It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you being played and manipulated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Would you even know if you were being manipulated at the time? I doubt that many of us could see the deception. I loved the post about the Gentle-Person guide to trolls and how they work. I was browsing online today and ran across this. I found it interesting and I see where some of these tactics are being played out in our world today. I am still learning and trying to deprogram myself from being effected by psyops.

www.psychologicalharassment.com...

The tactics used to create undue psychological and social influence, often by means involving anxiety and stress, fall into seven main categories.

TACTIC 1

Increase suggestibility and "soften up" the individual through specific hypnotic or other suggestibility-increasing techniques such as: Extended audio, visual, verbal, or tactile fixation drills, Excessive exact repetition of routine activities, Sleep restriction and/or Nutritional restriction.

TACTIC 2

Establish control over the person's social environment, time and sources of social support by a system of often-excessive rewards and punishments. Social isolation is promoted. Contact with family and friends is abridged, as is contact with persons who do not share group-approved attitudes. Economic and other dependence on the group is fostered.

TACTIC 3

Prohibit disconfirming information and non supporting opinions in group communication. Rules exist about permissible topics to discuss with outsiders. Communication is highly controlled. An "in-group" language is usually constructed.

TACTIC 4

Make the person re-evaluate the most central aspects of his or her experience of self and prior conduct in negative ways. Efforts are designed to destabilize and undermine the subject's basic consciousness, reality awareness, world view, emotional control and defense mechanisms. The subject is guided to reinterpret his or her life's history and adopt a new version of causality.

TACTIC 5

Create a sense of powerlessness by subjecting the person to intense and frequent actions and situations which undermine the person's confidence in himself and his judgment.

TACTIC 6

Create strong aversive emotional arousals in the subject by use of nonphysical punishments such as intense humiliation, loss of privilege, social isolation, social status changes, intense guilt, anxiety, manipulation and other techniques.

TACTIC 7

Intimidate the person with the force of group-sanctioned secular psychological threats. For example, it may be suggested or implied that failure to adopt the approved attitude, belief or consequent behavior will lead to severe punishment or dire consequences such as physical or mental illness, the reappearance of a prior physical illness, drug dependence, economic collapse, social failure, divorce, disintegration, failure to find a mate, etc.

Coercive psychological systems are behavioral change programs which use psychological force in a coercive way to cause the learning and adoption of an ideology or designated set of beliefs, ideas, attitudes, or behaviors. The essential strategy used by the operators of these programs is to systematically select, sequence and coordinate many different types of coercive influence, anxiety and stress-producing tactics over continuous periods of time. In such a program the subject is forced to adapt in a series of tiny "invisible" steps. Each tiny step is designed to be sufficiently small so the subjects will not notice the changes in themselves or identify the coercive nature of the processes being used. The subjects of these tactics do not become aware of the hidden organizational purpose of the coercive psychological program until much later, if ever. These tactics are usually applied in a group setting by well intentioned but deceived "friends and allies" of the victim. This keeps the victim from putting up the ego defenses we normally maintain in known adversarial situations. The coercive psychological influence of these programs aim to overcome the individual's critical thinking abilities and free will - apart from any appeal to informed judgment. Victims gradually lose their ability to make independent decisions and exercise informed consent. Their critical thinking, defenses, cognitive processes, values, ideas, attitudes, conduct and ability to reason are undermined by a technological process rather than by meaningful free choice, rationality, or the inherent merit or value of the ideas or propositions being presented. How Do They Work?

My first thought was about this Chick-Fil-A issue and how many right wingers don't understand that it is not the governments business to sanction marriage contracts using religious doctrine... (just my opinion)

These tactics are being used against Syria today.....

and here is another list of psychological goodies here.....

www.psychologicalharassment.com...

Psychological Manipulation

As indicated on the home page, psychological harassment and psychological manipulation "mind control" can induce psychological and physical disorders.

When an individual is targeted, the level of harassment usually begins slowly and increases with time.

Anytime someone interacts with you they can influence your thoughts and also manipulate your thoughts.

