It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World is just awesome: Planet Sized heat sink

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Our planet is truly amazing...It takes everything we as humanity can throw at it and yet it is able to maintain a equilibrium for all life.

There are many global warming threads and complex theories to attempt and remedy the increasing amounts of green house gases we pump into our atmosphere. But, the planet has another ace up its sleeve to combat global warming, far more aces then you would find in a deck of cards.

Their are many natural processes on our planet that help combat the influx of larger amount of green houses gases, in particular CO2. Sure we have trees that absorb CO2 for respiration converting it, with the help of sunlight, into usable O2.

How about a more obvious feature of our planet acting as a giant heat sink....? The ocean, and not in necessarily way you think. The ocean can literally pull CO2 from our atmosphere and lock it away.

A team of scientists from the UK and Australia has shed new light on the mysterious mechanism by which the Southern Ocean sequesters carbon from the atmosphere. Winds, vast whirlpools and ocean currents interact to produce localized funnels up to 1000 km across, which plunge dissolved carbon into the deep ocean and lock it away for centuries. Critically, these processes themselves – and the Southern Ocean's ability to affect global warming caused by human activities – could be sensitive to climate variability in as-yet-unknown ways.

1000km across....

Through numerous subduction "hot spots" the ocean is about to funnel large amounts of CO2 to the oceans depths via eddies, stretch to potentially 1000km in diameter.

If we could harness this ability....

Understanding these subduction pathways fully is key to predicting how climate change might alter the Southern Ocean's carbon sequestering capabilities.

Perhaps we can condense excess CO2 and lock it away in the depths of our oceans to naturally disperse over time or perhaps give us enough time to adjust our current paradigm.

Source

This could be a critical aspect to our understanding of our planet to better predict future climate changes or help us master it

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
And great thread!

Marking this for further research,Thank you!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
awesome find s n f

I think the earth is alive and aware... the sun as well... maybe in a different dimension they are completely different and we are fleas

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Looks like the industrial world has caught on to such processes and have begun the process to see if this is a viable solution for the time being.

In an attempt to address global warming, a handful of power plants are capturing carbon dioxide during the energy-generation process, liquefying the gas under high pressure and piping it to geologic storage sites miles away.

Source

However, possible ramifications of such a practice could be disastrous with a complete expulsions of the condensed gas from the deep.

EDIT:
However, it looks like the theory of trapping condensed CO2 has some merit

Harvard University professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences Daniel Schrag addressed some of these concerns in a 2006 PNAS paper, in which he suggested storing carbon dioxide in porous sediment hundreds of meters below the sea floor in deep parts of the ocean. Stored at this depth, under higher pressure and temperatures, the carbon dioxide should be less buoyant and remain trapped indefinitely

Some of the greatest ideas mankind can think of seems to have already been established on our planet for millions and millions of years

edit on 3-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Wow that is awesome.. S+F!
Maybe one day the earth won't have enough carbon dioxide..
And the Ocean will save our arses yet again?

This complex, balanced eco-system we call earth is badass!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Am I incorrect in thinking this has been known for a long time

Maybe not of the extent which they can be in size, but I'm pretty sure scientists are well aware that a good chunk of the CO2 is dealt with by the world's oceans.

This still doesn't change the fact that CO2 levels in the atmosphere are rising every year...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

True, scientists have know that the oceans depths lock in portions of our planets CO2, however the processes involved were relatively unknown.

From what i understand, if we could better understand or harness the processes, we could potential delay or prevent future global warming and gain a better understanding of our planet.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

It sure is complex. When you think of equilibrium, you think of balance. However, this is not like putting two equal weights on either side of a scale.

Their are billions of processes that rely on this balance, and thus far the planet as appeared to handle every variable we can throw at it.

Interesting point you make, perhaps in the future perhaps we are on a CO2 shortage and we once again return to the oceans depths for an answer and release all that stored CO2, for what ever reason we may need it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What affect would all that extra Co2 have on marine life? Instead of trying to think of a way to disposed of CO2 by dumping in the ocean like radioactive waste and disrupting that ecosystem even more we should be trying to think of ways to cut back on CO2 emissions.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Agreed.

It causes ocean acidification which brings us back to square one....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What happens to all of that co2 when the earth decides to belch ?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JustXeno

Both global warming and the Antarctic ozone hole increase the temperature gradient between the equator and the pole, which intensifies the southern hemisphere winds. Climate models predict that stronger winds could stir up deep waters, especially in violent seas such as the Southern Ocean, and result in a net release of carbon back into the atmosphere.

What the poster doesn't understand is that this is a process already taking place. The carbon that humans have put out has already exceeded the ocean's ability to absorb them, even with mechanisms such as these. he is trying to pretend that this is new.

What the article states it that global warming, might actually alter that effect.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by JustXeno

Both global warming and the Antarctic ozone hole increase the temperature gradient between the equator and the pole, which intensifies the southern hemisphere winds. Climate models predict that stronger winds could stir up deep waters, especially in violent seas such as the Southern Ocean, and result in a net release of carbon back into the atmosphere.

What the poster doesn't understand is that this is a process already taking place. The carbon that humans have put out has already exceeded the ocean's ability to absorb them, even with mechanisms such as these. he is trying to pretend that this is new.

What the article states it that global warming, might actually alter that effect.

Excuse me? I do not understand? Perhaps you are the one who does not understand. I posted the article which is to date, that scientists have identified the locations of the processes and how we can but understand the impact we are having on them.

I made the connection to utilize these natural processes once we fully understand them. Please do not be so ignorant.

Want to compare credentials?? Please show me yours and i will show your mine. Do not be so closed minded.

I was drawing your very short attention span to this recent news, next time you want to criticize perhaps you better have a clearer understanding of what your arguing.

Edit: I do not mean to put you down, but please do not assume anything. I hope you do not use the same reasoning in your real life, it will get you in trouble. Just some friendly advice

edit on 3-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Furthermore, do you not subscribe to any kind of critical analysis? Look at what is proposed by an article and think of counter points to what has been stated?

Next time you think you are being smart, please realize you are just copying and pasting someones work

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They already do understand it and are feigning ignorance. The corporation fronts for science keep putting forth the wrong scientific models based on thereom ad nauseum and having artists render processes that they have not observed and cannot even prove, in particle science, when everything is a wave. And though real studies and experimental work has shown other conclusions, they get ridiculed. With our erroneous science, its pretty hard to understand the universe and its wave mechanism and the magnetic electric model that is truly powering the universe and earth's grid and core.

Magnetic Current Stirs "Electrons" - John Searl's SEG (Research the info in the Description)

freeenergynews.com...

With their scalar technology they can instigate alot of the earth changes.

I don't consider the sinkholes to be natural events.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I don't consider the sinkholes to be natural events.

Please explain how you've concluded this.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Very interesting clip, thanks for sharing. How are you relating this to the topic at hand? That at some point free energy devices will power everything thus reducing the impact we have on the environment?.

new topics

top topics

join