It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner with suspected case of Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Call me a ghoul, whatever, but I want testing with this ebola. I want to be infected, and I want to survive it, because I ate dirt when I was a kid. And, I want the other 90% of oxygen thieves to die.
Good being slightly autistic, innit??

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It may not be airborne, but I'd hate to think what various bodily fluids could do if somebody infected got to a busy location with very poorly maintained public restrooms or a large event using port-a-johns. It's not that unusual that people will overlook sanitary conditions because when you got to go you've GOT TO GO. And evidence of an ebola victim's symptoms being left everywhere might not look that far out of place considering how well some public toilet facilities are maintained.

If I had to quarantine a major city from a virus like that, after getting some lockdown on the known infected people... The public might not like it, but more than half of the restaurants and gas stations might end up shut down until they could pass daily inspection for having properly working fixtures and instituting sanitary practices. (Cleaning up every day with bleach, making sure soap and toiletries are available.)

Shame it would take an outbreak to wake up everyone regarding how many businesses willingly endanger the public health just in order to save a few bucks on some sundries and cleaning supplies.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Haha.. "treatable kind?" You mean like Ebola Sudan v.s. Ebola Zaire? In both cases you have a pretty good chances of dying even with treatment. There isn't a cure or anything just care which can make the difference. Zaire is the worst I do believe. If you get Ebola Zaire don't expect much.

Honestly, not much to worry about, this guy just ran off to die.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

It really doesn't work like that. Ebola is such a fast killer that people usually die very quickly and before they can spread it.

There was a case of a man with Ebola bleeding out on a plane. It happened and he was the only one infected. It's not easily transmissible without coming in contact with bodily fluids. The guy on the plan dropped all of his blood out through his bum and died there.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

My concern is somebody gets on a plane and all of the sudden we have Europe and other places infected..

Could be a really bad scene if this doesn't get under control.

~Tenth

You might find the opening pages of The Hot Zone relevant. An infected man named Charles Monet does just that. To this day they have no idea how the disease did not spread further from the plane passengers or the waiting room of the hospital where he died. Or as people at the CDC and USAMRIID euphemistically put it, "Crash and bleed out". Very fascinating and scary book that one. Highly recommended.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

It really doesn't work like that. Ebola is such a fast killer that people usually die very quickly and before they can spread it.

There was a case of a man with Ebola bleeding out on a plane. It happened and he was the only one infected. It's not easily transmissible without coming in contact with bodily fluids. The guy on the plan dropped all of his blood out through his bum and died there.

Whoops. Plague is actually spread from person to person. Thats why they call it plague. It does spread. Ebola sees human meat as purely a growth medium. It burns thru a population the way a fire consumes trees in a forest.

The worst part of ebola is that it literally dissolves human cell walls. As each cell in the body becomes infected it bursts forth "blocks" of new virus into the blood dream. This rupturing of all connective tissues means that in the end, the victim is oozing blood and bile from every orifice (even skin pores). Other symptoms include ones similar to an ordinary flu. There is diarrhea, uncontrolled coughing, sneezing and projectile vomiting. All of which volatilize infected particulates into the air. In that case Ebola is "airborne". It is very virulent and will replicate in any host it encounters (gets inside of). Being that it is considered a "level 4" biosafety hazard by the CDC and USAMRIID one should not take lightly any reports that more and more people are exhibiting symptoms.

2 days ago it was 70 or so. Now its 300? Stay tuned...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Whoops. Plague is actually spread from person to person. Thats why they call it plague. It does spread. Ebola sees human meat as purely a growth medium. It burns thru a population the way a fire consumes trees in a forest.