Usually, people "tune out" the conversations around them. If you are in a crowded room and someone calls out your name they will probably attract your attention and the same goes for other specific words or sounds.

edit on 3-8-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Tip of the iceberg. Might as well just look into how the Matrix is real (not quiet as envisioned in the films, but same general idea) in this excerpt from Cooper's Behold a Pale Horse, Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars:

Historical Introduction

Silent weapon technology has evolved from Operations Research (O.R.), a strategic and tactical methodology developed under the Military Management in England during World War II. The original purpose of Operations Research was to study the strategic and tactical problems of air and land defense with the objective of effective use of limited military resources against foreign enemies (i.e., logistics).

It was soon recognized by those in positions of power that the same methods might be useful for totally controlling a society. But better tools were necessary.

Pretty much our entire social structure and interrelated systems are a vast play and manipulations.

EDIT:
Coincidentally, I started reading the book just before The Matrix hit theaters, with this section being the first chapter. I honestly left the theater shaking somewhat seeing the concept play out in film

edit on 8/3/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I understand. I just never wanted to believe that the world was built on all of these control mechanisms where if you rebel against the societal norm the system eats you alive because you went against the system of control more than anything...

Love the Matrix and it is a great metaphor for todays society.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I also never wanted to believe or understand it when I started to catch whiffs of it, since I was raised being taught more or less the opposite about how the world is good, my country was great, and our leaders were trustworthy and deserving of praise and respect, with society punishing the bad and rewarding the good.

Illusions shattered. Meh.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

My first thought was about this Chick-Fil-A issue and how many right wingers don't understand that it is not the governments business to sanction marriage contracts using religious doctrine... (just my opinion)

It's also not the gov's business to make sure every company supports gay marriage either. Some companies support it, some don't, and I ain't got time to keep track. Welcome to USA where opinions vary and everyone gets in a hissy over said opinions.

More important issues right now are probably Iran, Syria, Mexican election protests, martial law police state in Anaheim, the LIBOR scandal and on and on and on. But most people haven't even been following those issues bcause OMG SOME DUDE SAID GAY!

Chick Feel Ya is this years election year distraction and was probably orchestrated on purpose. It's funny how every election year they use abortion and gay marriage as a big distraction from the fact that we're a whole closer to global nuclear destruction or economic collapse than we'd like to imagine. And what's more amazing is that people keep falling for it!

It's called a wedge issue people. Look it up and stop falling for it. Look up how many of the last elections abortion has been debated? Now look up how many times have they made abortion illegal? Now compare those two numbers. Now compare that number to this. US Wars

edit on 3-8-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Looking at the list of ways I had one thought.

As I get older I get more comfortible in my own skin. Therefore as most of those tactics come my direction my FU switch gets flipped.

So in the end no one is controlling me. Excluding my female but that's a cross we all bare.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
Would you even know if you were being manipulated at the time? I doubt that many of us could see the deception. I loved the post about the Gentle-Person guide to trolls and how they work. I was browsing online today and ran across this. I found it interesting and I see where some of these tactics are being played out in our world today. I am still learning and trying to deprogram myself from being effected by psyops.

TACTIC 2
Establish control over the person's social environment, time and sources of social support by a system of often-excessive rewards and punishments. Social isolation is promoted. Contact with family and friends is abridged, as is contact with persons who do not share group-approved attitudes. Economic and other dependence on the group is fostered.

TACTIC 3
Prohibit disconfirming information and non supporting opinions in group communication. Rules exist about permissible topics to discuss with outsiders. Communication is highly controlled. An "in-group" language is usually constructed.

My first thought was that you can't take somebody somewhere that they either haven't been to before or don't want to go to in the first place. That, and if you don't stand for something you're going to fall for anything. All these people that are being manipulated? They don't don't have a solid belief system in place that they truly believe in that prevents the manipulation to begin with. In other words, some people are easily swayed. Most in fact are. There are precious few people left in the world who have strong and positive convictions to the point where these tactics don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Turn those tactics around though and you have a different story.

Let me put it to you this way. It's my undersatnding that these tactics have been honed and perfected since World War II. Is that about right? 70 years it took them to get to this point where all they had to do was pay attention to how a parent raises a child in a positive fashion, turn the positive actions into negative coersions, turn those "methods" into "tactics", and there you go. You have psychological manipulation.

