It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Children's Hospital Creates "Cat Immersion Project" For Cancer Patient

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It's a wonderful idea to do this cat immersion for since she's missing her cat
Hopefully she can beat this horrible illness. She's too young.

I had a long stay in hospital and missed my kitten. I missed everything from home. I wanted to go home so badly.

The place I was in was more of a rehab place and pets were allowed to visit. Some patients had their dogs with them all day. They werent allowed to run free though.

There was also a pet therapist who would come once a week and drop by each room so you could interact with her dog.

There was even one night nurse who brought her dog to work. I thought I was seeing things, did I just see a dog in my room in the middle of the night? He wandered the halls though folllowing her around.

It was a bit strange but made people happier. I didn't bring my cat in , he would panic and run away. This place i was at really believed in animals helping to heal or comfort.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Great find OP was a very moving story/video.

I am glad Seattle is highly regarded by many, that is where i will end up getting my transplant if it happens.

I loved watching her face during the video, the expressions were priceless.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
It's a wonderful idea to do this cat immersion for since she's missing her cat
Hopefully she can beat this horrible illness. She's too young.

I had a long stay in hospital and missed my kitten. I missed everything from home. I wanted to go home so badly.

The place I was in was more of a rehab place and pets were allowed to visit. Some patients had their dogs with them all day. They werent allowed to run free though.

There was also a pet therapist who would come once a week and drop by each room so you could interact with her dog.

There was even one night nurse who brought her dog to work. I thought I was seeing things, did I just see a dog in my room in the middle of the night? He wandered the halls though folllowing her around.

It was a bit strange but made people happier. I didn't bring my cat in , he would panic and run away. This place i was at really believed in animals helping to heal or comfort.

Those pet therapy animals are truly a gift to a lot of folks. You can go through the training to get several different animals approved to do what you describe. When I was in high school I had a friend and her mom had 6 australian sheperd dogs who were all qualified to do that. I went with them to a rehabilitation center (old folk's home..I hate that name) several times and the mood in the whole facility changed almost instantaneously. The look in some of those people's eyes bought tears to mine. I am glad people do it.

Originally posted by severdsoul
Great find OP was a very moving story/video.

I am glad Seattle is highly regarded by many, that is where i will end up getting my transplant if it happens.

I loved watching her face during the video, the expressions were priceless.

Thanks!
I am glad you liked it.

I have heard a lot of good things come from that hospital, but I am sorry to hear that you will be using it personally. I don't know what your sickness is, but I hope you get the transplant you need and recover fully. I can't imagine how scary that is. Good thoughts and prayers are being sent to you and yours.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
How did I miss this thread ???

This brought tears, to my eyes.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
How did I miss this thread ???

This brought tears, to my eyes.

I am glad you liked it.
It kind of makes you appreciate some of the smaller things.

I posted it pretty late one night so I think a few folks may have missed it because of that.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Honestly, EVERYONE should see it. Its humanity, making a difference.......

Bump it, occasionally....

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Honestly, EVERYONE should see it. Its humanity, making a difference.......

Bump it, occasionally....

I had thought about that, but thought "bumping" was illegal here.
I don't want welts on my wrist again!!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What a sweet sweet story!

When I went through cancer (I was a little bit younger than she is) one of my cats would sleep with me. My mom has the sweetest picture where Penny (the cat) had crawled under the covers with me, semi-bald head and all. Penny was not a touchy-feely cat at the time, so her presence always made me feel even more special.

I wish they were able to bring her cat up to the hospital, but I understand why they couldn't. At least someone had the brilliant idea to do this to try and make up for it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe[/

Those pet therapy animals are truly a gift to a lot of folks. You can go through the training to get several different animals approved to do what you describe. When I was in high school I had a friend and her mom had 6 australian sheperd dogs who were all qualified to do that. I went with them to a rehabilitation center (old folk's home..I hate that name) several times and the mood in the whole facility changed almost instantaneously. The look in some of those people's eyes bought tears to mine. I am glad people

Thanks for your reply.
I might have messed up your quote sorry

I hate the name old folks home as well, which is why I must correct you. I wasn't in a nursing home! It was rehabilitation center for all ages, mostly accident victims, amputees, paralyzed, etc. It was a shepherd dog she brought, now I think of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Wonderful! My middle daughter had a liver transplant at 9 yrs old.. and anything that could go wrong did.. from the start. We spent an incredible amount of time in the hospital. They also were trying these alternative things.. which to me are just common sense. Touch, massage, etc for pain.. when parents were absent.. for whatever reason like work or selfishness.. the nursee held the babies and toddlers and were very very hands on with the older kids. reassurance with touch and hugs.... the lady with the dalmation came twice a week for visits. A CALM dalmation.. whoda thunk. The dog was incredible because she would lay with her on the bed and not pull at her drainage tubes or anything. It was like she knew to be careful and gentle! Im tellin you.. as a parent who has seen it first hand for a LONG period of time.. this stuff works incredibly well.

WONDERFUL story Kang.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join