Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Would you folks help me out and check out a song of mine? (One man band).

page: 3
46
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
I've gone through and worked with many musicians, (and in Los Angeles, believe me, there are lots) and the one thing lacking in the majority of these musicians and their music, is sincerity --- and I can feel the sincerity in this track and in you as a writer/composer.

Lots of musicians I've seen have the agenda of wanting to be/sound like So & So, but they're just missing that one element --- the authenticity and genuine ability that it takes to be a musician that has the ability to stand out from the rest.

I can feel there's a genuine ability in you, as there's an obvious talent and credibility to this track! And if this is your first original, I can't wait to hear what your fifth... what your tenth is gonna sound like... and possibly anything else thereafter.

I just Followed you on SoundCloud... you've got my curiosity.

I'm really looking forward to watching you mature as a songwriter!


Thanks! I have quite a few originals, but the mixes don't sound as good as this one or even the REM cover. Everything else has been recorded 3+ years ago and with crappier equipment. I mean, if you can get past that, then go to my Youtube channel and check out the rest. I covered a 311 song as well (Eons).

Anything I record from this point forward will sound (sonically speaking - sound quality) just as good as "The Light and the Grip of Night". Perhaps I should re-do everything.

So like I said, I have many originals. The best can't even be recorded because the vocals lines that are prepared for them are too high for me to sing, so I can't do them. If I change them around, they won't be as powerful.

If I could just hit those high notes...

Thanks for the input. I did put my soul into this song and the vocals. I really have been going through a lot lately and I couldn't have recorded this song at a better time!




posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Holy crap. I'm using 79 plugins and 31 tracks. Go me!



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Nicely done.




posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 



If you need exposure then you need to put in a lot of PR work. If you have money you can hire a management firm to help promote your music, but otherwise you're gonna have to spend hours browsing through various music blogs and asking them to feature you in a post and spamming comments on online articles with your promotional material.

The music industry is a heap of s***, I suggest keeping music a hobby. Keep putting material out there, get featured on some blogs, and try to build an online presence; eventually the fans will come and you won't compromise your artistic vision because some dip-s*** label wants to milk you for money.

Oh yeah, get your songs on iTunes or perhaps talk to some torrent sites/programs about featuring you as a free artist.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Good song man !!!

I have to say I was very impressed, definitely something I could blast in the car and vibe to.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Love your music man! Keep up the good work and I know you will succeed!



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Your voice although strong, in my opinion would be stronger along side weaker voices that complement yours.

Now in terms of promotion, I'm not an expert but here's my 2 cents:

1. Video
You need to add a video to your song, it will give it a new dynamic. Even if its amateur video having something visual that relates to the song would vastly improve how people perceive your song.

2. Website
Having a website improves your visibility and reach tenfold. Any person, business, organisation must have a website to improve their reach. Having a website gives you 24/7 exposure.

3. YouTube Channel
You probably already have one, but if not get one.

4. Social Networks
With billions of users across various networks, put a lot of effort into social network channels. Many greats have come from social networks notably here in the UK Lilly Allen et al.

5. Expose
You have a great voice, get it out there! There's a number of ways to do this such as submit your track to radio stations, sign up with an agent, get a manager, or cut them all out and do it yourself. Once you have a few tracks, get them copyrighted and get them printed. Ask to put them into shops for people to take for free. It may cost money but speculate!

6. Gigs
Pubs/bars/street/coffee shops arrange to sing there! You need to create a demand for your product as in any business. Yours is voice... where can your voice be heard?

Keep up the hard work though, you have real talent



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003
 


Thank you - that's great advice.

I am itching to make a video. I just don't have a camera or money to get one.

But I have awesome ideas for a video of that song in particular.

I would have clones of me (each one dressed differently playing each instrument, but still me). It's actually easier than it sounds. You just need the software and a little know how (I have a little). I just need a camera!

And I have some CGI programs - especially Maya that my friend ended up giving me. I've tried to teach it to myself, and I've gotten somewhere. I once made the solar system complete with the correct lighting and textures. I even animated it and added moons to Earth and the gas giants that revolved! Oh, the good old days.

If I could get a camera, I could film me playing everything on a nice CGI stage (that's not hard to make). And like I said, each "character" would have a role - even besides playing each instrument.

How cool would that be? I hear making clones in video is rather easy. I did a quickie on my cell phone camera once, and it worked, but the quality was of course awful.
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


To be honest, when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be some lame music by someone who thinks he has talent, and I expected a lot of, well, less than stellar reviews. I almost didn't bother, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree with jiggerj that there were too many words to make it stick in my head, and that's really what you need to get that exposure. I'm a big grunge guy, and I thought everything else about it was as good as anything I've ever heard. Maybe do a re-edit or something before posting other places, because you really want perfection when you're growing a fan base.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Splendid sir, I wish you much luck. So what part of NJ north? south?
You should try to do a song with Michale Graves, he's my favorite solo musician of all time.
edit on 4-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Here is what I think. You've got a lot of talent and to me your greatest strength is as a writer of music and lyrics. As self produced "demos" go, this is only good, and far from the best. A professional producer would tweak a lot of things in this demo.

