It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner with suspected case of Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Prisoner with suspected case of Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda

www.cnn.com

Kagadi, Uganda (CNN) -- One of five prisoners receiving treatment for a suspected case of Ebola virus in Uganda escaped overnight Friday from the hospital at the center of the outbreak, a health official said.

"Should his results come back and he is positive, that causes us a lot of worry. So right now, we have resolved that the remaining prisoners will be cuffed on the beds for fear that they might also escape," said Dr. Jackson Amune, commissioner at the Ministry of Health.

The inmates from Kibaale prison are among 30 people at Kagadi hospital with suspected cases of the virus. Two a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Cause a lot of worry?

I would certainly freaking think so? Does anybody with more medical knowledge know if this is the "treatable" kind?

Smells fishy..although it's probably not, I just think if they wanted to get some crazy virus out in Africa to kill people, it would be a pretty good way to do it...

Though my Tin Foil hat is screwed on pretty tight..probably for no reason

Thoughts?

~Tenth

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If he is infected with Ebola, he wont get far. In fact, hes probably already dead.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

True enough, but it doesn't mean he won't spread it around before then.

They already have 300 suspected cases under isolation. A non-isolated confirmed case could go very badly.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Thats a lot for an Ebola outbreak. If there are 300 plus infected, it would place it in the top 3 or so outbreaks since 1976.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Does anybody with more medical knowledge know if this is the "treatable" kind?

Unfortunately Ebola cannot be treated:

There are currently no proven Ebola treatment options that can kill the Ebola virus. Ebola treatment focuses on providing relief of Ebola symptoms as the body fights the virus. This is called supportive care.

Death occurs in 50 to 90 percent of Ebola cases. Ebola research scientists do not understand why some patients are able to recover from Ebola hemorrhagic fever and others are not; however, it is known that Ebola victims usually have not developed a significant immune response to the Ebola virus at the time of death.

ebola.emedtv.com...

If you get Ebola, you better hope you fall into the percentage of people who are able to survive. The survival rate depends on the strain. They claim that the strain in this outbreak is Ebola-Sudan.

The UN World Health Organization has identified the strain in Kibaale as Ebola-Sudan, the same strain responsible for some 425 infections and 224 deaths in Uganda in 2000-2001 and one death in 2011; another strain, Ebola-Bundibugyo - named after a western Ugandan district - killed some 42 people in the country in 2007-2008.

Byaruhanga also said health officials did not recognize the Sudan strain, which can achieve a 70 percent fatality rate, as it presented differently from the previous Bundibugyo strain, with a 30-40 percent fatality rate; patients presented with fever and vomiting rather than the more typical haemorrhaging usually associated with Ebola.

allafrica.com...

My concern is that this might be a mutated strain, but there is no proof of this yet.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

My concern is somebody gets on a plane and all of the sudden we have Europe and other places infected..

Could be a really bad scene if this doesn't get under control.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
God dammit this sounds just like a movie script.

I don't like it one bit.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That certainly is a concern of mine as well. I will share a post I submitted on the thread that discussed the original outbreak:

I wonder if anyone from Uganda or surrounding countries are attending the olympics. It would be a major disaster if an athlete from one of these countries or a tourist who visited these countries contracted ebola and attended the olympics and caused it to spread.

Not trying to fear monger just throwing out the possibility. I hope they contain this outbreak for the good of the people of Uganda and any other place that might be affected.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If any of the situations we mentioned were to occur it could turn out to be very messy depending on how contagious this strain is. It appears to be very contagious according to the reports that I've seen so far but I'm no expert, I'm just going by the reports which could be exaggerated.

I sure hope they are exaggerating but I believe this to be the real deal.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Now THAT'S a conspiracy if I ever saw one.

It made front page news too, which to me is a bit strange, considering the MSM usually would keep this sort of thing under wraps.

ETA: A friend of mine just told me that it's awfully similar to a Tom Clancy Book. Rainbow Six.

~Tenth
edit on 8/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
As far as i know Ebola like all the diseases with a very high mortality rate is quite hard to transmit.

I watched a documentary with the head of infectious tropical diseases for the UK and he said that all his students were interested in the super dangerous virus's like Ebola because of their lethality but in reality they are very hard to catch so not much of a threat.

edit on 3-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Ebola is one of those diseases that, unless it mutated in a significant fashion (the engineered kind), it would not have the capability of becoming a pandemic. This is because with most cases, the onset of symptoms is usually within 24 hours. In order to become an epidemic, the disease would need people that do not appear to be sick in and amongst the general population. The effects of Ebola are so overt that I don't think anyone with any sense would let them on a plane.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No, Ebola is hard to spread. It comes from close contact with another person's fluids. Sneezing won't do it either. Human strains are not airborne and filo-viruses are very fragile. Sunlight will kill them. In a first world setup Ebola isn't going to kill many people. We aren't regularly coming into contact with other people's bodily fluids as we have sewers, plastic gloves and other neat hygienically (sp) sound things.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is like the beginning of a virus horror movie.

From what i have been reading about this bug, there is a pretty long incubation period, which is bad. With a short incubation period (2 or 3 days) Ebola infects and kills so fast it stops the spread. With a 21 day incubation period, people can get infected and then travel anywhere on the planet before they know they are infected, and infect many many people before anyone knows it's ebola.

It looks like it might have a little lower mortality rate, but a 50% mortality rate is still insanely bad. Also it seems that the symptoms are a little milder, with less bleeding than usual. Also not good because it is harder to identify.

So I'm hoping it will stay contained, but this strain is stealthier and has a longer incubation time, so it could be the captain tripps from the stand.

I have been watching this outbreak. There was a pretty bad one in 2007 that was scary. I think this one is getting close to surpassing that one.

Hopefully it didn't make it to the olympics, because that could seriously cause a doomsday scenario.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here's the wiki on Ebola Virus.
Ebola Virus - Wiki

Citations in the link list historical cases/outbreaks and the associated fatality rate.

For instance: 2012 Kibaale District, Western Uganda 20/16 (80%)
In other words, this year, in Kibaale, Uganda, where 16 people died out of 20 infected.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Well, I think more than 20 have been infected, and you can't really tell the mortality rate until the outbreak is over, but 80% death rate is pretty normal for ebola.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

As the Wiki shows, so far there have been 5 identified strains of Ebola, named after the regions in which they were first discovered.

With a slower incubation rate than previously seen, and with slighter and harder to detect symptoms at the onset of the infection, could this current outbreak be a six variation?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

Well, I think more than 20 have been infected, and you can't really tell the mortality rate until the outbreak is over, but 80% death rate is pretty normal for ebola.

Thats untreated..with treatment it can go down to 50%. Buts its still high.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I'm pretty certain with that specific outbreak it really was 20 infections with 16 deaths.
If you read over the link, you'll see cases with ratios listed in the hundreds, like; 318/280 (88%) for the outbreak in 1976.
It it was merely a representative fraction to express 80%, they could have simply put 5/4 (80%) instead of using 20/16.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

This is a sketchy one here. I would hope they find this guy or he is already dead because this could cause some serious problems. Not only for Africa but may be the world as a whole. Maybe I am overthinking it, but then again maybe not.

Interesting none the less S/F!

-SAP-

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join