It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strangeness In Plain Sight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I just got finished reading a post about a possible video of Wood Fairies. I watched the video, and wasn't particularly convinced but the guy did seem sincere. That link is here if you missed it:

Possible Wood Fairies

I also have some interesting photos I'd like to share just for conversation. I'm not making any claims about them except that they haven't been edited. Two of the photos were taken on my property, and two in Panama City Florida. I'm interested in your thoughts, and then perhaps I'll add even more...

Keep in mind, that some people see nothing at all in them. I'm interested in what you see. I've got some things to do, but I'll be back soon...
edit on 8/3/2012 by visualmiscreant because: added missing word

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I see some nice shots of snippets of nature.
But not to be a kill joy - I am can stare at the linoleum floor and see all sorts of faces.
I could probably do the same looking at your photographs.
The Human Mind is fascinating
I have had dreams where I was shown things which I never saw before - and though dreams may be considered as not real they have been enriching.
Yet when the line between reality's is blurred it can be problematic
So I can see no Fairys in your photos but I do see other things such as an odd tiny face and pair of hands but I know that is not what they are but merely shapes shades which resemble them

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Exactly, and this is why they are in the General Chit Chat Forum. They are all four classic examples of Pareidolia.

Pareidolia

Which leads me to these questions...

Doesn't the same thing happen when one proposes a conspiracy with no evidence other than their own speculation and circumstantial situations?

Are we all (or part of us) addicted to this behavior, or are we all (or part of us) just chasing Easter Bunnies?

Do we basically feed off this, or are those silent readers (non-members) feeding off of us?

I thought this might make a decent discussion, as pareidolia is not restricted to seeing faces...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Those green leaves looked like they were ready to bite someone's hands off!

Nasty nasty.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant

Exactly, and this is why they are in the General Chit Chat Forum. They are all four classic examples of Pareidolia.

Pareidolia

Which leads me to these questions...

Doesn't the same thing happen when one proposes a conspiracy with no evidence other than their own speculation and circumstantial situations?

Are we all (or part of us) addicted to this behavior, or are we all (or part of us) just chasing Easter Bunnies?

Do we basically feed off this, or are those silent readers (non-members) feeding off of us?

I thought this might make a decent discussion, as pareidolia is not restricted to seeing faces...

Conspiracy exists and is real. People conspire all the time.
Yet every conspiracy theory is not automatically true.
I get what you are saying that pareidolia can also be applied to some conspiracy theories.
Discernment of the truth behind things can be very subtle.

There is a famous painting of a pipe which has "This is not a pipe" painted beneath it.
Of course people may be puzzled by such a statement and think of course it is a pipe.
Yet the truth is that what they are looking at is paint upon a canvas

The whole of life is such an illusion in a way.
By Illusion I do not mean it is not real - in the bigger Reality it is only a part of the whole picture.
The mind jumps to conclusions on what it already knows or think it knows.
Yet the mind can trick itself

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I fully agree that there are no wood fairies on any of these pictures but I still would like to see the bits that made the photographer 'think' there were as I can't see anything. Would it be possible to maybe circle those parts?
Or at least tell me where to look as I find this interesting but only see leaves.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

There are no wood fairies in any of these pictures. There does however appear (to some) to be something, which could be construed to be small creatures of some kind. Some see them right away, and some do not. For the most part, I have tried to center the subject in question. For you, and quite possibly others, I will upload either a crop of that section, or just circle the intended subject. The pictures are water-marked because another site where these pictures are published requires it. I'll post the edits later today.

My point is that we are all subject to our own perceptions of things, and they are not limited to only our vision. Our predispositions to believe in certain things (aliens, chem-trails, etc.) without conclusive evidence, is no different than another person's predisposition to believe in photos of questionable "creatures". Pareidolia they say, is a part of our survival instincts, and as such is part of our human nature.

Are some of us addicted to these pareidolic processes, and what is it's effect on us? Are we truly as threatened as we feel, or are we over-reacting to our survival instincts? What triggers this phenomenon?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I wonder about a lot of things; this is just one of them. The thread is meant for discussion and nothing more. I will however clarify the subjects of the photos, and also describe them somewhat.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

Here are the crops. Perhaps you will see the subject a little better in these. Some people can't see them anyway, due to color blindness or other differences in perception.

In this photo, the subject is a brownish orange figure with a distinct face, arm and hand. On it's back is a smaller, more human looking figure who's arm can also be seen.

This photo shows a brown face and perhaps part of a hand, amongst the green leaves.

This photo shows a wizard looking character climbing over a section of a tree stump.

This photo shows a figure behind the leaf, who appears to be shouting.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Michael Angelo was said to see the sculptures he carved already in the piece of marble or rock.
Artists see in their minds their creations before they manifest them on paper or canvas etc.
Conspiracy theorists gather information and cross reference that with other material -
A good conspiracy theorist is more of a researcher looking for the truth for things.

Some do put one and one together and make three but not always
When one learns the nature of beast one is dealing with you can predict it's behavior to a certain extent

But I think the real truth behind things is not always provable - One can just know things however
Yet the bigger truth is that no one can prove certain things to another
Every one must find their own proof to truly know something

edit on 4-8-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I'm not getting down on conspiracy theorists for sure. I happen to have that same disposition. My wife is an artist, and she has the "vision" you speak of. She sees things I can't in just about everything. I suppose I'm similar in some way, because when I write poetry or songs, they tend to write themselves after I get the first line written. I spend a lot of time with the first line, but after that I never think about where it's going; it just goes. I have religious beliefs that I can't prove as well, but I will defend them vehemently, so I do agree with you.

Is it our survival instinct alone that throws up the red flags, or is it a conscious act? I guess this is where I'm going with this, and I'm not sure any of us has the answer. I enjoy thinking about things like this I guess, whether the answers come or not. Thanks for the excellent discussion...

new topics

top topics

join