It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating Cities of the Future

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by old_god
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

What happens when these structures get hit by a big wave or the torrent of the sea?

I would like to think that they were engineered to withstand that. Otherwise, how could they get a permit to build?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Just saw your Op what a cool way of life. I was thinking about how in some peoples visions of alternate realities there are floating cities with waterfalls and such. I really like the concept but with the oceans rising and the fact we are a water based world it may not be such a bad idea to have these types of communities in place for those 500,000 who survive the coming global disasters that take out the rest of the poor fools.

Seriously, when tsunamis and tropical storms come it would be wicked to be rocking on one of those sea faring adobes.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Sorry for the late response, I totally thought this thread concept was cool too.

I wish i could experience some of these models.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
What about the Fish?!

Why must humans settle in areas that don't belong to them!

NO to land settlement, No to ocean settlement!

Only place left is space.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I agree that there is always the possibility to corrupt and pollute more of our earth by populating previously uninhabitable places such as the vast ocean, but many of the models were self sustaining and also had a "green" theme, one of them even were supposed to clean up that plastic goop the size of Texas in the Pacific.

Of course no matter how safe something is there is always the possibility for disaster, especially if created by humans.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Reading through your thread, the image that came into my mind was Water World...

Though a better adapted remake using one of these designs sounds amazing if Hollywood can pull it off.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Here is another really cool concept...a bit different than the floating cities but I thought it belonged in this post. It incorporates floating and air in an environmentally friendly way.

Algae Airships

& here is a link to the website I was reading regarding these algae airships. It's called the Hydrogenase Project.

vincent.callebaut.org...

I just always wonder why we aren't seeing these new and improved earth friendly cities built and tested? If they are suppose to be so good for the environment and what not then what are we waiting for? I guess these architects and builders need someone to latch on to their ideas due to $$$ / funding? Why is it so hard for us to push forward with change especially when it appears that it will be beneficial.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I also thought of Water World but with a more modern twist

Imagine a world where we had no choice but to live like that, with today's advancements in technology it would be kind of cool. We would have to make the best of a bad situation.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Thanks for sharing

That floating concept very interesting and I would like to see it put into action.

It shames me that many of these ideas could be put to good use but TPTB don't want that unless it works in their financial favor

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is an awesome concept, however difficult to fund I would guess.....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
already hate the future |:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
There is this site called skycraper competition, here's an interesting sustainable building

Housed within 55,000 glaciers in the Himalaya Mountains sits 40 percent of the world’s fresh water. The massive ice sheets are melting at a faster-than-ever pace due to climate change, posing possible dire consequences for the continent of Asia and the entire world stand, and especially for the villages and cities that sit on the seven rivers that come are fed from the Himalayas’ runoff as they respond with erratic flooding or drought. The “Himalaya Water Tower” is a skyscraper located high in the mountain range that serves to store water and helps regulate its dispersal to the land below as the mountains’ natural supplies dry up. The skyscraper, which can be replicated en masse, will collect water in the rainy season, purify it, freeze it into ice and store it for future use. The water distribution schedule will evolve with the needs of residents below; while it can be used to help in times of current drought, it’s also meant to store plentiful water for future generations.

Evolo
edit on 28-9-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join