American Idol would like my lyrics").

You have a the name 1/2 Nephililm
What are you - a hyrbrid?
THEN you have the gall to insult me JUST to get a rise, which you got a little.

Glad I am able to expose you for who and what you are...

You can not like my lyrics all you want. I don't care about that. But the fact that you are purposely trying to piss me off is stupid.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Disregard everything I just said - 1/2 Nephilm only has 10 posts... Definitely a troll or someone looking for trouble.

You came to the wrong place for that, bud, and by the way - look at the stars, flags, AND the compliments on my vocals. Check out the guy who cried when he heard my song.

YOU are a minority in this thread. And your post-count makes you appear dubious.

So everything you just tried to offend me with just went out the window. Come back when you have more credibility! Ta ta!

I don't have a problem with criticism. I have a problem when someone has to be a jerk about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Hehe - dude - it's on so low and I'm in graphic mode. I thought I stayed far enough away from the curves to avoid artifacts!
Plus I only pitch corrected a handful of phrases. The vocals are not 100% pitch corrected, as you can hear some imperfections and some flat/sharp notes...

Even if you use just 0.5 percent pitch correction It will still stick out like a elephant in the room (to my finely tuned ears anyway) Your whole song seems to be a vehicle for your feelings (raw feelings) if you listen to other singers doing the same thing you will hear emotional cracks in their phrasing, like a slightly out of tune word here and there. Just like our natural speech changes under stress when we're emotional. Leaving that in the vocal track will have more of an impact on the listener and make your vocal more interesting. With pitch correction added, the illusion of real emotion disappears and the expression becomes expressionless. Listen to Elton John's new tune (So Sad) there's nothing sad about it, it's utterly pretentious. listen to his older stuff like 'your song' and he sounds like he really means it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
sorry, completely messed up the formatting in above post... top paragraph is quote, bottom is response Duhh!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Even if you use just 0.5 percent pitch correction It will still stick out like a elephant in the room (to my finely tuned ears anyway) Your whole song seems to be a vehicle for your feelings (raw feelings) if you listen to other singers doing the same thing you will hear emotional cracks in their phrasing, like a slightly out of tune word here and there. Just like our natural speech changes under stress when we're emotional. Leaving that in the vocal track will have more of an impact on the listener and make your vocal more interesting. With pitch correction added, the illusion of real emotion disappears and the expression becomes expressionless. Listen to Elton John's new tune (So Sad) there's nothing sad about it, it's utterly pretentious. listen to his older stuff like 'your song' and he sounds like he really means it.

That's very good advice. You're right. The pitch correction does take out those subtle cracks and dynamics.

You're good! You have a hell of an ear, my friend! I don't!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I took it, put my name on it..said I wrote it not you...and I put it up this morning on 50 sites around the world. Im selling it for me..as written BY me not you...so thanks a lot for giving it away for nothing! Im gonna make a lot of $$$ on it as MY new song!**

**(Dont freak out..Im kidding. But there are a few 100,000 crooks around the world you just exposed it to. Next time..dont. Register your work or at least only release SOME words and SOME of the music, until its copyrighted)

Good luck.

I get a post like this, and then a U2U from someone asking if they could re-mix (change levels, EQ, effects, etc.) my song for free.

Am I just being too paranoid here? Something tells me I'm not. You don't just give raw tracks of your songs out to strangers.

I told him nicely, "no thanks". If I am met with hostility, I will know that something was up.

But asking a stranger for their raw tracks is like me asking a stranger if I can hold onto their wallet with all of their personal info in it.

Not necessarily a bad thing, Something might of clicked with him when he heard it and he may have something good to contribute. I was in a well known 80's band and some bloke did his own version of one of the bands hits and it was amazing. The singer likes the cover better than the original. And there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of collaboration. He may even get you working a bit faster

as for copyright. Simple. Make a CD, seal it and post it to yourself. But don't open it when you get it back. Copyrighted!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Good luck.

Not necessarily a bad thing, Something might of clicked with him when he heard it and he may have something good to contribute. I was in a well known 80's band and some bloke did his own version of one of the bands hits and it was amazing. The singer likes the cover better than the original. And there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of collaboration. He may even get you working a bit faster

as for copyright. Simple. Make a CD, seal it and post it to yourself. But don't open it when you get it back. Copyrighted!!!

Yes, the so called "Poor man's copyright". Already done.

But handing over raw tracks is like asking a stranger to hold onto your wallet. It's a rather offensive question.

This is the new millennium. Everything is digital and if that gets into the wrongs hands - even with a copyright, bad things can still happen.

And no - there IS nothing wrong with a little collaboration. Just not with strangers who don't provide me much info and ask for raw tracks!

Besides, the song is already mixed and mastered to my liking...

If the guy is legit, than I apologize, but I just can't give out my raw tracks like that. No way.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Stop trying to get a rise out of me and stop being disrespectful.
I see you are trying to offend me (People really think I'm stupid).

I'm not, I can point out and probably will wind up doing so, the way in which I find your lyrics vague, typical and common.

The lyrics are my best in my opinion because I had the guts to be so brutally honest. THAT'S my victory. I don't care if YOU don't like them. *I* like them.

There is no brutal honesty in those lyrics 1st off, secondly If it was about your victory and you didn't care what others thought this post would not exist.

