It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you folks help me out and check out a song of mine? (One man band).

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I am HORRIBLE at promoting. I just never know where to start. And screw Facebook. I'm not gonna even...
lol good on you, I will never resort to promoting anything on Facebook either. It's a social network not a god damn business directory. Just do what you can and I'm sure someone will realize your potential before too long.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Come on dude. Look at my lyrics. Does my cup look half full?

No, it doesn't look half full. It's positively full and spilling over, but you can't see it.

This is your one life, and it is LOADED with talent. Whatever life experiences got you to this point, don't let it be all for nothing. I always like to point out that when someone sees only failure and negativity in their lives, it means that the bad people and bad experiences in your life have won. Don't let them win.

You take the gifts you have and RUN with them!
edit on 8/4/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

edit on 8/4/2012 by jiggerj because: Never mind. I'm an idiot. lol

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Here are some helpful hints.

OK, so you've recorded your demo - now what? Now you need to get your demo in the hands of the people who can help you take it to the next level. But with so many people trying to get their demos heard, how can you make sure your demo won't get lost in the shuffle? Follow these simple steps to move your demo to the top of the pile.

musicians.about.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Did you actually drum on this or is that artificial drums?

Your voics alone sells it brother, the guitar is awesome, mixed well, usually I can hear cheesy bits and pieces, but as mentioned, this is pretty much marketable as is!

You know, ATS seems to have a hell of a lot of good musicians.

Makes me sad I stopped playing properly so long ago, now when I try it's not the same. You're good dude.

Subbing to your channel

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
As a musician of 40 years I gotta say you're really good - at everything! Nice, polished work. I think one lyric is a clunker though - you might want to change it to "I'm a self-fulfilling prophecy" instead.
My only other suggestion would be to let the song breathe a bit. It's a very busy mix and could use a little space here and there.

As for playing in bands there's nothing wrong with creating a band with the understanding that you are the leader, doing your songs your way. Every band needs a leader - democracy doesn't work. You end up with a mish-mash of ideas. It's your vision, there's plenty of good musicians who would be willing to join someone as talented as yourself.

To lead a band you just have to learn to be tactful, how to make suggestions without hurting feelings, how to encourage the best performance from each member. Always be liberal with compliments when deserved, nothing soothes feelings better than a little ego stroking!

Great work! I'll be checking out more of your music.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Did you actually drum on this or is that artificial drums?

Your voics alone sells it brother, the guitar is awesome, mixed well, usually I can hear cheesy bits and pieces, but as mentioned, this is pretty much marketable as is!

You know, ATS seems to have a hell of a lot of good musicians.

Makes me sad I stopped playing properly so long ago, now when I try it's not the same. You're good dude.

Subbing to your channel

The drums are indeed samples (sample meaning a sound file for EACH drum, which I sampled (recorded myself - took long enough).
From there, I can literally place any drum note anywhere with up to a 64th note resolution (I have super control). Plus I can edit the loudness of each hit.
So yeah, they're samples, not loops, which are already-done-beats that you just throw into a song. Screw that.
So can I play this song and my others on real drums?

You betcha. I just don't have a kit because I live in an apartment. Can't afford an electric kit and even in I had another drum kit at this point, I couldn't afford this mics.

But don't be mistaken - whatever drum-lines I create, I can play. I never ever go beyond my means.

I really need a video camera because I want to make of video of me playing everything. It would show a lot...
Thanks for the compliments, my friend!

Originally posted by Night Star
Here are some helpful hints.

OK, so you've recorded your demo - now what? Now you need to get your demo in the hands of the people who can help you take it to the next level. But with so many people trying to get their demos heard, how can you make sure your demo won't get lost in the shuffle? Follow these simple steps to move your demo to the top of the pile.

musicians.about.com...

Muchas Gracias Annie Wilkes! Just kidding. You've been awesome. Great info and I will get onto Jango momentarily. I hope it works and the song gets played. And I'll check out the other link as well when I'm done replying.

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
As a musician of 40 years I gotta say you're really good - at everything! Nice, polished work. I think one lyric is a clunker though - you might want to change it to "I'm a self-fulfilling prophecy" instead.
My only other suggestion would be to let the song breathe a bit. It's a very busy mix and could use a little space here and there.

As for playing in bands there's nothing wrong with creating a band with the understanding that you are the leader, doing your songs your way. Every band needs a leader - democracy doesn't work. You end up with a mish-mash of ideas. It's your vision, there's plenty of good musicians who would be willing to join someone as talented as yourself.

To lead a band you just have to learn to be tactful, how to make suggestions without hurting feelings, how to encourage the best performance from each member. Always be liberal with compliments when deserved, nothing soothes feelings better than a little ego stroking!