You're biggest problem is that you are a control freak who can't delegate, who doesn't trust other people and whose ears and sense of proportion are not good enough to create a product of the highest quality.

The answer to the problem. Carry on as you are, take your critical lumps and learn as you go.

Good luck. I think you can make it.

Incidentally, form a band on the basis that you are the dictator of the band and the other guys do what you want. make that clear from the start. If other guys don't like it, they can hit the road. You will go through a lot of people, make a lot of enemies, be considered a jerk, slowly find people who can deal with you, slowly find people you will listen to and if you keep going and loosen up a little, you will eventually have a solid unit.

Get a band, get gigs and go for it.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntiNWO
reply to post by impaired
 


To be honest, when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be some lame music by someone who thinks he has talent, and I expected a lot of, well, less than stellar reviews. I almost didn't bother, but I was pleasantly surprised.


Hehe, I've had a 3 other posters at two different sites say the same thing. It's even in one of my Youtube comments of my old version.
Thanks.


Originally posted by AntiNWO
I agree with jiggerj that there were too many words to make it stick in my head, and that's really what you need to get that exposure. I'm a big grunge guy, and I thought everything else about it was as good as anything I've ever heard. Maybe do a re-edit or something before posting other places, because you really want perfection when you're growing a fan base.


I can't change the song now... It's gonna have to be catchy. J/K. I don't know.
But yeah, grunge... I love Seether. I always forget to mention them and Bush.

Grunge is what got me into music. I've been told that I should be labeled "Post Grunge".

I appreciate the advice, and I do agree with what you guys are saying. But like I said earlier, I don't like to keep the choruses with the same lyrics. I usually keep the same vocal melody, but I change the lyrics. I try to keep to the same rhyme, however.

I understand that catchy is catchy, but this is going to have to do. Plus, I put a lot of emotion and time just into those chorus lyrics.

The vision of the song is this: It starts off with me complaining (of course). But when I say, "Maybe the best thing to do with myself is...", I get the feeling that at that EXACT part people are thinking suicide or something bad. But instead, I go proactive (just for a little) and say "Get off the ground, take a step and don't fall down again".

That's showing hope.

Then the verse starts off and it sounds gloomy about how I'll never get out from under this rain-cloud. But the second part of the verse comes out of nowhere with me steadfastly saying how I'll keep my head up no matter what happens.

BUT, when the chorus hits, so does my uncertainty of it all. "I might go back on my word" (my word being that I'll go on with life). So if I go BACK ON MY WORD... Yeah... (Don't worry, I've resolved the thought of suicide in my head. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not happy to be here (on Earth), but that's a different story for a different time).

So it's showing my ambivalence.

Second verse comes and we're still talking about the darkness, and "only one way to get out of this". That way to get out is suicide.

"That promise (to my family of me staying alive for them) I made, I don't know if I can keep it now"

So now I AM unsure (in the song) and am considering go back on my word.

The second chorus is just me lamenting about "How did I get like this? What happened to me?" It really is due to a self fulfilling prophecy, due to me being so negative about myself.

The bridge is self explanatory. When I tell some people how bad I feel and how I feel that my life is a failure and I'm a screw up, they say it's not as bad as you (I) make it out to be ("Everyone says that it ain't nothing"). So I'm telling them to take a walk in my shoes if they think being me is so easy.

From there, my hope is gone.

A key-change starts off the last chorus about how I AM going back on my word and that everyone should know and that they need to go so I can "Die alone".

So yeah, I can't change those lyrics. They are probably the reason I am still here.

And like I've said - I am not going to kill myself. I'm beyond suicide. I know how screwed up I am and how screwed up the world and human nature is, but I accept it and I refuse (in the long run) to forfeit almost 33 years of my life. Why not just keep going and see what happens? See how long I CAN live until I die naturally?

So the song, as deep and depressing and as candid as it is, is my way to vent and express the things that I can't just say to anyone. It really is my therapy.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by impaired
 


Splendid sir, I wish you much luck. So what part of NJ north? south?
You should try to do a song with Michale Graves, he's my favorite solo musician of all time.
edit on 4-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)


Central Jersey.


Originally posted by ipsedixit
Here is what I think. You've got a lot of talent and to me your greatest strength is as a writer of music and lyrics. As self produced "demos" go, this is only good, and far from the best. A professional producer would tweak a lot of things in this demo.

