It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating Cities of the Future

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
When I was a kid...all they talked about was Humans being able to live in vast undersea domes. I was highly attracted to this idea since I have always been one Hell of a Swimmer as well as I am a Diver along with My Girl trained in some very advanced skills. I have used Heliox and Trimix and if any of you are old enough to remember watching The World of Jacques-Yves Cousteau TV Specials in the 60's and The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau...curiously brought to us by DuPont...a Chemical Company....these shows usually shown at 8pm on a Sunday Night....had me convinced that we would all be living underwater and Sea Farming Fish.

This is one thing that I know without a question...the Worlds Oceans...although beautiful above and beneath the surface...are the DEADLIEST MOST LETHAL PLACES ON EARTH. I am a VERY well trained and EXPERIENCED DIVER...but I am NOTHING compared to what the Ocean can suddenly produce within minutes.

Floating Cities in Protected Harbors...maybe. Floating Cities upon the Ocean....would need to be the size of a NIMITZ CLASS CARRIER and be fully Nuclear Powered to exist within the Worlds Oceans. The smaller ships that are part of a U.S. Carrier Group...and they are not so small...say even a Destroyer...a person would be upchucking lunch every time heavy swells or a storm passed.

As far as Massive Subs...the U.S. and Russians have these too...but such enclosure takes a toll on a person. The U.S. Navy is whispered to have OCEAN GOING WATER JETS of great speed and stealth. I have also heard whispers of Covert Ops Ocean Housing which is basically an almost fully submerged sleep and staging Ocean House that can be towed or prepositioned anywhere in the Worlds Waters.

So...in REALITY....since a Nimitz Class Carrier is home to over 5000 people...we already HAVE CITIES IN THE OCEAN! These Carriers are to be replaced by the New GERALD R. FORD CLASS and will not only remain Cities of the Seas but also be home to the U.S. Navy's and Military's as well as home to the U.S. Weapon that will make the FEAR OF NUCLEAR WAR OBSOLETE. They will all house the Free Electron Laser...the only DIRECT ENERGY WEAPON that has been tested and is capable of VAPORIZING all NUCLEAR WARHEADS attached to or deployed in any varieties of methods or forms and this includes Suit Case Nukes...on the face of the Earth.

This is possible because of several reasons...1. The FEL is a LASER that works like a PARTICLE BEAM but without the nasty Radiation Effects. 2. When Fully Installed...on all Carriers and Cruisers as well as Land Based and perhaps even a Aircraft Mounted version...with the help of Multiple Super Computers and a Specialized Satellite Mirrored System and interconnected to a World Wide Radiation Detection Net...will be able to locate every Nuclear Fuel Source on EARTH. 3. Because of the Carriers and Aegis Cruisers that will house the FEL's they can cover the GLOBE with ability to VAPORIZE TARGETS at the SPEED OF LIGHT. I like the idea that we can stop the insanity of a NUCLEAR LAUNCH...and have the ability to VAPORIZE ALL TARGETS with a precision that has never before existed. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

problem with floating cities on the surface is that they will sink with current materials. When the waves pick up during storms, the city would be caught on the apexs of the waves putting the pressure on cetral points that would not be able to withstand the shifting loads put on them. Basically it would be the edmund fitzderald all over again.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
As wonderful as these places look? As much as I enjoy the thought? And really - some of those pics are just incredible beautiful?

I HOPE THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!!

Isn't it bad enough we've already raped and ruined the terra? Now we have to DOINK UP the oceans too?

Great thread though! S&F!

peace

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You would probably like the recycling one.... it was a self sustaining module while it ate up that plastic goop in the Pacific. Imagine if we could install a bunch of those...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'd rather keep my head in the clouds:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Interesting post OP.

Didn't get through the whole thread reactions but here's a link to a Belgian architect blog who designed floating cities shaped like lilypads. These are (theoretically) able to host 50.000 and are environment friendly.

One has to wait until 2100 to see these wonders float according to the blog.