The worst part of ebola is that it literally dissolves human cell walls. As each cell in the body becomes infected it bursts forth "blocks" of new virus into the blood dream. This rupturing of all connective tissues means that in the end, the victim is oozing blood and bile from every orifice (even skin pores). Other symptoms include ones similar to an ordinary flu. There is diarrhea, uncontrolled coughing, sneezing and projectile vomiting. All of which volatilize infected particulates into the air. In that case Ebola is "airborne". It is very virulent and will replicate in any host it encounters (gets inside of). Being that it is considered a "level 4" biosafety hazard by the CDC and USAMRIID one should not take lightly any reports that more and more people are exhibiting symptoms.

2 days ago it was 70 or so. Now its 300? Stay tuned...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The other bummer about any rumor of an outbreak of some kind is that people run away from the infected "zone", some carrying it with them as they go. As the disease progresses there is a lot of excretions left in the form of diarrhea , vomit and coughing or sneezing. Everything the sick person touches becomes "hot" waiting for somebody else to come along and pick it up. Door handles, faucets, seats, whatever.

People who become convinced they may have it will literally hide, remaining in a state of denial or delusion. The disease itself seems to make automatons of its host, they become listless and unmindful of their actions. Very scary zombie-like state where the eyes become red and "fixed" but basic autonomic functions continue. Almost as if the virus is keeping its "host" alive in order to feed, continue replication, until there is no more cells left. Then the crash and bleeding from every orifice. People that die of ebola spill all their blood onto whatever surface they lie and death scenes are very bloody. All of the blood is extremely virulent.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You do raise some serious concerns, some of which I was wondering myself.

Another member talked about the virus being easily killed with harder conditions, like direct sun-light, and that it would only sustain itself in a ideal-condition scenario.

Well, to be honest, any indoors area is pretty much ideal. You have high temperature(or mild), cold temperature (like a kitchen or bathroom), wet and dry... Our living conditions that allow us to live in comfort have all the characteristics for these viruses to live. It's not by chance that some people get sick due to bacterial infections or other types of virus by not having proper conditions, or just by having a faulty wall or ceiling.

I think the spread speed plays against Ebola, since most people take several hours to get inside the plane while waiting at the airport, or making it's way there. But when considering that, we are dismissing the chance of the infection hotspot being in a toilet or water-tap inside the airport.

It's a very nasty bug, this one. It has "specifications" that provide some safety to our health, like being killed by sun-light (considering this virus usually appears in places with a lot of heat and sun), but most of them play against us. 24hour cycles means that it might die on it's own before a massive spread, but IF it does spread, a 24hour cycle of infection would mean no current hospital could keep up with the demand for assistance, let alone care and maintenance.
edit on 4-8-2012 by GarrusVasNormandy because: corrections to text

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

I read your reply and I think your concerns about how Ebola moves from person to person and how long it can live outside the body are valid ones. So I googled it and there a number of opinions on the subject below.

How long does Ebola live outside the body?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Everybody buy lots of bleach just incase!

Ebola is killed by bleach. Handy little fact i learned in biology.

Just dont get it in your hair haha.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Humour me here, how does the "first" person catch it, ie the first person in an outbreak?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
Humour me here, how does the "first" person catch it, ie the first person in an outbreak?

I dont believe they know that for Ebola with complete certainty.

Bats are suspected to be the origin but its not proven.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Insects, carriers? Ive never heard of that.

The great plague (The black death) was primarily carried by rats, it was the fleas on the rats then biting humans that caused it to spread so wide, so the fleas (the insects) were the carriers that spread it so wide to humans. Perhaps this is why the outbreaks of diseases like this spread so well in hot countries like Uganda, there will be a lot more domestic parasitic insects there, such as mosquito's. In the western, developed nations I guess dog and cat fleas would be a bigger problem now although the amount of such parasitic insects has reduced significantly, especially over the last 20 years or so.

I don't see a Ebola pandemic happening unless it has been weaponised, however the variant does seem to have a longer infection stage before it becomes noticeable which could present some problems, I still don't see it spreading outside of its current location, well I really hope it does not.

As for the infected prisoner escaping, if it was a Hollywood plot it would be totally unbelievable, I mean I know Uganda has its problems but how could this guy have not been totally guarded? It beggars belief it really does.

