It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we trapped?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
There are so many things we can't explain, and probably never will be able to explain as long as we're bound to this universe. Just take for instance "existence". Either something comes from nothing, or it has always been here. Neither explanation is sufficient. We can't comprehend either case. Where does consciousness come from? How do we know that we exist?

These things just baffle my mind. Certain things can eventually be explained by science, but I'm afraid that things like existence and consciousness can never be. They just defy logic.

These things have bothered me for quite some time now. To live in a universe that cannot be explained and to be stuck logically is just terrifying. Sometimes, I would lie in bed half asleep. Then all of sudden a thought about existence and purpose would come, and I would have a panic attack.
edit on 8/4/2012 by Truth07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
You might be interested in some of the writings of the ancient Gnostics who tackled these ideas and as well came to the same conclusion that our consciousness is trapped in the material world, which is not the real world.

www.gnosis.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

Dear Truth07,

Life can be troubling at times; but, it can always get better and usually does. As we begin to ask the really important questions, we are often left unsure of the answers; but, the journey of investigating and questioning is what it is all about.

These things have bothered me for quite some time now. To live in a universe that cannot be explained and to be stuck logically is just terrifying. Sometimes, I would lie in bed half asleep. Then all of sudden a thought about existence and purpose would come, and I would have a panic attack.

I am a Christian; but, I am not going to give you the "believe in God" answer. I am going to try and give you an answer that applies to everyone, believers and non-believers. Odds are you will live to be 76 in the United States (I am 2/3rds of the way there now). When you are laying on your death bed, what do you want to say your life meant, we can worry about eternity later. What do you want your life to mean, do you wish it to be about making money, achieving some athletic, business or other goals? You get to pick your purpose in this life, it is called free will and you have it. Make your life an amazing journey by knowing that you lived a life of intent, your intent. It doesn't matter if you achieve all your goals, what matters is that you pick them, that you define yourself and live a life of intent. What is the greatest way that you can use your time here on earth, work towards it and the trip becomes meaningful beyond anything you can imagine now.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth07
There are so many things we can't explain, and probably never will be able to explain as long as we're bound to this universe. Just take for instance "existence". Either something comes from nothing, or it has always been here. Neither explanation is sufficient. We can't comprehend either case. Where does consciousness come from? How do we know that we exist?

These things just baffle my mind. Certain things can eventually be explained by science, but I'm afraid that things like existence and consciousness can never be. They just defy logic.

Think of it like this. You are a star. You are made of stars. You are light, as you are energy. Right? Right.

So, with that said, what star, or for that matter, what object in the universe emits every single frequency of Light?

Hmm?

Exactly. None. Perhaps the cosmic egg that projected itself into the infinite void at the time of the 'big bang' (but that's something else altogether).

Notwithstanding, the star analogy can be likened to you, an individual. Some things, some truths, some perceptions and experiences can be found, but not all, can be found. It would be like expecting our very own Sun to emit far more frequencies at much stronger levels than it presently does.

Now, it's not to say that if you focus well enough, or hasten a greater sense of sensitivity and ability, can you find Light that is still hidden from you. Everything takes effort, focus, and time.

Some focus on getting the $$$. Some people focusing on getting the Light.

And remember, you're not alone. There's always going to be someone out there that wishes well for you.

edit on 4-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

we is trapped but the real question are we really we? Or is that just an assumption. I you are not prepared to consider that to be a possibility you will live in fear of the truth until you do,. thanks for the post, its beneficial for all.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I read the Gospel of Thomas before, and it was pretty good. I gained a lot of insights into what are probably the true teachings of Jesus. But the problem with ancient texts is that they tend to just give you an answer without saying why. As a result, there are lots of different interpretations. It's basically up to the reader to pick the best one.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Dang good questions. A couple of guesses though:

1.) There is no such thing as "nothing."

2.) Consciousness, the paradox that it is, probably presupposes a "Model."

Maybe those are our BIG hints.

The three things that science has no real answer for: Consciousness, infinity, and paradox. I think they suggest a Creator.

Whether right or wrong: At least I don't lay awake thinking about 'em anymore!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

Pinch
...yeap I'm here

Guess I exist somewhere because I'm here! How am I supposed to relate to this thread

I think you're the one trapped

edit on 8/4/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
As I read your post I was watching this.

