It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's Key to Olympic Medals: Refrigerators For Winners, Labor Camps for Losers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Upon returning home, gold medal athletes like Kim Un-Guk and An Gum-Ae would be rewarded with handsome prize money, an apartment, a car, and additional perks like refrigerators and television sets.

But poor performances, especially losing to their archenemy nations like the United States or South Korea, have consequences. Rumors of athletes being sent directly to labor camps upon arriving home are not confirmed, but it is a common procedure to open "review meetings" after the sports events in which participants "assess" their own and each other's games, said Kim Yo-Han.

If during that process the person is determined "disloyal" to their Dear Leader, the athlete is likely to be expelled from the sports organization and at times sent to labor camps.

abcnews.go.com...

Reminds me of the sixties were Russian's that did not do well went to gulags...just a rumor.

edit on 3-8-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Rumors

i think thats the key word here.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I am very surprised that we have not heard of North Korean athletes attempting to escape their Olympic compound and make a break for freedom. If one of them does badly, maybe they will try it. Whatever happens in any other country could not be as bad as what would happen when they get back home. But family ties and all that may prevent them from trying. Especially considering the government would likely punish their family back in NK.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The sad thing is that when you hear a rumour coming out of North Korea there is bound to be something similar and even more messed up happening inside the nation/prison.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I hope not , I feel even the North Koreans can't be that bad. But than again who knows???

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

Rumors

i think thats the key word here.

With a pinch of western propaganda, of course...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I wonder if they let the winners keep the money they get.

Could you imagine what you could do with $25 k in NK?

top topics

join