It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Glassfrog Found - Manu.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I present to you "Centrolene sabini ", this creature is the amphibian species discovered # 7,000, lives in The Manu Reserve (Peru).

The total number of amphibian species reached 7,000 today. The 7000th known amphibian is a new glassfrog from Peru, Centrolene sabini (Catenazzi et al 2012), which was discovered at high elevations in Manu National Park, Peru. Glassfrogs have increased from 65 in 1985 to 152 known today, illustrating the paradoxical phenomenon of amphibian discovery during a time of great concern for amphibians. In June 2012, IUCN reported 41% of amphibian species at risk of extinction. Yet, the number of known amphibian species has increased dramatically, from 4,013 in 1985 to 7,000. Enjoy AmphibiaWeb's new song in celebration of the 7000th species!

amphibiaweb.org...

(The song reminds me "The Wiggles")

About Manu :

www.inkanatura.com...
edit on 3-8-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Interesting, encouraging, and down right cool! Thanks for the post! As an avid reptile and amphibian enthusiast, it has been scary in recent years to hear what seems to be mostly bad news regarding the loss in populations of such unique creatures. I guess this just goes to show, still, how little is known about the entire animal kingdom as a whole. Though in the end humans may not be quite so fortunate, I feel hope in knowing that many other forms of life will survive, adapt, and even thrive despite the changes Mother Earth has in store.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
How is it that these people know that there are 7k of these frogs....why not 8 or 6?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Can I be the first jackass that says "mmmm. Salt and pepper and those legs go down swimmingly"?

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Excellent post, I am always astounded by the diversity of nature! I wonder how many new species are discovered daily world wide? and I am sure the leading discoveries would be in the insect world.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Tunatarian

Great words, thanks.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
How is it that these people know that there are 7k of these frogs....why not 8 or 6?

Seems you misunderstood it. 7000 species, not 7000 frogs.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by Trueman

Can I be the first jackass that says "mmmm. Salt and pepper and those legs go down swimmingly"?

CJ

I can understand that only under survival situations. Otherwise, it's murder.

top topics

join