It may answer your questions

But you may want to read this. I consider it a must.
www.spiritwritings.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

you video i had already figured out on my own about a decade ago! Good watch for some though, should they watch it!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

You're probably feeling trapped because you are trying to figure out things which your brain is physically incapable of comprehending. That endless loop of logic vs. philosophy will lead you nowhere.

I, for one, believe we are everything and nothing. We exist because the cosmos exist, and we are made of the same ingredients as the cosmos. We are smaller than a speck of dust in the scheme of things, but without each speck of dust, there would be no dust bunny.

To answer your initial question: No, I do not believe we are trapped. My imagination takes me anywhere I want to go. My dreams take me to other worlds and dimensions. My soul is anchored in this body at this time, but it knows of other places to be.

I am real because I exist.

This existence is a part of the journey.

We are always moving forward, we are always changing.

You can move forward and change and explore within the confines of this existence, just stop worrying about being "trapped" and start looking around at the amazing craftsmanship of the "cage".
You might find a few cracks along the seams, or maybe a connection to another type of cage. You just never know.

edit on 8/4/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

We were, until we were released from the snare, but then we stuck our arm back in, unsure of the domain of unfettered freedom and liberation, and now we're trapped again, but only out of fear, of freedom itself.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Sometimes, I would lie in bed half asleep. Then all of sudden a thought about existence and purpose would come, and I would have a panic attack.

Well, I feel like you, but I would like to say that you shouldn't be afraid of those questions, they are normal questions, everyone should ask those. You have to accept it, integrate it, learn to live with it. And if you spend your life trying to find an answer, if for every situation in your life you ask "what is the purpose of this?", believe me you have a sane mind, because the ill mind is the mind that never asks those questions. Like Krishnamurti said "it is no sign of sanity to be well integrated in a sick society". In this case, the illness is to never ask those questions, it's to occupy the mind with artificial, superficial thoughts. You have to fight the "vertigo" feeling, like a funambulist who walks on a tight rope (read Nietzsche), who overcomes his own fears and becomes someone else, often the one he really was. For every situation, ask yourself "what is the purpose of this?", because asking that question forces you to look at the big picture.

Myself, I have become more of the contemplative type, I have understood that we are mammals with a better brain than other mammals, that enables us to ask those questions, even if we can't find the answers. That's our condition, the human condition, and that's the cruelty of it. But in the same time, nothing is really serious, "it's just a ride", like Bill Hicks said. We are no different than the cat or the giraffe, it's just that we are able to ask "why".

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Im not trapped, YOUR trapped...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

When I was about 6 years old I would cry myself to sleep contemplating the idea that death was the END for me - that I would no longer exist after my body was layed to rest. I had a lot of BIG questions for my parents growing up but they weren't very spiritual and offered little to quell my existential musings.

When I started getting 'out of my head' as a young adult, things started to fall in to place and my questions started transforming in to a sense of knowing, but a knowing that transcends human logic.

So my suggestion would be this - don't use logic to try and understand the metaphysical parameters of your being - alter your consciousness so it is more aligned with what is commonly referred to as your 'higher' self - the divine aspect of YOU, and then you will start to fill up with love, humility and peace.

meditate every day
don't watch TV
don't listen to negative/dark music
stay away from energy vampires
find joy in little things
tell those that you love, that you love them
don't fear new experiences
listen to the space between breaths
let go and find the flow
Create !

Hope this helps

Peace Out

* Ned

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

Heres something to think about...

What if your body is a trap?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

There is only one thing you know for sure and that is:
You are!!
Now find out what that is.

youtu.be...
edit on 4-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What if your body is a trap?

What about a temple ?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

No we are not trapped dear brother, you just are trapped in the thought process of 'Logic'. Sometimes the most illogical things makes the most sense. Such as quotes from wise beings from now and in the past, not to be trapped is to see in between logic and intuition.

When you are on the bridge you can see the connection between two parts of the island, looking forward onto the bridge. Will be certain that the truth will rise up and enLighten you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth07

Because there is a belief that there is something other than here and now there is a belief in a 'person in time'.
There are no persons and there is no time.
There is just this.
This is/you are. It is one.

youtu.be...
edit on 4-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join