Great work! I'll be checking out more of your music.

Hey Asktheanimals. Thanks for the reply!

The "Self fulfilled prophecy" has to stay. It's so true in the case of my life. In fact, I needed to come up with lyrics quick because the rest of the song was done and I needed to fill in that gap, of course. When I came up with that, I thought it was perfect. At first, however, it was "self-fulfilled TRAGEDY". Now, whether that makes sense or not...
Anyways...

Yeah, the song is busy indeed. My idea for it as it was coming along was to have a surprise at every corner. The song was boring in its infancy, so I really wanted it to pop at every change... And there goes my obstinance!

But thanks for the nice post. As far as the bands are/were concerned - I was never assertive enough. Always too nice. And then it would all build up and I'd get angry and it would never work out... Also, I was never a leader.

Bandmates:
"Erik, you're trying to control the band! Let us do OUR thing!"

Me:
"But I don't think you should do that" (knowing the idea is HORRIBLE and doesn't work, but too nice to SAY that it's horrible)

"I don't know... Fine - do what you want". Soon, the song wouldn't even sound the same.

^^^ And that's how it would be. They made me feel bad and I believed them. Perhaps they were right. But soon enough I realized: Who am I to stifle their creativity? That's why I broke off and I keep "Lifelong Lesson" (formerly iMPAiREd) as my baby.

It's just how it has to be.

edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Damn it. Jango requires money and I have none.

When I get a job again (damned economy), I'll do that.

Looks promising...

Can someone help me with promoting the song on Reddit? I can't figure out how it works and to post it! I'm a stupid computer nerd!!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Very nice indeed......

The problem with promoting music,is going out, and actually playing it. You have friends or family that can help play your music live ? It would go a long way, for self promotion. MHO

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Very nice indeed......

The problem with promoting music,is going out, and actually playing it. You have friends or family that can help play your music live ? It would go a long way, for self promotion. MHO

No, I don't have anyone who would. Plus, the logistics, schedules - all of that. It would never work. I mean, if this song gets more positive reactions, then maybe I'll try posting something on Craigslist asking if people would be my session musicians - implying that I have the creative control and they play what I want them to, but of course I would disclaim that first thing. If this were to happen, hypothetically, and they ended up wanting the band to be a democracy, then I would say, "No problem at all!". But it wouldn't be under Lifelong Lesson.

But yeah, you hit the nail on the head. The traditional way is to go out and play it live, but obviously this is a special circumstance.

I have had some thoughts, though:

1: I can "karaoke" my own music. Either I can just give the song in CD format to a guy doing Karaoke at a bar (I've done it before) and sing my own song (The version on his CD would be minus the vocals, of course, because since I mix it, I can alter it).

2: Or maybe karaoke it a little differently - Take out the rhythm guitar AND the vocals, and do an open-mic night where I would fill in the guitars and the vocals live while the rest of the song (minus the vocals and rhythm guitars) plays through the PA. It COULD work. But here's another issue. This is a funny one.

I only play when I record.

Yes, I know how that sounds. I don't practice. This means I'm rusty (well, I'm not too bad, maybe I'm just being hard on myself) and it would take time to be "good" live, which I don't even know if I am.

But I just get the ideas, and I pick up my guitar or bass, or I program a drum beat and lay it down. Some are just a short guitar riff and a quick drum track. That's how THIS song "The Light and the Grip of Night" came about (I know I'm off on a tangent here, sorry).

One night I was a little buzzed from a few beers and I was all alone. This riff popped into my head and it sounded nothing like any riff I would normally come up with (the clean intro guitar - right when the singing starts).

So it was just that riff. Then I added a quick drum track. That drum track was only originally from the parts "I can't seem to keep my head on straight" and it stopped at the end of the "Don't fall down" vocal phrase (right before the verse).

So then I added that distorted electric guitar right when the band kicks in. I liked how that riff was driving, all while the clean guitar was in the background.

I saved the session and forgot about it for a few weeks. Then I opened it up when I had a few friends over (I didn't remember it so I was like WTF is this?). When I heard it, I couldn't believe it.

So from there I got everything up until the end of the second chorus, and the song just terminated. It was stagnant for almost a year until a few days ago when I finally figured out what to do and where to go with the song. So in just a few days, I finished it.

Sorry for the tangent, but I consider this record keeping (posting on forums). Some day I will look back at this post, as well as others.

They tell a story.

So tangent aside, yes, it would be great to have a band back me up to get a buzz going, but that ain't happening. I might have to keep using technology to my advantage. Perhaps during a guitar & vocal karaoke session, I can have video of me playing the other instruments... Hmmm...

