It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thankfully some of you realize this is unconstitutional.

I'll be remembering who stood up and spoke out against freedom because they disagreed with the opinions of others based mostly on religious reasons.

Thanks to the few posters who stood up for freedom today and defended the rights of people that we don't agree with.

The anti-freedom crowd should be ashamed of the despicable nature they exhibit, and the cheap and underhanded tactics they are using to try to get back at their political opponents.

Whats worse?
Westboro trolling folks?
Or trampling free speech for everyone?

Shouldn't you folks have at least waited till winter time when it's cold to burn the constitution in the fireplace?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Westboro Church is America's freedom of speech canary in the coal mine. We should be worried if they are denied their right to protest. This is not a blow to WBC this is a blow to the constitution.

And if you're Agnostic or Atheist then you should support WBC's ability to voice their opinions. The WBC is the best anti-religion public relations campaign in the US.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
These protesters need to be shot, dead!

So basically this will devolve into a "see who can pass the most laws first" so that they can "legally execute their political opponents first".

Who will be lining up who in the new holocaust? I guess we will have to wait and see!

Welcome to the new Reich.
Agree or get shot!

Freaking disgusting. This Nazi crap has gone way overboard.
Saying someone should be shot for "saying" something?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I'll be remembering who stood up and spoke out against freedom because they disagreed with the opinions of others based mostly on religious reasons.

Thanks to the few posters who stood up for freedom today and defended the rights of people that we don't agree with.

The anti-freedom crowd should be ashamed of the despicable nature they exhibit, and the cheap and underhanded tactics they are using to try to get back at their political opponents.

Whats worse?
Westboro trolling folks?

Shouldn't you folks have at least waited till winter time when it's cold to burn the constitution in the fireplace?

I do not think anyone should be protesting right on top of any funeral no matter who is protesting and no matter who is being buried. It is pointless and mean but accomplishes nothing. I have no problem with that kind of uncivilized action being outlawed in a society that has no room for it.

I am willing to listen if you want to convince me otherwise.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

www.huffingtonpost.com

Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Its about damned time US Congress gets involved in this. These families and US Military Members who gave up their lives DO NOT need some podunk Baptist Church Group being stupid and disrupting their goodbyes.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

This is just another step down the slippery slope in taking more of our freedoms away.
The freedom to protest had no restrictions, but the Government and their lackeys are slowly taking that away.

Disagree or agree with their protests is irrelevant.

There will be future protests you may want to engage in, but because of policies such as these, others will object to the protests and the cycle will continue with the criminal elite obliging them.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Whats worse?
Westboro trolling folks?

Their constitutional right hasn't been stripped. They are limited from protesting 2 hours before and 2 hours after a specific military funeral. If this in your mind is equal to having your rights completely stripped then you need to relax.

A lot of you guys are fear mongering and saying "THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS THE REMOVAL OF OUR RIGHTS!!!"
Calm down. They are simply restricted from disrupting a solitary moment for private citizens. If they chose to protest before the funeral - so be it - and after the funeral they can do that as well - and any other place in the enitre United States.

Our Founding Fathers would have found it insulting that someone abused their right to protest to disturb someones else's funeral. Those of you who can't see that should be ashamed of yourselves.

There is such a thing called Civility. That is the entire point of our Government and Constitution. To enforce civility in accordance with the rule of law. What the WBC is not civility, it is wrong - and everyone in here knows it's wrong and abusive.

edit on 4-8-2012 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Bull Crap!
When I was in Iraq during the Gulf War, I was not helping the rights of American's but making criminals like Cheney and Bush richer, and helping them murder millions of Iraqi's

It makes it worse that these soldiers died protecting rights, and yet they (the protesters) are abusing a right that soldiers protected and died for.

-SAP-
edit on 3-8-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You hit the nail on the head Beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

I understand it's a free speech issue, but the issue about protesting at funerals, I am against. Everyone can have their free speech, but making a public display in front of sad and upset family members, is just flat out wrong imo.

-SAP-

It's wrong. It's in bad taste. It shows poor thought and a lack of sensitivity and intelligence. It's piss-poor and shows a lack of character.

But the Constitution does not have a clause stating that only "smart and well thought out" protests can occur.

Even idiots are allowed to protest.
(re; NBP, KKK)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Then grow some thick skin if you can't take it!
If other's become offended on what I have to say on a poster board, then the problems lies with you.

Where does it end, where I can call on the Nanny state to help create laws that trample on others rights.
I am offended by many things close to where I work, on the internet, and elsewhere.