It seems to me that the key to all these tactics lie in steps 2 and 3 which I quoted. When you wake up in the morning, which do you remember doing first? Seeing something and then thinking about it or thinking and THEN seeing? I don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking the second I wake up. I'm always on. What makes tactics 2 and 3 work are the manipulation of words to change how you perceive things. The exact opposite of how you raise a child. With children everything has to be visual stimulation because they don't understand words yet. If you want to change the way an adult behaves, IMO, you need words first and then visual, or physical, stimuli. The latter won't work without the former.

When you raise a child you're helping them evolve. They're a blank piece of paper that you, as a parent, have to fill in until they're capable of doing it themselves. You're making them what they will become until they can expound upon what you did in order to finish the job. The tactics outlined here don't involve writing a story, but rather editing it. They're not helping people evolve. They're making people de-volve. And this is why I have such a hard time believing that people allow this to happen to themselves. Do people really have no sense of self which would allow this to happen in the first place?

What these tactics do, ultimately, is breed hate. Look at the world around you. Take everyone of those tactics and, for every negative connotation you read, if you change those to something positive you're going to have a formula in place that breeds love instead. I can all but guarantee it. And if I were to use those tactics that you quoted for anything, I'd use them to make love. Not hate. But first, you have to manipulate the words in those tactics if you want to have a positive effect on something. Besides which, your methods might be a little suspect, but there's no one who would argue with the end result. No one.

Here's a link to the homepage of the link you put up. That is a VERY informative site.

www.psychologicalharassment.info...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-8-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

So in the end no one is controlling me. Excluding my female but that's a cross we all bare.

I wouldn't call it a cross to bear so much as a sacrifice worth making. As long as she makes the same.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: Forgot the cool guy

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

If you look at how both of the major political parties work they emulate the entire list. Number 3 really caught my eye when it comes to how political parties operate....

TACTIC 3

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Do you turn on your television? Radio? Read a newspaper? Participate on ATS?

If you even step outside of your home you are being manipulated. Period.

Good luck avoiding it unless you go live in a cave some place!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

hello, thanks for bringing this subject up as my new boss has used nearly all of those tactics on me recently, but luckily i know what he's trying to do and its not going to work on me. i just turn these things back round on him and he doesn't like it one bit,

although he has made one or two very offensive comments about my appearance, making embarrassing comments in front of 4 other people at work about my weight that suggested i have an eating disorder, which i DO NOT, he said this with a smirk on his face and then just pretended he's only said it out of concern, after i'd calmed down i decided to tell him that his comment was really offensive as he was suggesting i look ill, to which he said, 'well you do, and thats the truth'.

i didn't let it upset me as i am finally happy with who i am, but only the week before he had heard me talking to my colleague about how those sort of comments used to upset me, so he took a mental note and then tried to use it on me, this is why i was so angered, now he's started telling the other girl at work that she's got a fat belly, again this started just after she mentioned she wanted to lose weight for her holiday. and she in no ways has a fat belly, it really really upset her alot,

he's playing all of us in so many ways and i keep encouraging my colleagues not to let him push them around and to stand up for themselves, the one good thing at work at the moment is that we have all become closer since we've realised he's just try to manipulate us and was trying to play us all off against each other, but now its not working and its winding him up,

edit on 3-8-2012 by Minnie1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
[quote]

Pretty much our entire social structure and interrelated systems are a vast play and manipulations.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,

~William Shakespear

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie

???? I never said anything about avoiding it.... just that I recognize that it is there and many don't have a clue...

if you never realize that it is there and no one speaks of it ....... you don't know

This living in a cave comment is just another type of control and deflection ...

but this is what you often get when trying to provide information to people

some who might be well meaning come off as trolls with a snide sarcastic remark.....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman

More important issues right now are probably Iran, Syria, Mexican election protests, martial law police state in Anaheim, the LIBOR scandal and on and on and on. But most people haven't even been following those issues bcause OMG SOME DUDE SAID GAY!

