It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New snake species found in AP (India)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Interesting how many species remain to be discoverd.

Of the four, the latest one sighted on July 16 at Kapila Theertham forest abutting the city flabbergasted the researchers and officials. It is found to be of colubridae family and ‘coluber’ genera, but has strikingly different features from its nearest species ‘coluber gracilis’, which too was sighted last in Pune district of Maharashtra and Asirgarh of Madhya Pradesh, but never in southern India.

LINK
edit on 3-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add image

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Interesting; From the same link:

So far, the Forest Department has identified 27 species of snakes, 12 types of lizards and 13 amphibians. In the last two months alone, slender coral snake (calliophis melanurus) of the elapidae family, brown vine snake (ahaetulla puverulenta) of colubridae family and Eliot’s shieldtail (uropeltis elliot) of the uropeltidae family were sighted.

Sounds like many more specie are waiting out there. Just when we think we know......... Doesn't look poisonous although the article doesn't say. The head does not appear to have the triangular shape.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Doesn't look poisonous although the article doesn't say. The head does not appear to have the triangular shape.
True although it remains to be seen how much potent the toxin can be if not lethal. Generally most tropical species have a defense mechanism against a wide variety of species to defend itself from.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
That's no snake...

THIS... is a snake!

Anyways that new snake looks good ;-p I like it, except how it looses its spots near the second half. Reminds be of Ligers, and zonkeys.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Star and Flag for sharing the news

It's always nice to find new species, especially in a world where we are killing so many off.

As the other poster said there are probably a ton of other species out there waiting to be discovered but it always amazes me.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

What you say about tropical snakes is true. I did do a search and could not find any information about venom for the snake you pictured, however in looking up the family I found this:

1. a broad family including only nonvenomous snakes, containing about two-thirds of all living species. It includes the bullsnakes, garter snakes, and water snakes as well as many other species.
A relative of the snake you pictured is also called a racer, so does not appear to be venomous, which is a good thing
It is a lovely snake, reminds me of a snake we have here, in the US, a member of the King snake family.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Always great to meet a new species, especially of snake!
Poisonous snakes don't have round pupils but elongated slits like the rattler in my avatar.
The triangular head is also a good clue but doesn't apply 100% of the time.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by hp1229

What you say about tropical snakes is true. I did do a search and could not find any information about venom for the snake you pictured, however in looking up the family I found this:

1. a broad family including only nonvenomous snakes, containing about two-thirds of all living species. It includes the bullsnakes, garter snakes, and water snakes as well as many other species.
A relative of the snake you pictured is also called a racer, so does not appear to be venomous, which is a good thing
It is a lovely snake, reminds me of a snake we have here, in the US, a member of the King snake family.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Well its just discovered until they publish more information. More than likely it might contain some form of venom as generally there are lot more poisonous snakes in the Indian subcontinent. More than likely what you referred to is correct and possibly it just might belong to a non-poisonous species more than likely a cross breeding result? I used to have a garter snake as a pet looooooong time ago. Gave it away to a friend of mine after one of the relatives almost had a heart attack after seeing the harmless gold fish eating tiny snake

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thanks. Would love to see a centralized place (more than likely in UK?) that might have catalogued all the species found in the world so far.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Interesting fact. Learned something just now

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Typed like Mick Dundee

I'm sure there are bunch undiscovered possibly down under too ?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Wow thats a reticulated python. Longest snake in the world. Second largest. Also known for having a nasty disposition. I don't care how docile that snake is supposed to be in that photo. That lady is stupid, really Stupid. For letting her little kids play with it. You wouldn't let them do that with a tiger either so why a snake with half the intelligence.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

It's not venomous. However don't think the shape of the head is all you need to know to figure out whether a snake is venomous or not.

triangular shaped heads are always a good place to start. But cobras and Coral snakes have "regular" shaped heads and are very venomous.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Not a snake guy thats for sure.....mr snake meet mr colt.....

The coral snake has a non venomous counterpart with similar colours...
I wonder of there may be two similar types with this guy too.....
Corals are indentified by the colour bands...
I doont remember the exact rythme but it one colour touches yellow yer supposed to "kill the fellow"
(little help here?)
As regards to fishing garter snakes, we had one that regularly scooped a godfish from the outdoor pond till we caught him one morening....took the fish right out of his mouth and put it back in the water....
Ithas a scar the shape of the snakes mouth forever after.....i thought maybe acid burn?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Yep. Imagine that snake losing it's cool on one of those kids. They'd be squeezed to death before the lady can scream "some body help me!!!"

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by DaRAGE

Typed like Mick Dundee

I'm sure there are bunch undiscovered possibly down under too ?

AHAHAH

I'm not sure... I don't think anyone is sure. There probably is. It's a big place Australia and a lot of inland and desert and vast spaces where not many people roam. But... Undiscovered, so cant give a definate yes ;-p

new topics

top topics

join