Perhaps we should create more laws so I am not offended and my rights trampled?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is your opinion!
And they are also entitled to theirs as well.
If you want to get into morals and personal responsibility, then there are bigger fish to fry with the Criminal Banks on Wall Street, Criminal Corporations in bed with our government, and of course the criminal politicians themselves, that are taking away our freedoms daily, while you lap it up.

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by pheonix358

Are you mental? The most hated speech is the speech needed to be defended. No one bats an eye at popular speech.......

There is a time and a place for all things under the sky. A funeral is not the place for protests. The practice is sick and depraved. It shows a lack of moral fortitude, the absence of dignity. It is an outrage! You demonstrate the idea of free speech without responsibility, without morals and certainly without dignity.

P

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
While I certainly don't agree with what the Westboro Baptist Church does, this bill tramples all over their First Amendment rights on grounds of free speech and freedom of religion.

I can see this one going to the Supreme Court.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
That is your opinion!
And they are also entitled to theirs as well.
If you want to get into morals and personal responsibility, then there are bigger fish to fry with the Criminal Banks on Wall Street, Criminal Corporations in bed with our government, and of course the criminal politicians themselves, that are taking away our freedoms daily, while you lap it up.

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by pheonix358

Are you mental? The most hated speech is the speech needed to be defended. No one bats an eye at popular speech.......

There is a time and a place for all things under the sky. A funeral is not the place for protests. The practice is sick and depraved. It shows a lack of moral fortitude, the absence of dignity. It is an outrage! You demonstrate the idea of free speech without responsibility, without morals and certainly without dignity.

P

Of course you can, and I totally agree with you. However, there are no Constitutional restrictions on what is implied as Free Speech, so it's likely that this will be overturned by the Supreme Court as a direct violation of the First Amendement on Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion grounds.
edit on 4-8-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Their constitutional right hasn't been stripped. They are limited from protesting 2 hours before and 2 hours after a specific military funeral. If this in your mind is equal to having your rights completely stripped then you need to relax.

Actually, there is no time limit on Free Speech. In order to be truly free, you have to allow the folks that you disagree with to have their opinions and their protests.

While you (and I) may disagree with the Westboro Church's methods, the Constitution of the United States protects their right to this, at whatever time they wish.

If you're comfortable with the US Government saying at which times you can and can't exercise your Constitutionally guaranteed rights, then by all means, let this bill pass without protest. The Constitution is a 24/7 piece of paper, not a paper of convenience.

I actually find it incredible that Americans need to be educated by a CANADIAN as to what their Constitution is all about. Just sayin

edit on 4-8-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

A restriction on one, is a restriction on all.

Everyone here should know this!

I don't agree with people yelling obscenities at a corpse either, BUT.....

Do you want a Free Country OR NOT?

* How do you know WBC isn't an inside job to remove more rights?

And so the people will cheer for their own enslavement......

makes me wonder.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

I never said I can't "take it", I've never been affected by WBC actions... I outlined why I think their behavior shouldn't be considered free speech, but the consensus here seems to be "rights" before "what is right". I will take note of that and learn from it.

I will say, however, that anyone implying any soldier has died "for our freedoms" in the past decade is kidding themselves.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
reply to post by jacobe001

I never said I can't "take it", I've never been affected by WBC actions... I outlined why I think their behavior shouldn't be considered free speech, but the consensus here seems to be "rights" before "what is right". I will take note of that and learn from it.

I will say, however, that anyone implying any soldier has died "for our freedoms" in the past decade is kidding themselves.

Unfortunately, "What is Right" in this case means the first step towards removing freedom of speech for all if it's allowed to stand.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

Well said.
I have gone to funerals for former military guys that got killed when I was overseas in Iraq, and we had protesters going on about the Iraq war, and I did support their free speech.

The enemy of my freedoms and free speech is not that church, but those politicians and those who support them from taking away more of our rights.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Of course you don't mind losing the right to protests at funerals, and others don't mind if we loose the right to protest (insert here). It's a slippery slope your going down and making yourself the enemy of freedom loving people, which our criminal politicians have already taken much away.

Originally posted by nunyadammm

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Their right of free speech is no less valuable or critical to our overall freedom than mine.

There are certain types of speech that are already against the law.
I really do not mind losing the right to protest funerals.
I cannot see any just need to ever do so for anyone in civilized society.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Yep, that is correct. You are right, I have been previously wrong. I feel ashamed as I gather the burnt ashes of the Constitution...

The fact that the First Amendment only applies to public property shouldn't factor in when considering this at all.

It would get in the way of us defending our rights.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join