Floating Cities (french material but cool pics have a look)

I find this wonderful but I higly doubt this would be a smart thing to build as a tsunami would sink it in a second.
Sky floating cities must be developped when antigravity will be a common knowledge... (if it goes mainstream someday...one can dream)
Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
These ideas for floating and undersea habitats and structures are visionary and amazing. Although right now only about 10-12% of the Earths surface is used by humans in some way, there's alot more space to go around. In fact if used correctly and conservatively, the planet can provide for tens of billions of people in the future. There are more than enough resources and arable land, they just would have to be more efficiently and effectively used.

Earth isn't going to be looking like Coruscant anytime soon though.....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Cool

I prefer the Sky Floating ones like
Zeal fro Chrono Trigger

th03.deviantart.net...
www.blog.jaychan.net...
rpgsquare.files.wordpress.com...

could be related to Atlantis in some way....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

What's wrong with the floating city in the sky in The Empire Strikes Back ?

- Cloud City -

It looked pretty good to me. They just needed more plants and fewer stormtroopers.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

insulation with silicon/carbon based aerogels will neutralize any temperature fluctuation issues.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Have you any other contribution other than spamming FEL everywhere?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
They can just as easily become prisons.It's not like you can walk away from an underwater,or floating city for that matter.
edit on 4-8-2012 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Have you any other contribution other than spamming FEL everywhere?

My only regret is that not enough people are aware of the FEL. This Topic was about Floating Cities of the Future. I was pointing out that the Future is NOW! Also...since any other form of Civilian Constructed Ocean Going Cities will need PROTECTION...in the same way that our Land Based Cities do and have...and most likely these Cities will be developed by countries with High Tech as well as having a very large Coast Line such as the United States and many E.U. nations who are our allies...as it is doubtful that Russia will build them...but many South East Asian countries may and also Nations such as Taiwan that will outgrow it's land living area as well as Japan given the Tectonic Plate Shifts that occur in the Pacific Basin which is known as the Ring of Fire...thus these Countries can only build buildings up so High due to Earthquakes...PROTECTION of these Ocean Cities will be needed. The FEL is the ULTIMATE FORM OF PROTECTION.

You do not seem to understand how Big of a Deal this is and how this will change many things...especially Warfare and as the Atomic Bomb changed the World...so will this...but to an even GREATER DEGREE.
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Russia has scalar/torsional weapons so your FEL benefits are negated.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Russia has scalar/torsional weapons so your FEL benefits are negated.

The Russian are Smart Cookies...and if it were not for the fact that they micromanage their Scientists to Death...Russia could be a generator of many High Tech. devices.

The problem that the Russians also encounter is that if any Russian Scientist or Physicist gets the chance to visit the States...THEY STAY! LOL! Better Pay!

But even though I have GREAT RESPECT for Russian Tech....they simply are not even CLOSE to many Black Programs the U.S. Military and Military Associated Corps. have achieved. For instance. The Russians...knowing that LASERS could be effected by atmosphere opted decades ago to focus on PARTICLE BEAM WEAPONS...Particle Beams can cut through atmospheric issues. It WAS A DISASTER! It worked...but at the price of irradiating those who operated the weapon.

The U.S. has had a Greater Knowledge Bank to draw from and other things that cannot be talked about that have placed the U.S. Multiple Decades to even in some cases a CENTURY or more ahead of everyone else in TECH. R&D. This by no way takes away anything from the Brilliance of Russian Scientists...but at this point...the GAP is too large to catch up with what is going on in the U.S. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

lasers and particle beams were achieved in the russian cosmosphere.Maybe you should read Peter Beter's newsletter.
and now its scalar weapons and bioweapons that are top dog.Both Russia and USA have them.

And really stop spamming your nonsense again and again.This topic is about floating cities not aircraft carriers or FEL's.
edit on 5-8-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mkgandhas

That was my point...a Carrier is a Floating City and just like any city...it needs protection. If you cannot see that logic then...that is your issue...not mine. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

What happens when these structures get hit by a big wave or the torrent of the sea?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017

I'd rather keep my head in the clouds

Join me! I could use the company hahahaha

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nice pics, if it would happen
Wait, 1 of them already happened.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>