You're biggest problem is that you are a control freak who can't delegate, who doesn't trust other people and whose ears and sense of proportion are not good enough to create a product of the highest quality.

The answer to the problem. Carry on as you are, take your critical lumps and learn as you go.

Good luck. I think you can make it.

Incidentally, form a band on the basis that you are the dictator of the band and the other guys do what you want. make that clear from the start. If other guys don't like it, they can hit the road. You will go through a lot of people, make a lot of enemies, be considered a jerk, slowly find people who can deal with you, slowly find people you will listen to and if you keep going and loosen up a little, you will eventually have a solid unit.

Get a band, get gigs and go for it.


It wouldn't be "Lifelong Lesson" anymore and I would have no therapy.

I don't WANT to be in a band. If I'm going live, I'm bringing my computer or a CD minus the tracks (tracks in the song itself) I will be playing live.

Yeah, I don't want to have to deal with other band mates and egos. I'm a control freak only in Lifelong Lesson and that's how I want it to be. It's my baby.

Other musicians can do their own thing. I have bypassed the need for them. I can do it myself. Not everyone is going to like it, but it's what I do and it's what my heart tells me to do.
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Consider this tough love:

There is an old saying, "Experience is the best teacher.", but most people don't know that there is actually more to the quote.

"Experience is the best teacher, but she keeps a dear (expensive) school. Unfortunately fools will learn in no other."

You seem committed to the school of experience. Good luck, particularly if you insist on doing it your own way, all the way. You, like many, many other people, definitely have a lot of talent.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Consider this tough love:

There is an old saying, "Experience is the best teacher.", but most people don't know that there is actually more to the quote.

"Experience is the best teacher, but she keeps a dear (expensive) school. Unfortunately fools will learn in no other."

You seem committed to the school of experience. Good luck, particularly if you insist on doing it your own way, all the way. You, like many, many other people, definitely have a lot of talent.


Can't tell if against me or for me...


And I can't tell if you're putting me down for doing it my way or if you're commending me...

Ok chief - which one is it?!
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm not putting you down for doing things your own way. That's the "school of experience" and people can learn in it. It's just a lot tougher and longer.

I think if you were really hardcore about your "go it alone" stance you wouldn't have made this thread. It's a good sign that you realize the value of feedback, but a sign of a fragile ego and less than optimal social skills that you are going to an anonymous forum to get it.

I sincerely hope you get where you want to go, but, "No man is an island." Just making music is a reaching out to others.

I think you have some serious things to sort out on a personal level. Good luck.
edit on 4-8-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I'm not putting you down for doing things your own way. That's the "school of experience" and people can learn in it. It's just a lot tougher and longer.

I think if you were really hardcore about your "go it alone" stance you wouldn't have made this thread. It's a good sign that you realize the value of feedback, but a sign of a fragile ego and less than optimal social skills that you are going to an anonymous forum to get it.

I sincerly hope you get where you want to go, but, "No man is an island." Just making music is a reaching out to others.


I gotcha now. And you're right. It's going to be harder. But I'm not banking on this for a career, so it's all good. But if something happens, then it happens.



Originally posted by ipsedixit
I think you have some serious things to sort out on a personal level. Good luck.


Did the song give it away?


Nah, true that. I have a lot of things to work on. But like I said, going about my music in this way keeps me busy and away from other egos.

I TRY to be as humble as possible, but of course I'm only human. My intentions are pure, however. Let the bands do their things and I'll just prod along releasing 2 or 3 songs a year. That's how I operate.

I'm not prolific. My songs come when they want and I see it (or hear it) before I get it down on the computer. Some of my best songs were made that way. Some I have to really try and force.

But I'm definitely a slow poke or I need a boost. Perhaps this thread was all I needed (all of the positive responses).

I have 2 other songs on the shelf. One just needs vocals (which I have) and it's done (and not too bad), and another which is just an intro and a verse.

So we'll see what happens. Thanks for the post. I get you now. You're just blunt. Something most appreciated by me, because most people (face to face, at least) always blow smoke up my butt (when it came to older material).

"Oh, you're so talented and this song is great!"

Meanwhile, that's the only time they have heard it. I got that a lot.

This song seems to be a turning of the tide.
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Awesome!!! count me as a dedicated fan. Subscribed to your channel. You don't just make music...you make magic.

Beautiful, haunting, magic....

Des






edit on 4-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by impaired
 


Awesome!!! count me as a dedicated fan. Subscribed to your channel. You don't just make music...you make magic.

Beautiful, haunting, magic....

Des
edit on 4-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)


Thanks! That was the plan - to make it beautiful and haunting - as you said. Nicely said! That's exactly what it is - especially haunting!
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Does anyone else have anything they would like to add?

Thanks again to everyone else!





new topics

top topics



 
46
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join