And that's why I go off on tangents. Just thinking aloud. Sorry if I beat you over the head!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Sounds wicked dude! you have definitely put a lot of time and effort into the creation of this song. There is a ton of emotion in your lyrics without being too cliche which is a very hard skill to master so kudos to you! Your voice is quite original as well, it sounds like a combo of Nirvana and puddle of mudd. Only advice I can give being a singer/songwriter myself, is to try and make the lyrics flow a little bit better when you sing them. They flow in structure but sound a little bit crammed and forced when presented. All-in-all, keep it up and you'll go somewhere brotha!

Cheers,

Tyler

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yeah, you put work into it !

I know alot of electronic one man bands. Not many full bands though. Dont give up though. All it takes, is the right person, to see what many here already see. Potential.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Nice Music man, Your in NJ?
All it involves is leg work and phone calls. You gotta tap into the local music pulse. Find out about open mic nights in your area, coffee shops, colleges, record stores etc do this stuff all the time.
Burn out a crap ton of cd's ask if clerks at those shops if you can leave a few free sample cd's.
write the band name, tracklisting and contact info on them.
A really easy way is to send a copy to wsou 89.5
These guys are all about playing local unsigned rock artists.

Street Patrol
WSOU-FM
Seton Hall University
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange, NJ 07079

Oh here's a link to the site
www.wsou.net...

edit on 4-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

Nice Music man, Your in NJ?
All it involves is leg work and phone calls. You gotta tap into the local music pulse. Find out about open mic nights in your area, coffee shops, colleges, record stores etc do this stuff all the time.
Burn out a crap ton of cd's ask if clerks at those shops if you can leave a few free sample cd's.
write the band name, tracklisting and contact info on them.
A really easy way is to send a copy to wsou 89.5
These guys are all about playing local unsigned rock artists.

Street Patrol
WSOU-FM
Seton Hall University
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange, NJ 07079

Oh here's a link to the site
www.wsou.net...

You're the man. I was thinking WSOU, but don't they play like really heavy stuff? I wonder if they would play it. I would lose it if I heard my song on a real radio! Like, seriously. Let's see what happens. I'll send it right now.

Thank you!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Excellent work! I especially like the lyrics. I wish you well with this, and I'm glad that you shared it with us...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

They typically play heavier stuff but I've heard alot of different music on there station.
But I think your living up to the adage "the best indie comes from NJ"

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Dude! Thats really good!! It gave me goose flesh in couple of places cause it was really that good! I havent gotten goose flesh in a long time from listening to music, i felt and heard the emotion in the song.

I'm a guitar player myself (of 6 or 7 years), listening to this give me hope and self confidence to expand my playing and to learn more. I only play covers, so i dont really know where to start on writing my own stuff or music theory for that matter. I finally got around to uploading a video cover to youtube a few days ago. I also have a few covers on soundcloud too.

edit on 4-8-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

They typically play heavier stuff but I've heard alot of different music on there station.
But I think your living up to the adage "the best indie comes from NJ"

Well, I found the program director and I emailed him. I will paste what I sent him.

As far as them playing heavier stuff (and other stuff as you've said), I'm not afraid to use the double-bass pedal (especially in my new song), so while it may sound pop-rocky, it still have a lot of double-bass and I ALWAYS use a 5 string bass for that extra low B string, which give my music a trademark sound. Without the 5 string and the double-bass, it would be weak.

So I sent the program director the song in the OP "The Light and the Grip of Night" AND that REM cover I did.

I actually have a good feeling about this if I could get the message to the right person there.

Damn. That would be AWESOME if I heard my song on the radio waves!!!! We still have an old boom-box with a tape recorder. I would love to record it onto the tape and hear my song analog. I guess I could do that now, but it would be better if it were on the radio!

So here's what I sent him. May it work!

(Subject) Hi Mark. Please read this. I'm just a nobody who has a potentially good song - all recorded as a one-man band (NOT SPAM!)

(Message)
So I've listened to WSOU growing up, but not for a while (I'm almost 33 and I remember my brother blasting it in his car when I was 14).

I have this song (and others). Some are incomplete. Some are covers, etc.

However, I don't have a band. It's a long story, but to make this quick (and not waste your time), I do it all myself. On my recordings, I'm playing everything (all guitars, a 5 string bass, drums, and all vocals).

But I'm also recording it and mixing it, which I absolutely love doing. And I do it all on a PC with Cakewalk Sonar, not Pro-Tools.

I can master a little something, but I understand how much there is to it, so I just compress the master mix in such a way and limit it to -.01. I have some of the greatest plugins and after 15 years or recording on a computer, I've learned many things. I never went to school for recording and I never had any instrument lessons or vocal lessons.

