It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30-60,000 Russians? Oh My!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

willy nilly

^^Really???

Nah seriously, I am sure there are Russian contractors working in Syria, just like the U.S. had trucking contractors to do the freight driving in Iraq...I dunno, just people trying to make a living...

edit on 5-8-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

You misread my concern. I don't suggest there is anything devious or bad about Russian nationals being there. It's how anxious NATO and the West are to see guns blazing all over a nation so many Russian nationals are still in, while it's happening.

It really strikes me as terribly reckless and a side I didn't realize existed to this degree. For some reason I was thinking Russians were only a factor for the facilities and advisers. If one assumes any major loss of Russian life could be the basis of an international incident, and it seems reasonable Putin won't let it slide, then we're sure taking a wild number of risks in pushing the Rebels to tear the place up.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
There is still a Soviet era Naval base in Syria still staffed by Russians in Tartus.

Tartus hosts a Soviet-era naval supply and maintenance base, under a 1971 agreement with Syria, which is still staffed by Russian naval personnel. Tartus is the last Russian military base outside the former Soviet Union, and its only Mediterranean fueling spot, sparing Russia’s warships the trip back to their Black Sea bases through straits in Turkey, a NATO member.[8]

Obviously a strategic port for the Russians. Similar to the large Naval presence the United States has in Bahrain, who are also violently putting down protests and torturing protesters. But the west keeps quiet about that and gifts the Bahraini regime with Grand Prix's and tea with the Queen.

We decide who the bad guys are.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I have been reading a number of stories about the Syrian situation and the Russian responses among the overall politics. However, this was the first time I saw this figure:

“However, this group is not sufficient enough to evacuate from 30,000 to 60,000 Russian citizens working and living in Syria," Golts said, "unless the marines will be ordered to gain control of a landing strip at Damascus airport and help establish an air-bridge to take all Russians out.”

“Whatever their task, it is clear that given the rapidly deteriorating situation in Syria the Kremlin wants to have some sort of military presence close to its shores,” Golts added.

Source

The overall story is about Russia sending a small group of ships with Marines and APC's. It's the number of Russian citizens that I caught my breath over. This sure isn't a place NATO can just go willy nilly bombing like has happened in other places and that's A LOT of Russians if something went badly wrong.

I wonder if this isn't helpful for understanding the ins and outs of what we're seeing? It was news to me.

I'm glad you opened my eyes to this fact. I guess the MSM really blinded me to this one. I now see Russia's recent attempts at aiding Syria in a different light. I wish we could have a revolution in the US for knowledge and education. Normally, I would never insinuate that violence is the answer... But if violence is the only foreseeable way to stop more violence... What do you do, then?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't suggest there is anything devious or bad about Russian nationals being there

I understand, I never said "you" suggested anything devious or bad about Russian nationals being in Syria, but since the MSM is good at taking things out of context, we can assume that they will make this story seem threatening because of the Russian nationals present in Syria....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I am surprised at how many people think Russia would attack the USA over a stray missile or bomb. They would be stupid to do and it would be the reason out government need to wipe out Russia's Navy and airborne. With 24 hours most of there navy would be at the bottom of the ocean and the would be begging the UN to step in and have peace talks. They aren't stupid or crazy. It will be years before they can't actually put up a fight against the USA. They would yell and scream but that's it.. nothing more

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

I'm not sure yet what the answer is. I know I've been putting a lot of thought into that and how I and others can move to change things as individuals and collectively larger efforts. Peaceful of course....and it's not fully thought out yet. I know something has to happen though. If this happens, it'll be the 3rd major war with Iran coming up as #4 in just over a decade and all with questions. Some with nothing but questions.

Ugh... It's crazy how the single actions that made sense for even a % are forming a big picture of insanity, isn't it?

@Konquest

Indeed. The Russians aren't right with us and doing what we tell them, so I am sure if the civilian numbers come up in breathless MSM reports, it won't be in any good context.
Of course, I'll bet if Putin were right with us and not making problems, his citizens would be among the reasons we're told action is needed... protection and all that, right? lol.. craziness. The only winning move is not to play. I should add that line to my signature.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

In America there's roughly 3.13 Million Russians:

Russian Americans - wiki

The Russian American population is reported to be 3.13 million.Many Russian Americans do not speak Russian, having been born in the USA and brought up in English-speaking homes. In 2007, however, Russian was the primary spoken language of 851,174 Americans at home, according to the U.S. Census. According to the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard, 750,000 Russian Americans were ethnic Russians in 1990.

Lots of Russians all over the place.

Not the point. The point is that Syria is a hot-spot high-potential target for Israel and the U.S. - granted, the U.S. Isn't stupid enough to bomb and kill a bunch of Russian civilians, but Israel is crazy/paranoid enough to do so. If they do, my sincere hope is that we urge restraint from the Russian Federation, but stand by idly if they decide to flatten Israel in response.

Sure, the 3+ million Russians in the U.S. (of whom most are U.S. Citizens) would be a concern if we were planning on going to war against ourselves.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
Mmmmm.... Citizenssss..... Mmmm.....

I doubt Russia would actually do anything, to be honest, unless Syria is worth fighting over for whatever reason. A very compelling reason, in fact.
edit on 4-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

Let one hair on any of the alleged 30-60,000 Russians get harmed by the actions of NATO or anyone else invading Syria and see how wrong you are.

Russia will respond in like like Lions. Russia might be spun as a broken Nation with a very little effect militarily to the Western Media and it's citizens but make no mistake. It's got claws and it will strike if any of it's citizens are hurt. Putin is no punk.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Holy cow that is a lot of Russians. Maybe this is why things haven't escalated in the region to a large degree. Going crazy over there with airstrikes and whatnot would have dire repercussions, as the likelihood of killing Russian civilians seems high, IF those numbers are accurate. And I highly doubt Russia would just stand by and let it happen. Actually, I'm positive they would not. They would either demand something from the West, like access to resources, etc., or opt for a military retaliation, either in hopes of scaring us into compliance, or with the goal of actually striking American or allied troops in the region.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
sounds more like a catalyst to me...

America invades syrria.

Syrian terrorists need to be bombed.

Mass rusian civilian casualties equals a pissed off russia at the USA.

anyone else see this issue arrising?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mythots

I think that all depends on who's got friends... and the US doesn't have nearly as many as they used too.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Syria has WMDs, many years ago an Israeli news site reported some of them were moved there from Iraq. Israel just a few years ago took out a joint Syrian/North Korean nuclear weapons site in Syria.

Russia doesn't want it's citizens to be hit by Syrian gas, biological weapons, or nukes. You can't control the wind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join