Chick Feel Ya is this years election year distraction and was probably orchestrated on purpose. It's funny how every election year they use abortion and gay marriage as a big distraction from the fact that we're a whole closer to global nuclear destruction or economic collapse than we'd like to imagine. And what's more amazing is that people keep falling for it!

It's called a wedge issue people. Look it up and stop falling for it. Look up how many of the last elections abortion has been debated? Now look up how many times have they made abortion illegal? Now compare those two numbers. Now compare that number to this. US Wars

edit on 3-8-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

Now look at me, now look at the horse, now look back at me, now look back at the horse, now back to me and see I Magically conjured something out of thin air. Old Spice! What it is what your Grandfather used?

This is in no way detracting from what you said. I am agreeing with you. Just reducing the argument to absurdity so that others can see it too.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman

It's also not the gov's business to make sure every company supports gay marriage either. Some companies support it, some don't, and I ain't got time to keep track. Welcome to USA where opinions vary and everyone gets in a hissy over said opinions.

Somebody is having a good laugh some where. That a country like ours with its constitution and philosophy can be turned on a dine with these "issues" while the foxes dont even bother to mask themselves or tippy toe around the shadows but strut right out in broad daylight. Someone is laughing I tell you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie

???? I never said anything about avoiding it.... just that I recognize that it is there and many don't have a clue...

if you never realize that it is there and no one speaks of it ....... you don't know

This living in a cave comment is just another type of control and deflection ...

but this is what you often get when trying to provide information to people

some who might be well meaning come off as trolls with a snide sarcastic remark.....

Allegory of the cave

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by subject1145

Thanks, It is very interesting how Plato and Socrates described basic mind control techniques...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

This is a really great topic because people need to stay vigilant and keep aware of methods people use (sometimes unknowingly even).

I will add a link I usually like to post because it will empower others:
logical fallacies

There are also some other great posts here, good thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's good to see that more of you are realizing the mechanics of manipulation by way of utilizing previous data uncovered by others who have done studies in the areas of sophisticated mind control. There is a wealth of documented information to assess that reveals undeniable truth of mind control.

Dark Sarcasm and Negitivity

I understand how others would find such things unbelievable, lost and distracted as they are by the hundreds of trivial things that revolve around their lives. All that can be done is to keep spreading this information and hope more people will come to realization.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Funny, I was expecting something completely different here.

Those tactics are exactly (exactly) the ones used by cults. It really could read "Tactics used by cults." As far as if they would work on a national level, hmmm, I'd have to review each of them and think of whether I see that happening.

...OK. Only some of those would work on a national level, such as restricting information.

Cult recruiting is a very fine art. It takes planning and tact and lots of control of variables. It is a fascinating subject. A book on the subject "Snapping: America's Epidemic of Sudden Personality Change" goes into detail exactly how cults lure people, hook them, and keep them. For a skeptic or cynic like me, those things would never work. I'm just that suspicious. (I guess it comes in handy once in a while.) But, there have been intelligent people who were well paid in their careers who have fallen victim. Not that that means if you get paid well, that you are intelligent. Some people are just good natured and thus would not suspect. That's the key. You make them believe that they can trust you. It takes a certain charismatic person to do that. Not everyone can do it. The cults choose certain people and train them to do it. It's scary how developed their systems are. It's really as thought-out as running a business.

I really really recommend that book. It's fascinating to hear the stories. You get to hear about Jim Jones and also the Branch Davidians.

There is some overlap between tactics governments use and cults, and of course, there is also overlap between how some religions operate. The book discusses Scientology. It is one of the worst (and most efficient) cults.

The scary thing is that the tactics are all the same. You hook them then break their personality down, then you lift them up with the remedy. They become hooked as you basically let them treat you like a child. They "scold you" then "hug you" (literally sometimes) and praise that you are working the system right. They use sleep deprivation as a tool also (some cults).

Check out the book. You might be able to read some chapters for free, or get it from the library like I did. Talking about it makes me want to read it again. They also discuss whether or not people should be free to join cults, knowing that the tactics are so powerful. They discuss "deprogrammers" who basically kidnap the person for the family and try to get them back to their former life. They do it by asking them certain questions.

Very fascinating topic. Go check it out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join