And to those saying Ebola is hard to catch, at least 300 Ugandans would argue against that quite strongly, well they would if they were not fighting for their lives. It is a terrible virus, and we can only pray it does not mutate either naturally or with a scientific helping hand/ This really would be a PTB wet dream for population control if they could weaponise it

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
There is no treatment for Ebola. The authorities are trying to contain it and not doing a very good job.
It's not just this one prisoner that escaped that they have to worry about. There are others that have it and they are roaming the countryside as well, possibly spreading it to others. 300 cases as a base number is HUGE.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by PhoenixOD

According to that video... The local diet includes, monkey's insects and rats, all suspected carriers of the virus?

Mosquito's maybe? I take it you've heard of malaria?

ETA: reply to post by Juggernog

You already said it, sorry, I should have carried on reading the thread. nvm
edit on 4-8-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by PhoenixOD

According to that video... The local diet includes, monkey's insects and rats, all suspected carriers of the virus?

Mosquito's maybe? I take it you've heard of malaria?

Oh come on, do I really have to be specific? We are talking about Ebola here, not malaria or as someone else mentioned, the plague, which was spread by fleas.
I have never heard of insects being carriers of EBOLA, thats what I meant.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant diseases in general. Apologies.

I wonder if they can carry it though, even if only for a short time.
edit on 4-8-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Yea, I saw your edit, no problem.

And I really doubt that they can carry it, even for a short time.
What was mentioned in the video, that I was questioning, was a comment about people getting it from eating monkeys and insects etc..
I guess they really dont know exactly how its spread, its a very mysterious virus.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I've come across a few snippets of information about Ebola infections not only in humans but other creatures as well.

ABSTRACT

Over the past decade, the Zaire strain of Ebola virus (ZEBOV) has repeatedly emerged in Gabon and Congo. Each human outbreak has been accompanied by reports of gorilla and chimpanzee carcasses in neighboring forests, but both the extent of ape mortality and the causal role of ZEBOV have been hotly debated. Here, we present data suggesting that in 2002 and 2003 ZEBOV killed about 5000 gorillas in our study area. The lag between neighboring gorilla groups in mortality onset was close to the ZEBOV disease cycle length, evidence that group-to-group transmission has amplified gorilla die-offs. Source

So the guy who made the escape from the camp has to find food, drink and shelter, if he still remain alive. ?If he is hiding somewhere what trail can we follow that might lead us to conclude the possibility of his whereabouts.

The source of infection for Ebola outbreak is still unknown. However, there is speculation that unidentified vector or reservoir could be responsible (Swanepoel et al. 1996; Leirs et al. 1999; Reiter et al. 1999; Formenty et al. 1999). Several probable reservoirs have been proposed to be responsible for the propagation of the outbreak. For example, non-human primates are susceptible to Ebola infection and disease. Rodents are also known reservoirs for common viruses. Several small mammals such as the shrew have been in contact with Ebola virus; its nucleic acid has been detected in some of their organs, which suggests that they may act as intermediate hosts (Gonzalez et al. 2000; Morvan et al. 2000). Although arthropods are vectors to several viruses including yellow fever, they have not been shown to harbour Ebola virus (Reiter et al. 1999). Studies (Swanepoel et al. 1996) have shown that Ebola virus can replicate in bats without causing the disease. In 1999, 400 bats were tested in Zaire and found free of infection (Breman et al. 1999). Although plant viruses have been proposed to be responsible for maintaining the virus, the hypothesis has not been confirmed (Swanepoel et al. 1996). Source

?Are there any wells or reservoirs in the surrounding area which could be a breeding ground for the virus thus infecting humans in that capacity.

If the escapee has died and not been discovered by the search teams what are the chance of his carcass being consumed by flesh eating animal scavengers and ingesting the virus to spread it further.

It's speculation on my part that this outbreak will spread to other areas before it's finally contained and destroyed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join