1/2 Nephililm... So you believe in giants from the bible, but are telling my my lyrics suck in an inflammatory way ("only dumbasses who like American Idol would like my lyrics")

Your putting words in my mouth, I implied the lack of substance in your lyrics would be more suitable for American Idol fans than it would be for average ATS members, yes.

You have a the name 1/2 Nephililm What are you - a hyrbrid?
THEN you have the gall to insult me JUST to get a rise, which you got a little.

imho We are all hybrids and not products of evolution as opposed to everything else natural on this planet. In what way is your personal attack of the opinion my name insinuated related to the matter at hand? The matter at hand being that you do not like hearing your lyrics lack substance which in your basically 3 paragraphs of replies you did not dispute nor even acknowledge that I might have a point.

As for that secondary post of yours, I have only begun posting on ATS. I did not realize I needed a massive amount of posts in order for my opinion to be valid. Actually, if I were a troll as you deem me then my post count would be much higher? Wouldn't you think? Tbh, I don't know why so many people can relate or are supportive of your music. So a guy cried? I dont get it..

If you actually would like a taste of what I can be like trolling you or giving you a hard time, this is the best way I can put it. A fellow music enthusiast dropped by while I was replying earlier and asked what I was replying to. I said this guy posted a song on ATS and I feel the lyrics lack substance, he wanted to hear the song. 30 seconds in we looked at each other and it was without saying... but I said "Yeah its butt-rock". He quickly agreed and if your not familiar with the term... Creed, Nickelback are butt-rock. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in saying that you did manage to coordinate all of that yourself to the best of my knowledge, however, it just is by no means the type of music I listen to.

I see how some could like it but based on the entire lack of lyrical substance I myself, do not.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Good luck.

Yes, the so called "Poor man's copyright". Already done.

But handing over raw tracks is like asking a stranger to hold onto your wallet. It's a rather offensive question.

This is the new millennium. Everything is digital and if that gets into the wrongs hands - even with a copyright, bad things can still happen.

And no - there IS nothing wrong with a little collaboration. Just not with strangers who don't provide me much info and ask for raw tracks!

Besides, the song is already mixed and mastered to my liking...

If the guy is legit, than I apologize, but I just can't give out my raw tracks like that. No way.

Use your common sense, obviously don't give your raw tracks away if you don't want to. but what exactly do you think he's going to do with them? Like you said, your song is finished and mixed. In effect it is a peice of art.
That can never be undone. You said you've already copyrighted it so where's the risk? I think you're exaggerating
the risk of someone stealing your work, digital age or not. And if you don't have it in the public domain then it's going nowhere. What is a peice of art be it a song or a painting or poetry if other people do not get to appreciate it (or hate it even) even if someone hates it it has evoked an emotional response. Point is, it's nothing if not shared.

Let me tell you something I'm sure you already know. Your raw tracks are nothing on their own. The drum-track sets the tempo and helps establish the genre but what is it in isolation? you didn't create the drum patterns or fills that make up the whole. They've been used before and they will be used again so what's there to steal or take advantage of? same with your bass track and the chord changes in your guitar tracks. The only elements that make your song unique are the combination of A) your chords B) your melody and C) your lyrics. They have all been used in isolation previously by thousands of songwriters looking to create that unique chord structure for there song. That just leaves the melody and lyrics. Now, they are both already 'out there' by posting them on here. You kindly uploaded it for all to hear. You have also carefully typed out your lyrics on this thread. If you're so keen to protect them then you've failed already. You've written and produced a song, are you happy with it? that's good, now it's time to move on to your next song. The first song is never perfect, we have to develop our technique and it is just the first stage in the development process. In reality, people will only take notice of you by listening to you develop your work by your examples. Otherwise they will think of you as someone who is 'trying' to be a songwriter. Don't be so precious about it. It's just a song after all.

Have a chat with the man who asked for copies of the master tracks and find out A) why he has an interest in them and B) how you can benefit from his collaboration. If you ain't interested then just say no. Whats the point in asking other people what they think?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Also, there is no such thing as a 'poor man's copyright' It either is or isn't copyrighted. The onus is on the one who claims credit for the work to prove the date they created it. If a second person disputes that claim by proving otherwise then it's the 2nd persons copyright and so on. Having a bonified date stamped unopened package is a sure way to logically prove that the credit is yours and yours alone. Look at it this way, suppose someone does steal your work and invests a lot of time money and resources into recreating it and making a success out of it then lucky you. They've effectively launched your product for you. All you need do then is step in and reclaim the credit (and the profits) as long as you have the evidence in that unopened envelope.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

I gotcha, now...

But "Butt Music"? That's hysterical. Same thing as "Generic", I believe.

That's fine - how successful has Creed and Nickelback been? I'll gladly be called "Butt Metal".

I'm not trying to shred or chug 32nd notes here. I'm not trying to be a heavy band,

This "Generic Butt-rock" is exactly how I want it. So it's ok.

As far as my comment about being a hybrid - hey - I believe in ET and stuff like that. I think they could have been our gods. Maybe there were giants, but perhaps they were ET - who knows?

Just wanted to say that. We are on a conspiracy site.

So like I said, I see where you're coming from, now. You're just a straight shooter.

If you really weren't trying to ruffle my feather before, then I apologize. We all have our own opinions. But the internet if full of trolls.

But I still like my lyrics!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by robbo961

You have a point.

You may be right in what you said in the post before that, but like I said, just giving out the raw tracks doesn't sit well with me. What if the person totally rearranged the song and adds thing or takes away things? Then it wouldn't be my song anymore.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join