It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build a custom home in 20 hours using a giant 3D printer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Anyone who works in the construction knows that it's slowly but surely becoming an illegal's only profession. So yeah lets 3d print our houses instead and make high paying work for AMERICANS.

This technology is great on so many levels. Stuff like this is why I decided to go to school to become an engineer in the first place. I can't wait to help build the future.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Oh look, it's technology that could save everyone from labor and promote a new chapter in the freedom of man. Looks like we better suppress it.

The future is going to be so amazing.

Save everyone from labor... I'm sure all the unemployed construction workers agree. I mean who needs work anyways

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Technology sometimes puts people out of work. It usually creates new jobs in new fields at the same time though.. this is the march of progress people...

It baffles and saddens me how people have been talked into believing this lie that technology and science are bad and evil and responsible for all of the ills in their lives....

Just today I was reading in other threads where people were lamenting that cheap non fossil fuel based energy would put people out of work and saying that it shouldn't be pursued because of this....

Not only are such positions short sighted in the extreme but they also play right into the hands of the elite who control the game as it is today. They like things as they are now for any number of reasons and they put LOTS Of money and time into making you THINK that the situation as it is now is better for you than progress would be.\

Now the reality though is something altogether different. We are in a foot race right now against several factors which could basically end our ability to live in the manner we've become accustomed to. Now when I say live in the manner we've become accustomed to I'm not talking about Iphones and ipods and Air conditioned megaplexes. I'm talking antibiotics and running water and a 2000 calorie diet!

The reality is we now need to innovate our way out of the mess we've created or the vast majority of us will be relegated to modern serfdom within the next 50 years.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Agreed roguetechie I think part of the problem is also the complexities of surges in technology, demystifying these advances and helping people understand the integral long term benefits both to person and to planet is vital.

The fact is that with any current commercial RP process the main selling points are mass customisation and not cost, the real advances in RP will not be in the machines but in the materials the machines can build from.

If 3D printed houses were to become a commercial reality they would never take the place of conventional building methods in any case.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This is the future. Houses and buildings should become cheaper to build using this technology.

3D printing is the construction industry of the future. Not only will it be printing large scale things such as houses and buildings, but shrunk down to printing minuscule nano-scale objects.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Rage has it correct ... I think we'll see a myriad of 3d printers that work in highly diverse media and in wildly varying sizes for everything from the miniscule to the macro.

Another huge technology will be 3d weaving... which will let you make composites to exactly the shape you are wanting to make... No more costly and time consuming layups using complex forms just Wham bam thank you ma'am here's your boat hull, helmet, bike frame, or etc. COmbine these two technologies into one platform and you can start building whole complex machines like cars and airplanes.

THis isn't to say that traditional machining technology will be totally outmoded... far from it. it will just be enhanced by these new machines.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I think the scope to go micro rather than macro is the direction the technology will go in. House "kits" like Huf Haus have paved the way for short build times. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this technology being able to build something as large and complex as a house but because ultimately its human input that creates 3D output and the issue of correcting a 3D build once it has begun (not just throwing it away and starting again) would be a massive issue to the production of such high value items.

3D weaving is amazing and very much a production reality:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join