So I have two songs for you, if you would be interested in listening and perhaps (my dream) to play it on the radio.

The first one is called "The Light and the Grip of Night". My one-man band (or "project", as I like to call it) is called "Lifelong Lesson".

The previously mentioned song is different than my others. It's recorded and mixed better (I have the Waves Mercury Bundle - the BEST plugins in my opinion), but the song itself it considered a masterpiece by some - especially for a person doing everything himself (not meaning to toot my own horn over here).

It took a year to complete, but I made it worth it. I'll include links (to Youtube) to "The Light and the Grip of Night" and to an REM song that I covered ("Losing My Religion). I turned the REM cover into a punk song and it fit perfectly. I think I can do better recording-wise and vocal-wise (on the REM song), and perhaps soon I will re-do those tracks. I have better equipment now, anyways... The song was recorded about 2 years ago when I had equipment that genuinely sucked.

Sorry about the long message. It's hard to sum up my situation in a few lines. I hope you like these. I also have the (lossless) WAV files and 320 KBPS mp3's.

Just one quick thing: On "The Light and the Grip of Night", I use the "F" word twice. If you like the song and would play it (but can't have those words), I can easily edit them out or even change the words in no time, and it would sound seamless. If the songs are too long, I can easily cut the bars that are "filler" and bring it down to three and a half minutes.

So I will leave it at that. Here are the links. I hope you like them and like I said, if you need the .WAVs, just ask.
I don't usually go promoting my music like this (if at all - I just never know where to start), but I am getting a good reception on these two songs, especially my original. There's a lot of raw, pure emotion in that song.

"The Light and the Grip of Night" by Lifelong Lesson:
www.youtube.com...

REM's "Losing my Religion" - gone punk:
www.youtube.com...

My Soundcloud page with higher quality (sounds 320 KBPS to me):
soundcloud.com...

Thank you so much for your time!

(Knocks on wood). If I don't get an e-mail back within a few days, I'll call.

Thank you so much for the idea and the link! WSOU FTW!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I've gone through and worked with many musicians, (and in Los Angeles, believe me, there are lots) and the one thing lacking in the majority of these musicians and their music, is sincerity --- and I can feel the sincerity in this track and in you as a writer/composer.

Lots of musicians I've seen have the agenda of wanting to be/sound like So & So, but they're just missing that one element --- the authenticity and genuine ability that it takes to be a musician that has the ability to stand out from the rest.

I can feel there's a genuine ability in you, as there's an obvious talent and credibility to this track! And if this is your first original, I can't wait to hear what your fifth... what your tenth is gonna sound like... and possibly anything else thereafter.

I just Followed you on SoundCloud... you've got my curiosity.

I'm really looking forward to watching you mature as a songwriter!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aktulu
Dude! Thats really good!! It gave me goose flesh in couple of places cause it was really that good! I havent gotten goose flesh in a long time from listening to music, i felt and heard the emotion in the song.

I'm a guitar player myself (of 4 or 5 years), listening to this give me hope and self confidence to expand my playing and to learn more. I only play covers, so i dont really know where to start on writing my own stuff or music theory for that matter. I finally got around to uploading a video cover to youtube a few days ago. I also have a few covers on soundcloud too.

Awesome! That's cool to know that I helped someone!

Dude, it's easy. You can do what I do.

You have a computer, I assume.

If it's a Mac, then go for Pro-Tools or Logic. They're expensive however. And that doesn't include the plugins or the Audio Interface (the external sound card that you need to record into the computer)

If you have a PC, just go somewhere (...) and get Cakewalk Sonar and the Waves Plugins. Then get "Battery 3.0" and download some drum samples (I made mine after meticulous recording). Battery is the program that integrates itself into Cakewalk Sonar so you can place drum hits anywhere. But you have to know how to make a beat.

If you don't want to do the drum route, then scratch Battery, but get Sonar.

It's easy. There are things called tracks. Each track is a recording of audio. For instance:

"The Light and the Grip of Night" has 31 tracks (which is a lot). Tracks for the guitars (one at a time) and tracks for the bass and vocals.

Once you record, you need to use plugins like compressors to even out the sound (ever record something and the vocals or the guitars kept fluctuating in volume and drowning out the rest of the mix?). Compression solves that. It makes the volumes even. That's the FIRST THING you should get to know. Mess with presets, but compression is where it's at. But not too much.

Then you just go from there. I believe you can get a legit free version (LE) of Sonar at their website. Computers are powerful enough to handle audio recording these days, so do it!

My computer has 4 gigs of ram and I'm running 31 tracks and like 50 plugins (which use A LOT of CPU power).

Here's a screen-shot of that song. If someone can embed it, I would be most appreciative.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join