It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner with suspected case of Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
God dammit this sounds just like a movie script.

I don't like it one bit.

It's called real life dude. Most times what you see in the movies is based on what happens in REAL LIFE.

Get used to it. This # has been going on for years...Ebola is nothing new.

PS. I hope you're not surprised that this is happening in Uganda..
edit on 5-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

I don't have the link handy, but I recall that there are a series of tests that look for certain enzymes and DNA fragments in the sample. And there is a lab in the Ugandan capital maintained by WHO/CDC specifically for the purpose of monitoring and testing Ebola. But, as you say, I don't know how long it takes to get the results. On the other hand, I recall that the negative results from Kenya came in rather quickly.

Thanks for the reply. Heres the thing as I understand it. I am sort of quoting portions of the book "The Hot Zone" and other times I am working from memory as I can't find the part in the book.

Ebola is from a family of viruses known as the "filoviruses". Marburg was the first filovirus to be discovered. The word Filovirus is Latin and means "thread virus". The filoviruses look alike, as if they are sisters, and they resemble no other virus on earth. While most viruses are ball-shaped particles that look like peppercorns, the thread viruses have been compared to strands of tangled rope, to hair, to worms, to snakes. When they appear in a great flooding mess, as they so often do when they have destroyed a victim, they look like a tub of spaghetti that has been dumped on the floor.
My quote from the book on pg. 37.

There are other Ebola type viruses like Zaire and Sudan. Zaire is the 90% kill ratio and the most deadly of all the filoviruses. It is a "slate wiper". All of these appear similar to each other and are hard to differentiate. They are also extremely small. From somewhere in the book I recall that a 100,000 individual virus particles can fit on the period at the end of this sentence.

So you can't just accept a sample of the virus in a test tube and identify it without first isolating it from the rest of the goo in the sample, culture it (to get a large enough sample to test), and then compare it under strict conditions to other "known" samples or, using other tests that use chemicals to make the virus glow certain colors in the dark under a microscope. This employs a control and positive / negative result that is a quick identifier of particular strains. But you need those known samples and a carefully controlled laboratory setting to guarantee the outcome.

The culture part of the identifying process is the longest part. The knowns are that freezer in the basement of the CDC and the controls are (hopefully) done correctly so as not to cross contaminate the whole process and return false results.

Each of the potential cases has to go thru this process in order to determine if they have contracted the virus or not. From what I understand it takes 7 days for the headache (the first symptom) to appear.

If they can employ electron microscopes that may obtain a picture of the beast like this:

But still doesn't differentiate between types of filovirus. The link below talks about the kind of testing they use to determine whether its ebola in the field. Near the bottom under "Diagnosis".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

My concern is somebody gets on a plane and all of the sudden we have Europe and other places infected..

Could be a really bad scene if this doesn't get under control.

~Tenth

If it got really bad I'm sure most countries would just seal their borders... or at least I hope so. It would make the most sense to not let anybody in or out of any country until a major virus epidemic was under control.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I figured that since H.C. started her tour one attack has already taken place on her entourage and since she was supposed to visit two of the places that have had the outbreaks it seems all too sinister.

Secretary Clinton has a busy itinerary during the next 10 days, including stops in South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya and South Africa. Source

Any news as to whether she has postponed her visits. Perhaps this was an attempt of bio warfare against her.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Another case in Tanzania;

usa.chinadaily.com.cn...

I hope this does not get out of hand.

Was HC in Tanzania to??

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
reply to post by Juggernog

Insects, carriers? Ive never heard of that.

The great plague (The black death) was primarily carried by rats, it was the fleas on the rats then biting humans that caused it to spread so wide, so the fleas (the insects) were the carriers that spread it so wide to humans. Perhaps this is why the outbreaks of diseases like this spread so well in hot countries like Uganda, there will be a lot more domestic parasitic insects there, such as mosquito's. In the western, developed nations I guess dog and cat fleas would be a bigger problem now although the amount of such parasitic insects has reduced significantly, especially over the last 20 years or so.

I don't see a Ebola pandemic happening unless it has been weaponised, however the variant does seem to have a longer infection stage before it becomes noticeable which could present some problems, I still don't see it spreading outside of its current location, well I really hope it does not.

As for the infected prisoner escaping, if it was a Hollywood plot it would be totally unbelievable, I mean I know Uganda has its problems but how could this guy have not been totally guarded? It beggars belief it really does.

And to those saying Ebola is hard to catch, at least 300 Ugandans would argue against that quite strongly, well they would if they were not fighting for their lives. It is a terrible virus, and we can only pray it does not mutate either naturally or with a scientific helping hand/ This really would be a PTB wet dream for population control if they could weaponise it

Maybe they did.

www.tetrahedron.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker46

Thanks for that link Nightstalker, I have always suspected that the whole HIV pandemic was manufactured. I find the possible links to the CIA interesting also, I had not considered this, to be honest I felt it was manufactured by a white South African group and designed to attack people with specific genes that are most prominent in coloured people, although the CIA having their mucky little finger stuck in there should really not be that much of a surprise.

Ebola though is far worse, if they weaponise that it could be a major, and I really do mean major devastation to the human population, and in a very short time frame, it could kill off 50 - 70% if the Earth's population, guess we can only pray they have not done it

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join